Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Air Bag Rattle Fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:11 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Air Bag Rattle Fix?

My 2007 Vantage steering wheel hub air bag rattles. In warm weather the soft rubber Michelin PSS tires conceal the issue, it is as if it does not exist. When cold temperatures return the harshness exposes it at every pavement irregularity.

Has anyone attacked this problem as a DIY project...how did it go?

I have a fear if things that can explode and am reluctant to "jump right in".

Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Here's the workshop manual pages to stop the airbag rattle. looks like you don't need to remove the airbag, just add a bushing to the attaching screws.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	airbag1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	787.2 KB
ID:	438000   Click image for larger version

Name:	airbag2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	681.6 KB
ID:	438001  
Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I have had this, get the two plastic inserts from Aston bits UK they are easily fitted with a Allen driver and the fix takes less than 10 mins, it's the best thing you can do, I find rattles very annoying, and that one in the steering wheel is the worced, the parts are like 2 pounds inc shipping or you can turn them from aluminum if you have a lathe.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:13 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Quick/excellent responses

Thank you Jeff 335i and captain Greg. Yours are great responses to my problem. Excellent and quick can not be beat. My rattle is as good as gone!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM
3Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are doing it yourself

1. it is a torx bolt not an allen headed bolt

2. the bush needs to be id = 8mm, od = 10mm and just slightly shorter than the unthreaded portion of the bolt

If you use the Aston bush it is only half the length of the unthreaded portion of the bolt and when it rides up the bolt and it will not push against the sides of the steering wheel back and will rattle again

Old 07-07-2016, 12:59 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 3Banana
If you are doing it yourself

1. it is a torx bolt not an allen headed bolt

2. the bush needs to be id = 8mm, od = 10mm and just slightly shorter than the unthreaded portion of the bolt

If you use the Aston bush it is only half the length of the unthreaded portion of the bolt and when it rides up the bolt and it will not push against the sides of the steering wheel back and will rattle again
just get the two bushes from aston bits...you will work it out fast we who have done this do not need to overthink the matter just trust u on this one