Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wheel arch liner removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Ekaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the rough
Wheel arch liner removal

This last weekend I attempted to remove the wheel arch liner on my 2005 DB9 to change out the door struts and the side marker light. I jacked up the car and removed the wheel. I unscrewed the numerous bolts, but could not figure out how to remove the liner as I didn't want to undo the entire underbody. I checked the workshop manual, but did not see anything that helped and was hoping someone on here could provide some guidance (and perhaps photos) of how to remove the liner to access the struts. Do I need to take the entire liner out to get to the struts? Also, I purchased the 10mm flex head racketing wrench as discussed in other threads to remove the side marker lights, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be the correct size. Would it be easier to remove the air box to gain access or is that an even bigger struggle?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan

Old 11-09-2015, 03:47 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
I've only done this once, but basically there are a whole lot of bolts to remove inside the wheel well. There are a couple under the flat part behind the fender and the front of the fender liner had a couple that go into the front bumper lip black plastic too. I ended up unscrewing about half of the front lip at a time for each side.

Once everything is unscrewed, it may be a bit stuck and just needs a few firm taps to break it loose from road grime. Then, you just have to be a bit forceful to wiggle and fold it inwards and it eventually just pops loose.

You'll do the other side in half the time, experience is everything.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:13 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Forum Search?

Presume you read this thread?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...or-struts.html

Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Ekaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DonL
I did read that and got stuck at the wheel liner part. It seemed like it was a lot more complicated and after I removed what I believe were all the screws, I could not get it to come out and did not want to harm anything.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
Ethan,

Where was it stuck? Front/back or just all over?

Road grime can stick some stuff together. I sort of pulled on the inner pieces that go around the side of the suspension mounts, loosening from the center, then both forwards and backwards and that did it for me. The outside edge sort of fits into the bodywork/fender and just pops when it's all loose. It's stiff plastic, but you do have to push/pull it a bit to loosen. If it's still rigid after that, it sounds like you may have missed some screws.