Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

This might not be popular but does anyone rent out their cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:11 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by alexhuth
I see it at as an opportunity to own more vehicles. If they pay for themselves then why not. It's the same as someone renting out their vacation home.

My Aston isn't a daily driver I only use it about once a week. Just like my money, I want it to work for me.

And it's really just a consideration. I'm still not hard set in the idea. That's why I am asking other people if they have any experience to share.
I don't rent out my holiday home, it's a personal place, with respect you will need to have had a large amount of rentals to buy another toy?
I would think that most who own Aston Martins as a toy / second or in my case a third car do not need or care about that small amount of money not working?
Just my personal thought

Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by captain Greg
I don't rent out my holiday home, it's a personal place, with respect you will need to have had a large amount of rentals to buy another toy?
I would think that most who own Aston Martins as a toy / second or in my case a third car do not need or care about that small amount of money not working?
Just my personal thought
I can definitely understand it. I bought my Aston because I'm an automotive enthusiast and connected perfectly with the car. But I'm hardly wealthy. I can afford my car because I work on it myself and I make extra money on the side from other small ventures that basically afford me some "fun" money so I'm not stretched too thin by my cars, lifestyle, or the ludicrous cost of housing in the Washington DC area.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 PM
alexhuth will become famous soon enough
So I guess the consensus is that nobody rents their car out!

People are indeed touchy about this subject. I can totally understand.

These cars for most people aren't just "toys". They are a passion and something to be appreciated. You care for it, so that it will care for you.

I think you all are right. Renting the car would not be a good decision.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:00 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by alexhuth

These cars for most people aren't just "toys". They are a passion and something to be appreciated. You care for it, so that it will care for you.
Well Said.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:36 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ncamv8
Well Said.
Agreed!

Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Korntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura about
Wow, this is an odd coincidence tonight. I was searching craigslist for exotic cars and came across a exotic rental company but people list their own cars. I don't know who sets rates as I did not look into it, but found this Lambo.
https://classicsandexotics.com/car/64/
I literally just posted this on Lambo talk since dreamers always come in asking about renting exotic cars. I have no affiliation with that site or the car.

So not 5 minutes after posting a friend sent me a facebook request asking if I know anybody renting a Lamborghini(she doesn't know I have one as I don't post it on facebook). While chatting with her I come here and see this thread... Odd!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:54 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Words of caution

Our cars are fragile, both their appearance and function. They are not bullet proof or idiot proof.

Expensive original purchase means expensive repair throughout its lifetime.

If you want proof let me offer a friend's experience with very minor front end damage to an 07 Vantage which cost $9100 to fix. Damage was limited to a broken grille, the front 3/4" of hood and passenger side fender. Closing speed with the target vehicle, maybe 2mph.

The hood and grille were replaced. That aluminum hood cost more than $4000. Bodyshop labor at our dealer, Aston Martin of Troy, is $100/hr. And the car was in the dealers possession for almost a month.

For a mechanical example I suggest you search this forum for V8V clutches, perhaps our most easily damaged system. The mechanical/electrical/hydraulic labor rate at our dealer is $150/hr.

Also look into component costs...you will be amazed. Plus our dealer has a shop practice that replaces every fastener removed will be replaced with new at AM retail prices. Also consider engine oil at $15 and transaxle fluid at $110/litre should any of that in those exposed front and rear coolers be disturbed in a mishap.

It is hard to believe a tale of successful rental business experience with AM cars unless you own an Aston Martin dealership.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I think we are all passionate about Aston Martin's the brand is emotive, the car seduces in its stance (in my eyes anyway)
No matter if its a third car or DD, we all value our Aston (I let mates ride my Jap bike, I dont let the ever test or ride my Ducati)

I have no issue asking a bud to quickly collect my Land Rover at X or Y and bring it to me or collect my wife if I am unable, but the Aston no way.

Its just special

If I had a Lambo or a Porsche I would feel about it as I do my Jap Bike,

As said above a Aston is easily damaged and for the skeptics I table that when we are in the traffic we are not easily noticed because an Aston is just a gentleman's sports car, but notice how people are courteous to you in the traffic, if you were in a different exotic that screams please notice me, they think your a dick, personally a person who needs to rent an exotic be it Aston or any other is trying to be something they are not. You can rent from Avis big Mercs and 7 series BMW off the shelf, so if its safety and comfort you need the standard rentals offer it all....you have to earn the right to drive an Aston

But its just my opinion

Last edited by captain Greg; 11-05-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
If I had a high mileage or track Aston, I would consider it. Eventhough mine might be an 07, it only has 14k miles and the paint is flawless. I get nervous when my wife takes it out, which isn't very often.

Think of the guy wanting to rent it...on one hand, he obviously is putting a decent amount of money on the table, between $500 and $2k, but you know he is going to push it's limits. Is he/she a capable driver at those speeds? They are usually renting it to be seen, hence will be parking near other yahoos. So many ways the aston can be damaged...

Again, if my car already had some dings or scuffs, I would consider it. But I don't think the market is big enough to support another vehicle suppleness by rental income.