Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Mileage, Price - When to buy or When to sell? Opinons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:57 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by telum01
Reminds me of a saying a heard a while back. Can't remember the exact wording, but it was something along the lines of:

"Not driving your car to keep miles off of it for the next owner at resale is like not f***ing your wife so she'll be tighter for her next husband."
Haha, yea I agree with those statement, but every now and then you find a good one, just don't want to wear her out.

These last few posts are exactly what I was looking for. You can find a bunch of DB's and V8's that are upper 30k miles. Problem is 1-2 years your looking at 50k+ and value is killed. For a few grand more a 15k version can be had, so just wanted to see what people were doing that aren't loaded financially. I can do things, just can't do them without thinking a little. But again spare cars do suffer from non thinking a lot of times.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:51 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
I may be wrong, but if you are going to be the 2nd owner (at best) and plan to put 20k miles on it, you need to assume a huge value drop no matter where you start. Even if you find a garage queen with 3k miles on it, you'll be selling a rather old Aston with 23k miles on it. It will be worth very slightly more than that same car with 43k miles on it.

As I said, I may be wrong but I sense a law of inverse exponential value as mileage grows.

Instead of your alchemy experiment in predicting the possible future value of an undefined variable, why not focus on buying the newest, best spec Aston that you can. Don't get something with excessive wear and tear (sagging leather), and be cautious about too low miles. You'll never know if your speculative math has any merit until years from now.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
It's funny, I just don't get this mileage penalty for Aston's Why is it there?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 PM
snowball007 is on a distinguished road
I would tend to turn your argument the other way if you're concerned about depreciation. Buy a car that is a few years old with enough mileage so that you know it has been driven, and the price is relatively low. Benefits: expensive bugs that many AM's have will have been dealt with and the rate of depreciation will be MUCH lower. I have a 08 DB9 sport pack, 6 speed manual, with 60K miles on it. It is a thing of beauty and drives like new. The 6 speed manual on the DB9 is quite rare and so much fun to drive. I don't worry about mileage or of selling it because I didn't pay very much (all relative of course) to begin with. There is a price floor on these if it's more rare and well maintained. I think I could sell it for more than I paid. My plan for this type of car was to DRIVE it and not worry about depreciation, so I bought according to criteria above. AM is one of the few supercars you can take this approach with because they maintain more like a regular car. Hope this helps give you another angle.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:13 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by snowball007
I would tend to turn your argument the other way if you're concerned about depreciation. Buy a car that is a few years old with enough mileage so that you know it has been driven, and the price is relatively low. Benefits: expensive bugs that many AM's have will have been dealt with and the rate of depreciation will be MUCH lower. I have a 08 DB9 sport pack, 6 speed manual, with 60K miles on it. It is a thing of beauty and drives like new. The 6 speed manual on the DB9 is quite rare and so much fun to drive. I don't worry about mileage or of selling it because I didn't pay very much (all relative of course) to begin with. There is a price floor on these if it's more rare and well maintained. I think I could sell it for more than I paid. My plan for this type of car was to DRIVE it and not worry about depreciation, so I bought according to criteria above. AM is one of the few supercars you can take this approach with because they maintain more like a regular car. Hope this helps give you another angle.
Yes. This. All of this.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:34 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Figure out how many miles you're going to put on it, total, for the next 5 years, and then buy a car with at least double that number of miles.

So, if you are only going to drive 1000 miles per year, then paying a premium for a 10k miles car or more is OK. But don't waste your money on a 10k miles car if you are going to end up at 60k miles 5 years down the road.

Figure 10% a year max on the initial mileage as a target for cars with some miles on them. But for very low mileage cars, like 1000 miles for example, you could drive that a couple hundred miles each year (20-30%) for 5 years and not be hurt too bad.

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 03-15-2016 at 09:41 AM.