Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I've Had Enough! Timing Cover Leak. Need Indie Shop in NY*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:17 AM
kdavos is on a distinguished road
PM wont let me Upload the JPGs....only asks for URL...below is the my invoice.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:37 AM
vinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
Just looking to save some money if I can. I realize it's an extensive and labor intensive fix.
Your car looks familiar. Is this the one that was wrapped by Phenomenal? If so I can refer you to a place or two to get the work done in Long Island. Feel free to PM me.

-Vin

Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 AM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
Uggggh!!! MY07 also has the dreaded leak and I've been putting it off for almost 2 years now.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Ellipsis

Did you get the oil leak fixed and what was the actual cost?

Old 04-03-2016, 05:43 PM
mrgylex is on a distinguished road
2014?

Kdavos: you have a 2014 and still got the timing cover issue? I was led to believe this issue was solved with 4.7 engines :-/

I have a 2012 and seem to be having an oil leak in the same area (currently my serpentine belt is falling apart as well after a recent fix last week)

Originally Posted by kdavos
Good Morning...
Ironically my 14 V8V was in for its 1st service..the technician found a small leak in the timing cover...here is the cost breakdown for informational purposes - thankfully the work was done under warranty.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 PM
FloRen is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you done it?

Originally Posted by irish07
Nose of the car?..engine removed?

Guess I've been doing it wrong for years...

Brace the engine from the top and remove the lower subframe, remove parts in your way like the oil can and all accessories that are belt driven...You can remove the cam covers if they get in your way...then timing cover is unbolted....bumper/front rail/engine all stay in the car...but don't misunderstand this as a fast repair, takes time to remove all these?
have you done it this way on a v12? Or just talking smack. Because the subframe holds the bottom swing arms with the steering stuff. .

Old 06-24-2019, 06:06 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of

My 2015 V8 GT was fixed under warranty a few years ago - they showed me the gasket was pinched when first put together - a botched job from who ever at Aston puts these engines together, possibly the same gent that seals our defective tail lights! Anyway, it would have been about $4500 if not under warranty, and I had a bad transaxle seal also fixed (total would be over $8K). I also saw a document on what Aston paid the dealership - less than 1/2 of what they would have charged me - so the dealers sorta get screwed on warranty work. I did not know that. Anyway, they pulled out the entire front lower frame and suspension to drop the engine - it was scary to see my car sprawling in parts over 3 bays, and it was a ton of work.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Maeter is an unknown quantity at this point
I just purchased a 2016GT which was diagnosed with the same problem during the extended warranty inspection. I do not have a $ amount as the work was done under warranty, but it shows 12.65 tech hours to fix. It describes front subframe and all ancillary components removed as well as valve cover baskets and timing cover. Parts used were PRV Kit FSA242 (1), Cartridge Assembly (1) and Clip-Firtree 5x6 (3.)

Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FloRen
have you done it this way on a v12? Or just talking smack. Because the subframe holds the bottom swing arms with the steering stuff. .
The V12 can pass the timing cover with subframe still in place..hehe and if your really good the valve covers can stay in place on pre VVT V12 for VH chassis!

No smack..just experience! 😎

Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
So just to update everyone. AM dealership is saying it's about 20 hours, almost $4500.

Autosport Designs never called me back, not encouraging. I'll try again.

KDavos-- Am I reading that right? $1,677?

Thanks everyone!
I had a similar leak from the front and same dealer KDavos went to said around $4k for job. Granted when I drove it regularly, there was not enough of a leak for me to proceed. Once the car sat for weeks, it really started leaking!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:35 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
I had a similar leak from the front and same dealer KDavos went to said around $4k for job. Granted when I drove it regularly, there was not enough of a leak for me to proceed. Once the car sat for weeks, it really started leaking!
Had this gasket replaced on my 2007 Vantage at the dealer. Cost was less that $3K. If I remember correctly.
For those interested in what was involved PM me and I will give you the link to the website.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:36 PM
FloRen is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil pan

Thank you for the reply, Timing cover yes, however, i kinda need to take the oil pan out, and it seems to be hugged by the subframe cradle.
where are you located? I am in long island hicksville area. PM me if you are local
Originally Posted by irish07
The V12 can pass the timing cover with subframe still in place..hehe and if your really good the valve covers can stay in place on pre VVT V12 for VH chassis!

No smack..just experience! 😎

Old 06-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by FloRen
Thank you for the reply, Timing cover yes, however, i kinda need to take the oil pan out, and it seems to be hugged by the subframe cradle.
where are you located? I am in long island hicksville area. PM me if you are local

I am in Florida. Sorry!

Old 06-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Don you have a leak or a seep? Mine was a seep, not a drop of oil on the floor which I could live with if it were out of warranty

Old 08-18-2019, 06:44 AM
imdiaw is on a distinguished road
I may have a similar issue. Crossing my fingers. Trying to find a reputable shop in NYC/Longisland

Last edited by imdiaw; 08-20-2019 at 07:20 AM.