Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replacing Door Sill Name Plate?? Can it be done?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM
cmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of light
Replacing Door Sill Name Plate?? Can it be done?

I'm looking at a car that had the optional door-sill plate with the former owners name on it. I'm keen on replacing that with a regular door sill so I don't have to look at this guys name every time I get in. Admittedly it might be ego driven, but has anyone tackled this on their car?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:57 AM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
Yep. When I bought mine they were personalized to the previous owner. Replacements (unpersonalized) are about $175 / pop. I bought mine here: http://astonmartinbits.com/models/5-V8-Vantage/parts/603

Last edited by telum01; 10-29-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Per forum rules, please do not post active links to non-sponsor vendor listings.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Erik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond repute
the oem name plates are bolted to the door sill plate - we remove them and swap them over to our CF sills -you should have no problem replacing them

Old 10-28-2015, 12:28 PM
cmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the feedback...

Old 10-29-2015, 10:45 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
You can also take the plates to an engraving shop and use the back side.. The screws are countersunk, so you may want to countersink the back side of the holes just a bit.

My problem is I am the 3rd owner, and already have TWO other guys names on my plate!

Old 10-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Former Vendor
Erik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
You can also take the plates to an engraving shop and use the back side.. The screws are countersunk, so you may want to countersink the back side of the holes just a bit.

My problem is I am the 3rd owner, and already have TWO other guys names on my plate!
Charlie at Tikor (i think they are board sponsor) can do custom laser engraving - might be cool to do a totally custom, one off plate of your design - they are in your neck of the woods as well

Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Erik@RSC
Charlie at Tikor (i think they are board sponsor) can do custom laser engraving - might be cool to do a totally custom, one off plate of your design - they are in your neck of the woods as well
I hadn't thought of doing it in titanium... that'd be awesome!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 PM
One thing I'm wondering, I'm looking at a Vanquish and unlike the Vantage it appears there are no screws for just the name plate. Anyone done this with a Vanquish?

Old 10-29-2015, 12:58 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I sent TiKore a PM about getting a set made. I can send in my own plates for templates, so we'll see what happens

Pretty sure the weight loss will be negligible, but it all adds up. I'm mostly in it for the customized engraving.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
When I bought my Vantage I had the dealer replace them with new sill plates with my name on them as part of the deal. Now it looks like I was the first owner.
Ron

Old 10-29-2015, 02:07 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
any person who can use a CNC machine can make custom parts I do it all the time (as a Hobby) here is a link to what im talking about.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...w+sill+plates+

its not everyone taste and the boys with the bowler hats and bad weather denounced it, if you want to fit the plates with no screws some TF200 clear tape will do it

Machining Titanium is something I must still try but I am sure the billet will be expensive?

Im busy maching a complete intake manifold and will ceracoat the internals can only imagine if Telum was close what we would make for these cars

Old 10-29-2015, 02:26 PM
I might be wrong, but I believe titanium is a lot more difficult to work with than aluminum. And yeah, definitely more expensive. But you can do cool stuff with it - polish it for a bright finish, bead blast it for a matte finish, burn it for a blue finish (and variations of that blue finish)

Old 06-22-2016, 03:31 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by telum01
I might be wrong, but I believe titanium is a lot more difficult to work with than aluminum. And yeah, definitely more expensive. But you can do cool stuff with it - polish it for a bright finish, bead blast it for a matte finish, burn it for a blue finish (and variations of that blue finish)
Did you ever get these done by Tikore or anyone else? just noticed recently mine also have the name of the 1st owner on them and would like to get them replaced.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Did you ever get these done by Tikore or anyone else? just noticed recently mine also have the name of the 1st owner on them and would like to get them replaced.
Nope, they did the "we'll get back to you" thing a couple times so I moved on.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
When I bought my 2007 Vantage two years ago. I asked the Dealer as part of the purchase agreement to replace the sill plate with my name rather than the original owner . They ordered the sill plates for me and in two weeks had them for me from Aston Martin, and replace them. It was very easy I believe they're held on with small screws at least in my car.
Ron

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing Door Sill Name Plate?? Can it be done?