Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Why does everyone say the Vantage is so heavy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:33 PM
SUFitness is on a distinguished road
Why does everyone say the Vantage is so heavy?

Hey guys, I recently got my 15 Vantage GT, and to my knowledge it weighs about 3700 lbs

It's not light weight, yeah, but when I mention to other car guys about possibly taking it to the track, they all say: "Oh No! The car's way too heavy for that!"

How is this when the new Ford GT350 is 3700 lbs. The Camaro Z28 is 3800 lbs.

Heck even my old e92m3 is 3700 lbs. And it's seen many track days.

Am I missing something here? I know there's one forum member who tracks his Vantage. I'm starting to feel the Vantage is too fragile to take to the track.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:59 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
The weight may be on the higher side but the car is incredibly light on it's feet and depriving a 4.7l dry sumped motor from track duty is just wrong. I routinely track my 2000# fully race prepped cobra replica, my 3029# Lotus Evora and my 2012 V8V. The vantage is very composed and gets better and better as the speed increases. On a tight tract the Vantage is probably not the best choice but regardless of the course it is far from fragile, always composed and by far the best looking car in its run group. It can keep up with anything out there and still drive you home from the track in comfort.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:55 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Vantages are hefty cars but as you point out, they are not alone in this regard. I think a lot of people (including journalists) think they should be compared to cars like the 911 or Corvette, and there is no question they are heavier than the contemporary editions of those models.

As papigko says, they are quite competent on the track, and IME are certainly able to take the abuse. I wouldn't describe them as fragile. But they are expensive when it comes to consumables like brakes and tires, and you probably shouldn't track them if you are squeamish of the cost for breaking something or having an off.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Who's heavy, not me!

Need proof of its girth/heft? Weigh yours (or consult an internet source) then compare the Vantage to its competitors like Jag F-type, C-7 Corvette, current 911 Porsche or other of your choice. You will find:
-the newish Jag, a push,
-Corvette, with same powertrain configuration, a 200# or so advantage
-Porsche, a 400# advantage (just a flat 6, but accommodation for 4).

There are lots of variables to be considered, equipment levels, target market, age of product line, engineering support, etc. These can be used for explanation or justification, however, facts are facts.

Are these relative mass/girth positions permanent? Maybe, but we know the motivation on all the players is the same, down. And that's a good thing.

There is evidence, however, an existing automotive advantage will be jealously defended. Example, 2016 Mazda Miata, tested by Road and Track mag, weighed almost 250# less than the previous model (2013) they had tested. The new car weighed in at just 2313#.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I agree with everything above.

The main problem with perceived heft is that the car was intended to compete with the 911 and, as Flinder pointed out, that car is 400 lbs lighter than the V8V.

If you tear into the car, you can see where a lot of the weight comes from. Despite using a lot of lightweight materials and construction techniques, the weight still adds up.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
But most people don't track their cars so the weight difference is not important except for the 0-60, N ring junkies who love to rattle off stats from magazines and web sites. It doesn't help that all the reviews come at it from a track perspective, which in real life is good for 1% of owners, but fabulous for all the wannabees. If you track it it's a big deal, but if you don't it really isn't.

I still believe if your main focus is the track you should probably own something else. But if you enjoy a very good sports car on public roads that is like no other car and just makes you feel good, an Aston is great.

Last edited by deckman; 11-11-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 AM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
I am hoping to track my Aston sometime soon to burn through those Bridgestones. But I am worried about off track events and will probably only push it 80-90%. I have tracked my BMWs extensively in the past but didn't have issues with pushing the limits of them. The Aston is in great shape and I would hate to mar the paint with pebbles.

I would recommend Tracwrap or similar product to protect the front end from chips and pebbles especially if you are running in a bigger group of cars.

With proper prep, I don't see why the Aston wouldn't be an incredibly fun track car.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
It's not a light car but I wouldn't call it heavy either, by modern standards.

As far as durability - consider this. Up until mid-2012, the GT4 race car had a production engine with upgraded bearings. Now they have forged rods and a bit of head work. But the GT4 race cars, which run 24 hour races, get thrashed in sprint racing, have very little difference to the road cars as compared to say a 302R or Z28 World Challenge car.

You can break anything if you mistreat it, get unlucky or run out of talent. But I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take a Vantage to the track. They are more than capable.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-11-2015, 11:11 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
It's amazing how much of the road cars carry over to the GT4. I don't think twice about tracking mine. It can definitely handle it so long as you're fine with some extra maintenance, and a little more wear and tear.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:30 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Appearing on an internet screen near you

Saw a video by Chris Harris that ties nicely into this discussion. Chris is a noted Brit auto writer/racer. He was performing an extensive road and track new car test of current model Vantage, F-type and 911 convertibles. During the test he wondered how the Porsche, a vehicle of mostly steel sheet construction could deliver the sense of lightness and agility especially relative to the mostly aluminum structured Aston and Jag. He concluded "British aluminium is just lead in disguise".

A parts clerk at my AM/Jag dealer, during an over the counter discussion a couple of years ago, said the British cars they sell are "over engineered". Maybe that's it.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:11 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
In summary, people who say a Vantage isn't a great track car, quite literally do not know what they are talking about. Numbers (the ones most thrown around) are almost entirely irrelevant for predicting real world driving experience on roads or tracks. 0-60? When is that meaningful? Ever? Max hp, max torque? Again, meaningless without broader context. Compared to a GP motorcycle, any car is a fat pig. Amazingly, many cars manage to go around the same tracks as the motos. Context! Weight means nothing without context.

At speed, the torque of the 4.7 is wonderful. The weight balance and rigidity of the chassis are confidence inspiring. Earlier models had less braking surface and they were fine. Your GT with more brake power is even better.

The only reason NOT to track a Vantage is if you are uncomfortable with the cost/benefit math due to the consumables and the risk (because you're on a track).

Old 11-11-2015, 09:52 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
It's just not that nimble around the track as a factory setup. I would prefer a BMW of 3700lbs over the Aston.

I tracked my 07 V8 and 14 V8. Sounds great on the track. But the engine pickup is not as quick especially on the corner exit. The suspension way too soft. Lots of body roll. And with the weight, it takes a way to get the car to rotate. Brakes are good on the 14 (cos of the 6pot) otherwise rather lacking for the previous years' 4pot. For that, I tracked once for each car. Just to cross it off my list of to-dos.

I did however track my R8 V10 more than once. This car is as heavy as the Aston. But the power pick up is amazing. Suspension and quattro weren't too shabby either.

Of course, I get it. It's apples and oranges. No one buys an Aston expecting it to be a full blown track car.

Just track the car you like. Who cares what pple say. I swore I saw a mini van once on the track. It's not like we are winning trophies at track day events.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:23 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Personally, I wouldn't track my new V8V MT any more than I would drive it in a snow storm.
It is a wonderful touring car....perhaps the best I have ever owned but it simply can't do everything well. If race tracks were my thing, I would own a Porsche GT3.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:51 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=V8Vin;4426811

Just track the car you like. Who cares what pple say. I swore I saw a mini van once on the track. It's not like we are winning trophies at track day events.[/QUOTE]

That is very similar to what I usually tell the guys that I hang out with at the track who obsess on lap times. "Even if I beat the track record it's not like I will be able to retire on the prize money or even take a day out of work for that matter"

Have fun and enjoy what your toys can do and if you can't get over what they cant do. I think Robert Pirsig put it best "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Old 11-12-2015, 01:25 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold

I love taking my 2013 V8 S to the track... and on the local twisties as well...<br/>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone say the Vantage is so heavy?