Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brake Disc Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Madmikeybee is on a distinguished road
Brake Disc Pads

Hello,
Does anyone out there have any familiarity with or have used EBC Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads? Also considering Hawk DTC-70. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Mike

AM V8 Vantage, MY 2007.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:32 AM
mantonkroh is on a distinguished road
I heard they suck. I installed Porterfield R4S pads and they are awesome. Barely any brake dust, no noise and has a lot of bite.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:36 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Porterfield R4S
Perfect

Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
What kind of pad do you want? The Redstuffs are marketed as a fast street pads. The DTC-70 is marketed as a streetable track pad. The Porterfield R4S pads mentioned above are great street pads - quiet, low dust, nice wear. But they don't stand up to track use (personal experience).

Pad choice really depends on what your needs are.

Last edited by telum01; 01-21-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I just purchased a set of Porterfield R4S pads from Stuart and I'm very happy with them. I do plan on tracking them this year. I hope they hold up.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:22 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
I just put EBC Red pads and new rotors on the back and will let you know, only have 50-60 miles on them so far.
On another note, I had them on my Lotus and loved them.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
I just purchased a set of Porterfield R4S pads from Stuart and I'm very happy with them. I do plan on tracking them this year. I hope they hold up.
Dan, R4S won't last you a day on the track. Use R4 for the track.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Cret... I'll double check with Stuart on the type of pads I purchased and change out the pads before this spring should that be the case.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:20 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
A bunch of people were asking about R4S pads on track so I tested them myself on Summit Point. Great street pads - wouldn't take them to a track again. Had to limit my speeds considerably in two areas.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Lime Rock Park where I typically go has only one BIG braking spot which is at the end of the straight just before the double apex "Big Bend"... which means that I probably could get away with the pads but I'd hate to loose my brakes @ 120 mph.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:05 AM
You'll be able to manage that so long as you limit your top speed and give yourself an extended braking zone. That's what I had to do on those two sections at Summit Point (one was the main straight into a right-hand turn, and the other was a very fast downhill sweeping right into a hairpin left).

Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
The R4S won't stand up at LRP I had serious fade issues when I used them on my Evora there. With the extra 500# and an additional 10mph at the end of the straights the R4S will give up quick on a vantage. In a pinch the Yellow stuff pads are not bad but I'd stay away from the reds. I've been the happiest with the combination of R4S on the street and R4 for track days. They have similar compounds so they rebed quickly

Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Lots of track talk but we still need to know the OP's needs... street only, track only, some middle ground?

Originally Posted by papigko
I've been the happiest with the combination of R4S on the street and R4 for track days. They have similar compounds so they rebed quickly
Great to hear, I'm planning to test the R4 pads next.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by papigko
The R4S won't stand up at LRP I had serious fade issues when I used them on my Evora there. With the extra 500# and an additional 10mph at the end of the straights the R4S will give up quick on a vantage. In a pinch the Yellow stuff pads are not bad but I'd stay away from the reds. I've been the happiest with the combination of R4S on the street and R4 for track days. They have similar compounds so they rebed quickly
I am curious, I had EBC red on my Evora and loved them, why do you not like the reds?

Old 01-22-2016, 10:44 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I replaced the original pads with EBC red stuff, did not change the rotors. 500 Km embarrassing squealing, from then on absolute silence, brilliant braking performance and very low dust. I am happy and recommend them.

Cheers

Christian

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Disc Pads