Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Mileage, Price - When to buy or When to sell? Opinons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 05:11 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Mileage, Price - When to buy or When to sell? Opinons

What I wanted to accomplish with this thread is owners opinions of at what point do you sell your car to upgrade model, sell due to high mileage, or not wanting to lose any more money. I would like opinions NOT based on a person having a bunch of expendable toy money and who changes cars just cause they are tired of them, or want the new model. Trying to see what the breaking point is for Aston Vantage and DB9's. This information can change a 07 purchase to a 10' or vice versa, same with a DB series. For this question keeping variables the same (clean cars, no issues etc...) is key. Example - 2009 DBS with 38k miles for 90k, appears to be a decent deal, but in 2 years its likely to have well over 50k miles and likely not worth 65k, and much more mileage things break and on a 300k car that would get very expensive probably. So in the end is that worth it?? Just not sure what kind of mileage you guys are getting on yours? Astons, Audi etc.. its seems to be no issue to have up to 38k miles and sell fairly well, but any other exotic and at least for me I wouldn't even consider it. Over 50k on a Maserati starts to worry me so I dumped those just before. Hope all this makes sense.

When looking for cars I tend to like the prices for 30k miles and up, however realize that within 2-3 years I will have over 50k on it likely. Then do I keep or sell for another? However 10k more spent moves me to a sub 20k mileage car which would allow for several longer years of ownership (which is the plan) before a lot of miles. Many of you have had your car for several years and love them, however doesn't seem like many people at least say how many miles they have on them. I am in the process of narrowing down my wish list of what to start looking for. I love them all, so starting by deciding what I don't want first, then hopefully that takes me to a good point of a PPI list to narrow good from bad cars. Then a purchase. I think my budget will be 75k cash or below, which means a 06' Db9 with Cf items and HRe's if I want, or a stock 09, same for a Vantage. Your opinions are highly desired.

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited by SheriffDep; 03-06-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:07 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
If you're going to sell always try to do it before the clock hits a nice round figure like 10, 20, or the biggest of them all 50k Miles!! For some reason it make a big difference to buyers.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:17 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Andrew,

I just purchased my 2009 AMV8V with 6sp manual with 31,000km (19,000mls) and my plan is to keep it forever or at least that is the thought. In late 2007 I bought a 2004 BMW Z4 with 40,000mls on it, it was a car from the US, I just traded that car for the Vantage after 8 full summers of ownership and 78,000mls on it. So I guess I drove that Z4 almost 5,000mls or 8,000kms every summers and plan to do the exact same with my Vantage. Don't get me wrong the Vantage will cost a lot more in maintenance as parts are not as easily found as the BMW but I like working on cars and plan to do as much as I can to lower my ownership cost and learn how these amazing cars are put together and remember there is so much knowledge in this forum, you always find someone that has seen your issue before. So if we do the math, bought it at 19,000mls and in the next 10 years I will put 50,000mls so that brings it to 70,000mls or so and I think it would still be worth around $35,000 - $40,000 cdn. I think that is acceptable in my book... Only if a DBS Manual or V12V Manual at a very good price I would consider replacing my Vantage, no other car will do for me.

Not sure if that was any help for you but

PS: You might want to look at the Canadian Market as the US $$$ is very strong at the moment, just my 2 cents.

Francis

Old 03-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
My first 2007 vantage I bought new and drove it to years and 25,000 miles with the intention to keep it five years and him maybe 60,000 miles on it. But the recession happened and I had to sell the car to keep my business alive. My next vantage was a 2009 with 30,000 miles on it and I drove up to 43,000 miles in two years. I probably would've kept that one many more years except the price of the GT's in 2015 were pretty reasonable, and I got a good trade and a 2015 then only have 3000 miles on it. Now I have 6000 miles. Who knows what the future will be maybe I'll have that for a very long time, or maybe I'll trade up to the next vantage if I can afford it you only live once so who knows.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Andrew,

I just purchased my 2009 AMV8V with 6sp manual with 31,000km (19,000mls) and my plan is to keep it forever or at least that is the thought. In late 2007 I bought a 2004 BMW Z4 with 40,000mls on it, it was a car from the US, I just traded that car for the Vantage after 8 full summers of ownership and 78,000mls on it. So I guess I drove that Z4 almost 5,000mls or 8,000kms every summers and plan to do the exact same with my Vantage. Don't get me wrong the Vantage will cost a lot more in maintenance as parts are not as easily found as the BMW but I like working on cars and plan to do as much as I can to lower my ownership cost and learn how these amazing cars are put together and remember there is so much knowledge in this forum, you always find someone that has seen your issue before. So if we do the math, bought it at 19,000mls and in the next 10 years I will put 50,000mls so that brings it to 70,000mls or so and I think it would still be worth around $35,000 - $40,000 cdn. I think that is acceptable in my book... Only if a DBS Manual or V12V Manual at a very good price I would consider replacing my Vantage, no other car will do for me.

Not sure if that was any help for you but

PS: You might want to look at the Canadian Market as the US $$$ is very strong at the moment, just my 2 cents.

Francis
Thanks a bunch so far guys. This is what I am looking for exactly. However not knocking a Db9 or V8V but due to prices falling under 50k now for older models, reliability fairly good, and the amount of total cars sold these cars likely wont be any type of collector models. Specialty editions sure, but a regular black or grey Aston probably wont. The sales numbers just are too high, same for a 458, just too many produced to warrant skyrocketing prices one day. Maybe I am wrong, and could be, but that is why I am asking all the questions.

