Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Why does everyone say the Vantage is so heavy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:07 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by V8Vin
It's just not that nimble around the track as a factory setup. I would prefer a BMW of 3700lbs over the Aston.

I tracked my 07 V8 and 14 V8. Sounds great on the track. But the engine pickup is not as quick especially on the corner exit. The suspension way too soft. Lots of body roll. And with the weight, it takes a way to get the car to rotate. Brakes are good on the 14 (cos of the 6pot) otherwise rather lacking for the previous years' 4pot. For that, I tracked once for each car. Just to cross it off my list of to-dos.

I did however track my R8 V10 more than once. This car is as heavy as the Aston. But the power pick up is amazing. Suspension and quattro weren't too shabby either.

Of course, I get it. It's apples and oranges. No one buys an Aston expecting it to be a full blown track car.

Just track the car you like. Who cares what pple say. I swore I saw a mini van once on the track. It's not like we are winning trophies at track day events.
Couldn't agree more with the last statement. However, some of your other comments IMHO are a bit odd:

What BMW would you prefer to track? Engine wise, a V8 M3 surely will have better throttle response, but from a handling perspective both will have a pretty similar balance given their similar layouts, and I'll take OEM Aston brakes with proper pads any day over OEM M3 brakes with the same.

Re: the differences between the newer V8V and older ones on brakes - I doubt the number of caliper pistons has much to do with any braking improvement. Probably has more to do with larger pads and greater front disc diameter.

Speaking of apples and oranges, R8V10 vs V8V? Mid engine AWD vs. front engine RWD, and just a small power discrepancy.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:19 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
re: old vs new brake calipers

If you're tracking your car, get better pads for it. I never had any issues with my 4-piston "old" calipers and track pads. On street pads, I had to ease it into heavy braking zones.

re: tracking your Aston

Obviously I'm a fan. I love this car on track. It's heavy there, but fine on the streets. Plus, I can go from a full track day to a Morton's and they'll leave the car in front of the restaurant, even dirtied up with track grime and number decals.

It'll never be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest and one that is universally loved. And they're wonderful cars, a track lets you better appreciate it.