Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I've Had Enough! Timing Cover Leak. Need Indie Shop in NY*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Ellipsis is on a distinguished road
Exclamation I've Had Enough! Timing Cover Leak. Need Indie Shop in NY*

&nbsp

Last edited by Ellipsis; 05-06-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
Why not Long Island Sports Cars? Real fix is to remove engine, remove timing cover and replace gasket. Other fixes are only bandaid fixes.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Just looking to save some money if I can. I realize it's an extensive and labor intensive fix.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:44 AM
LIDB9 is on a distinguished road
I drive past a shop in Huntington,always has Porches,ferraris,jags etc in his lot,most of them are older models,have never seen an Aston,I am going by there over the weekend get a name for you

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mark8V8
Why not Long Island Sports Cars? Real fix is to remove engine, remove timing cover and replace gasket. Other fixes are only bandaid fixes.
Does the engine really have to be removed? I would think this could be done without engine removal??

Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I dont think its an engine out, but the nose of the car has to come off for frontal access to the engine

Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Nose of the car?..engine removed?

Guess I've been doing it wrong for years...

Brace the engine from the top and remove the lower subframe, remove parts in your way like the oil can and all accessories that are belt driven...You can remove the cam covers if they get in your way...then timing cover is unbolted....bumper/front rail/engine all stay in the car...but don't misunderstand this as a fast repair, takes time to remove all these parts.

You might want to get at least a quote from your local dealers..sometimes your indie shop can charge less per hour but consume more hours charged...aka same price in the end for indie vs dealer repair cost

If it's never been done before, odds are it's leaking on a 4.3L..but are you sure it's not just the oil/air separator running down the return hose causing the dripping?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:51 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
You've already decided to fix it, but for those that put it off (which is understandable given the cost), if the timing cover gasket leak gets bad enough, oil can get elsewhere - like on your FEAD belt and pulleys.

Originally Posted by irish07

If it's never been done before, odds are it's leaking on a 4.3L..but are you sure it's not just the oil/air separator running down the return hose causing the dripping?
If this is the problem:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...separator.html

Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks everyone. I replaced the o-ring on the oil air separator last year which was also leaking. I checked this morning and it's not the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the timing cover gasket.

I will give my local AM dealer a call to see what they charge, although i'm sure it's astronomical.

LIDB9-- Would love to know if they work on AM's

Anyone ever dealt with Autosport Designs? http://www.autosportdesigns.com

Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
Thanks everyone. I replaced the o-ring on the oil air separator last year which was also leaking. I checked this morning and it's not the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the timing cover gasket.

I will give my local AM dealer a call to see what they charge, although i'm sure it's astronomical.

LIDB9-- Would love to know if they work on AM's

Anyone ever dealt with Autosport Designs? http://www.autosportdesigns.com

Check out AutoSport Design in Huntington Station. They restore/sell many different types of sports cars/exotics including a number of Astons.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:15 AM
LIDB9 is on a distinguished road
I went to Aotosport today in Huntington they do work on Astons they hasd a DB9 in workshop,its definitely worth taking a drive over there some sweet cars a DB4 zagato for sale at $4.75 mill Ferrari 275GT ,the other place I thought about in Huntington does not work on our cars.I asked Autosport for a quote on clutch install so will see how their prices are,good luck

Old 03-01-2016, 06:28 AM
kdavos is on a distinguished road
Good Morning...
Ironically my 14 V8V was in for its 1st service..the technician found a small leak in the timing cover...here is the cost breakdown for informational purposes - thankfully the work was done under warranty.

Last edited by kdavos; 03-01-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 AM
So just to update everyone. AM dealership is saying it's about 20 hours, almost $4500.

Autosport Designs never called me back, not encouraging. I'll try again.

KDavos-- Am I reading that right? $1,677?

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:03 AM
kdavos is on a distinguished road
You are reading it correctly. I am going to send you the entire invoice via a PM ....

Old 03-01-2016, 10:48 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Mine was fixed about a year and a half ago. Ellipsis; pm me if you want me to dig up the invoice. Mine was covered under extended warranty. I have a my08, v8v.

One caution; I know manufacturers are sometimes accused by dealers of not necessarily covering the "actual labor cost", when it comes to warranty work. Not saying this could be happening here, just a possible factor for the discrepancies in costs

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I've Had Enough! Timing Cover Leak. Need Indie Shop in NY*