Francis - You mentioned buying to keep, and that is what my thought plan is also. I want a paid for 30 year car, but want to drive it also. I just hate though to think about mile aging it up and having a nice car still, but value is in the pits. They aren't 911's. Those are unique and common at the same time. I can't afford something new, but am thinking on few year older model that has low miles rather than go for the newest I can afford with 35k miles. I understand the driving realiability problems of a really low mile older model, and don't want that, but would prefer that mileage for keeping reasons. Btu simple things like Bluetooth phone capability or addition of some type of iPod also plays a little into my calculations. Since I do paint corrections as a hobby, Onyx Black is my top choice for color (due to the metallic in it), but I like contrast stitching too, and don't seem to find older versions with that as much. Speed racer is trying to talk me into a stick car also. Fine for a V8V but a Db9 I am not sure.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:01 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
I don't think there is a magic number for miles. It's about the right car for some one. I would only sell or trade if i find the right car. The right car is different for all of us. There ar not that many Astons in specs we like. So if you find one you really like you g for it. Sometimes it is a good deal some times you pay a bit more to have the right car. It is about supply and demand.
DBS manual will always be valuable I don't think these kind of cars will drop below 70k. To rare, again supply and demand. Not manny out there lots of guy's want one including my self

Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Thanks a bunch so far guys. This is what I am looking for exactly. However not knocking a Db9 or V8V but due to prices falling under 50k now for older models, reliability fairly good, and the amount of total cars sold these cars likely wont be any type of collector models. Specialty editions sure, but a regular black or grey Aston probably wont. The sales numbers just are too high, same for a 458, just too many produced to warrant skyrocketing prices one day. Maybe I am wrong, and could be, but that is why I am asking all the questions.

Francis - You mentioned buying to keep, and that is what my thought plan is also. I want a paid for 30 year car, but want to drive it also. I just hate though to think about mile aging it up and having a nice car still, but value is in the pits. They aren't 911's. Those are unique and common at the same time. I can't afford something new, but am thinking on few year older model that has low miles rather than go for the newest I can afford with 35k miles. I understand the driving realiability problems of a really low mile older model, and don't want that, but would prefer that mileage for keeping reasons. Btu simple things like Bluetooth phone capability or addition of some type of iPod also plays a little into my calculations. Since I do paint corrections as a hobby, Onyx Black is my top choice for color (due to the metallic in it), but I like contrast stitching too, and don't seem to find older versions with that as much. Speed racer is trying to talk me into a stick car also. Fine for a V8V but a Db9 I am not sure.
You are correct to states that they made lots of them but some years are quite rare, like my Vantage, a 2009 Vantage Coupe with 6sp Manual, close to 1153 Vantage were made that year and only about 400 were Coupe with 6sp Manual of which only about 70 unit made it to North America... I would bet that no more than 25 of them were made for Canadian Market so this means that I own a pretty rare car in my opinion... but that wasn't the reason why I bought it, for me it was the right car, color, interior, transmition and price. In Canada no matter the year of these cars (DB9 or Vantage) they are rare and like Skeena River Rove said, supply and demande.

Here is a picture of my 12 yrs old BMW, it looked better than new

Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
When I bought my 2007 Vantage in August 2014, it had 2800 miles on it ( I now have over 8000 miles). It also came with a one-year Aston Martin preowned warranty. It was purchased new from the same dealer I was purchasing it from used . So the history of the car was well known. I had looked previously at new Vantages but could not afford a new one. I had told my Aston Martin dealer to keep an eye out for a good low mile used coupe with a stick. So when they called me and told me about the car they had in stock. I went over and looked at it and negotiated a very reasonable price and purchased what has been so far to be a very good car. I think it's worth buying the car from an Aston Martin dealer so it comes with the used car warranty. This helps give you peace of mind that if anything goes wrong it will be covered. I've had a few things replaced under the warranty and in fact I just extend the warranty for another year at again very reasonable cost.
I also think buying the car with a stick shift is a big plus, as this adds another dimension to the car as well as adding to its reliability.
I've owned a lot of cars over my 58 years, and I must say this is one of the best Not only in looks but also in performance and build quality.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 03-07-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Organeer is on a distinguished road
Sorry to say this, but you shouldn't really be thinking of buying an Aston Martin at all. If your only criterion is falling value, go and buy a Toyota Auris which has a great resale value. Aston Martin buyers know the costs involved and most consider them good value for the enjoyment they get from driving their cars. Someone on one of these sites said that having an Aston and not driving it regularly for fear of clocking up too many miles is like not having sex with a beautiful girlfriend because you want to save her for the next guy.
Rant over!!

Old 03-08-2016, 04:57 AM
Here is a good site to search for your Dream Car or at least see what is available out there

http://listingallcars.com/results/Ne..._Vantage/13669

Good luck

Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Organeer
Sorry to say this, but you shouldn't really be thinking of buying an Aston Martin at all. If your only criterion is falling value, go and buy a Toyota Auris which has a great resale value. Aston Martin buyers know the costs involved and most consider them good value for the enjoyment they get from driving their cars. Someone on one of these sites said that having an Aston and not driving it regularly for fear of clocking up too many miles is like not having sex with a beautiful girlfriend because you want to save her for the next guy.
Rant over!!

+1

Yea, we're supposed to sit our cars and let 'em depreciate for the next guy to come along. Yea right! The last thing I'm watching is the mileage on the clock.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Organeer
Rant over!!
That's funny! But so true!

Old 03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Now this add makes sense to me. You have to safe her for the next guy

Old 03-08-2016, 10:26 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I thought I bought at the market's bottom but the market has fallen even more since. This is in a growing economy where every luxury item has gone up in price, dont even want to know what these cars will go for when the stock market tanks.

Therefore my goal is to enjoy the crap out the car, and drive it without care about depreciation or mileage. Already planned a road trip from NJ to VT with plenty of scenic miles

Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Organeer is on a distinguished road
Just change the oil and filters frequently and go for it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mileage, Price - When to buy or When to sell? Opinons