Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Old Member for 997, now with AMV8S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Old Member for 997, now with AMV8S

I have been a long-time Porsche guy, but I just bough a 2011 AMV8VS with 15k miles on it, and am loving it so far. There are several little bits to fix/ perfect, but so far I love this car more than my Porsche 997S by a loooong shot! It is equipped with the SportShift II transmission, which I quite enjoy.

Here's a pic, it's lightening silver over obsidian black, with all the options: premium stereo, Nav, Sat Radio, etc.

I do have a few questions:

1) Does the clutch learn process work on a 2011 SSII? I've searched this site and many others and cannot find the answer.

2) My console has a fog lamp switch/ button, but I cannot tell where the fog light itself actually is. All I see is a low beam bulb and a high beam bulb. Am I missing something?

3) The tail light finishers are carbon fiber, and it looks like the clear coat protective layer has faded/ dulled. Does anyone know if these can be polished and re-coated?

4) There are few hairline scratches on the Piano Black ski slope/ console, has anyone figured out a fix to that? Maybe piano polish and lacquer?

5) I have the usual issue of the leather coming off the frontmost part of the dash due to poor adhesive and sun. Is the dealer the best place to get this done?
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
As far as the sport shift what I used to do on my 2009 vantage was to wait until the USB I had plugged into the stereo started playing music which is about 20 seconds after I started the car.

That seem to be long enough for the clutch kiss procedure to take place. Now I have a 2015 vantage sport shift which indicates when the procedure is taking place, which is a whole lot quicker than 20 seconds but I'm not sure about the older transmissions.

I much prefer the sport shift having two of them over the six speed that I had, especially when you drive them as prescribed by lifting off the gas between my shifts and shifting manually.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 PM
hkg1997 is on a distinguished road
I also just bought a meteorite silver 11' V8S...
1. I read somewhere that there is no more clutch learn on SSII. However when you start the car, the neutral button will flash and you suppose to wait for it to stop flashing before drive off.
2. The fog light button is for rear fog light, not front.
4. I also got a couple hairline cracks on the ski slope, I believed nothing can be done except replace with a new one??
5. There is a DIY thread here that shows step by step to fix this.

Last edited by hkg1997; 03-19-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
1. I believe the ski slope has a clear coat on it, just like any other type of clear (paint). You can use a product such as Meguire's swirl remover (basically any type of FINE polish for paint with a microfiber pad, then buff. (I use Menzerna SF4500 or Rupes Diamond fine polish). This sill shine it up no question, however to get the scratches out, a small DA orbital polisher should be used to do this. Same things as removing swirls from the body paint.

2. The CF I don't know, however most CF is covered by the same clear coat and it can be treated the same as what I just told you. ALWAYS try a small inconspicuous area first, then move on from there.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to this side of the forum. I also made the move from a 997s and have also been very happy with the Vantage.

For your leather panel, go to this thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...panel-out.html

You have a few options: replace with a new panel ordered from Aston or have a local upholstery shop fix. I went with ordering a new panel from Aston as the price for the replacement panel was very reasonable. There is however a few weeks wait for them to build and ship it.

Beautiful color and car. Congrats!

Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the help. Still need a few more answers. These cars are so limited that the knowledge base seems pretty limited compared to other marques.
CATTMAN

Old 03-20-2016, 09:08 AM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Cattman says: I do have a few questions:

2) My console has a fog lamp switch/ button, but I cannot tell where the fog light itself actually is. All I see is a low beam bulb and a high beam bulb. Am I missing something?

This is rear fog lamps, turn on your headlights, then press this switch, walk around to the back of the car.

4) There are few hairline scratches on the Piano Black ski slope/ console, has anyone figured out a fix to that? Maybe piano polish and lacquer?

If they are not deep you polish them out with some scratch remover for clear coat.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 AM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
How does the AM compare to 997S, pluses and minuses?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:01 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice car, congrats and welcome.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:02 PM
jroback is on a distinguished road
Interesting story about #5, esp since you are in ATL. The head of AM aftermarket support was recently visiting dealerships in the US. MotorcarsGA sent out an email to local AM owners about a free service evaluation during his visit. I took in my 07 V8V, and while we were doing a walk around the car he noticed the same leather problem on my passenger side dash. I explained that it was like that 2 years ago when I bought the car, that I have used the sunshade religiously, and that I haven't noticed the problem getting any worse in 2 years. He then told the service manager and me that AM would replace it for free. Might be worth reaching out to the dealer to see if they could do the same for you.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by jroback
Interesting story about #5, esp since you are in ATL. The head of AM aftermarket support was recently visiting dealerships in the US. MotorcarsGA sent out an email to local AM owners about a free service evaluation during his visit. I took in my 07 V8V, and while we were doing a walk around the car he noticed the same leather problem on my passenger side dash. I explained that it was like that 2 years ago when I bought the car, that I have used the sunshade religiously, and that I haven't noticed the problem getting any worse in 2 years. He then told the service manager and me that AM would replace it for free. Might be worth reaching out to the dealer to see if they could do the same for you.
Thank you. I visited the dealership this evening, and they seemed instead excited to charge me for the part. I think I will write to AM direct. I'll let you know.
CATTMAN

Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Seems like we bought nearly the same car.
Mine had 18k on it when I bought it.
Leather pulling at passenger upper dash.
Scratches on Piano Black console and ski slope

I've left the leather for another day.
But the piano black finish is really easy. I used plastic polish and went from loads of swirls and light scratches to flawless black. Pretty sure there is no clear coat. Rather this appears to be a black color gloss finish. No idea what it's made of or how but seems to be soft as acrylic so be nice to it. The upside is that because it's soft, it's also very easy to polish.

Oh, the clutch. Yeah, just let the N light flash with your foot on the brake after start up. Not even 5 seconds. And if you're in a hurry and forget, I'm pretty sure the car won't explode. Just do it the next time.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:50 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
After seeing this post I contacted my nearest AM Dealer and they to wanted to charge me for the replacement of my passenger upper dash panel... I am very interested in finding out what answer Cattman will get back from the AM Factory.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM
My local dealership quoted $3,500 (parts and labor) to replace these 4 leather dash panels:

1. $410.33, item # 8 in below picture, in stock

2. $990.77, not pictured below, 6-8 weeks lead time

3. $343.08, item # 3 in below picture, 6-8 weeks lead time

4. $410.33, item # 21 in below picture, in stock

The $990.70 part is the stitched leather that surrounds the ski slope, which is peeling off at the front uppermost area on both sides, and it's actually one large unit the wraps around underneath.
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Ouch.

I ordered part #8 from HVM Aston in Europe for half that price and installed myself. It took 3-4 weeks, but the leather matched perfectly.

The removal and install took me less than an hour.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.