Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

More cheapskate advice needed re satnav screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Markchip is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input - I was getting a bit worried for a minute! The other pdf's earlier have given me what I think I'll need to reassemble the unit. The biggest problem I face now is finding the right replacement screen - of exactly the same dimensions - with the appropriate features I need, ie at least 2 inputs. Shouldn't take too long now. I hope!!

Thanks everyone, for all your input and encouragement. Cheers, Mark

Old 07-06-2016, 05:51 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bluecab
Simon,
Did you get around to installing that Garmin?
I need to find a garmin to use on a trip to France this fall and would be able to kill two birds with one stone if this unit could later be retro fitted to a DB9
Not yet. Currently enjoying my Europe holiday break but plan to tackle this when back home in August. Will post any progress here.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:15 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Teaser..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_2142510.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	454974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_2149360.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	454975  
Old 08-01-2016, 01:25 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sdekoning
Teaser..
Please when you write this up, explain the whole process. I know you write great instructions for your process, but this one will definitely get attention for many years to come. Thanks

Last edited by SheriffDep; 08-04-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:50 AM
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Very nice sir!!!
Ok, which model Garmin did you use? IS any of them ok as long as they are the correct thickness, height, width etc..?

If you can let us know, I am sure this will be copied. I know I will for dam sure.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2016, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Very nice sir!!!
Ok, which model Garmin did you use? IS any of them ok as long as they are the correct thickness, height, width etc..?

If you can let us know, I am sure this will be copied. I know I will for dam sure.

Thanks
See post here https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4453858 re which model I purchased.

Yes, as long as the dimensions fall within the same range as the 2689 it works.

The hardest bit will be fitting a new bezel around the garmin to make it look neat. If ran tests on the Garmin last night and the Bluetooth function works great: the Garmin screen act as display for all you saved phonenumbers so you can speeddial, search, accept incoming calls etc. The speaker quality is excellent too.

I will power the unit with a switched 12V which I will take from the center console. To enable map-updates in future, I'll make the power-cable USB-ported which will allow me to do updates without taking the SD card out once it's all build in.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:51 AM
please keep funneling the information, This might solve my issue for having to buy a 08-10 DB9 because of the Bluetooth phone or lack thereof on earlier models. A member here has a perfect 05 DB9 that I am interested in, but lack of Sat Radio and Bluetooth phone is part of my hangup.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:25 AM
I finished the works over the weekend. pictures say it all.

- As with all my mods; its a fully reversible process;
- 12V is taken from the cigarette lighter. Upon starting the car the SatNav pops-up. On switch-off it disappears in the slope;
- I've finished the bezel with thick felt for now. Will ultimately make a full enclosure/bezel to give it a better appearance when opened.

The only con at this stage would be the fact that the screen pops-open at start-up of the car. Other then that I'm very happy with the result thus far.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	455759   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	455760   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	455761   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	455762  
Old 08-09-2016, 08:31 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
That's incredible. Great work!

Old 08-10-2016, 03:57 AM
I finished the works over the weekend. pictures say it all.

- As with all my mods; its a fully reversible process;
- 12V is taken from the cigarette lighter. Upon starting the car the SatNav pops-up. On switch-off it disappears in the slope;
- I've finished the bezel with thick felt for now. Will ultimately make a full enclosure/bezel to give it a better appearance when opened.

The only con at this stage would be the fact that the screen pops-open at start-up of the car. Other then that I'm very happy with the result thus far.
Here is what I am thinking, buying from AMbits the nav holder contraption thing and building the whole thing separately, and keeping the original put together. Then just install the spare with new nav. Is there possibly apart number on the big silver contraption. Just wanted to check and it appears a slightly larger gps could be used, like .5 in larger. Some models do vary slightly.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks Rich, I'm happy with how it turned-out

Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Here is what I am thinking, buying from AMbits the nav holder contraption thing and building the whole thing separately, and keeping the original put together. Then just install the spare with new nav. Is there possibly apart number on the big silver contraption. Just wanted to check and it appears a slightly larger gps could be used, like .5 in larger. Some models do vary slightly.
That's what I did: I bought a separate unit and have kept the OEM Aston Unit. I didn't spend GBP 470 on a used unit though... (I spend less then US 150.00)

As for a larger GPS: the holding-size of the screen when in rest-position (in the GPS tray) measures 170mm x 100mm (6.5" x 4") so the 2689 used is the largest size to be used possible.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:57 AM
That's what I did: I bought a separate unit and have kept the OEM Aston Unit. I didn't spend GBP 470 on a used unit though... (I spend less then US 150.00)

As for a larger GPS: the holding-size of the screen when in rest-position (in the GPS tray) measures 170mm x 100mm (6.5" x 4") so the 2689 used is the largest size to be used possible.

Thank you sir! I am in the process of working out a deal on Speedracer800's 2005 DB9 and want to do this for phone Bluetooth access specifically. So now to find the GPS carrier thing. If you can lend us the information to where you bought it, or if any of the years 2005-2008 or others will work, or if the Vantage one works too that would be really great.

Side thought, I think some of the Garmin gps's have reversing camera capabilities also, so will look into them to see if one works. I really would want the camera for the front nose to NOT run into a parking curb.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:43 PM
The finished product with the bezel now fully made to suit the interior better. A gloss-silver finish around the bezel edge did cross my mind but I decided to keep the satin look for it to blend better with the rest. Works like a charm!

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More cheapskate advice needed re satnav screen