Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Manual DBS clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:02 AM
Hocdoc527 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by telum01
Not normal, probably the throw-out bearing
thank you. My mechanic says no to that but car going to him today to check...

Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Reviving an old thread Today as I wanted to share a little update on the clutch that was replaced by my dealer before the purchase of my DBS.

First of all.. I am really enjoying the car and don't regret for a second finally pulling the trigger for one of the finest vehicles ever built in human history.. I absolutely love this thing! (does everyone sense a "but" coming?)

However.. I have always felt that this new clutch was never just quite right. I have learned to live with the odd engagement point in the pedal throw as my 6speed DB9 is very similar in that regard but even beyond that it just never felt as I thought it should.

I tried lubricating the pivot point and return spring mounting points etc and still couldn't get a nice smooth feel to the travel of the pedal (if that makes sense?). I reached out to my local dealer and they advised (of course) for me to bring it in but could offer no other opinions without seeing the car.

Before I committed to a trip to the service department I thought I would try to bleed the clutch using my vacuum operated mityvac tool. This is a great piece for not onlyonly bleeding brakes but also performing fluid changes without having to drain the oil from the bottom requiring pulling of belly pans etc and the mess/hassle associated with it.

Very simple job bleeding the clutch turned out to be (my first time on an Aston). The bleeder screw is very easy to access under the car without the need for removing the undercarriage protection which is nice. Just attach the rubber nipple to the bleed screw and give a couple pumps to create a vaccum then crack the bleeder loose and I saw plenty of air bubbles pouring out through the drain hose. I took this as an opportunity to go ahead and run a bunch of fresh fluid through the reservoir (which is shared with the brake master cylinder).

After a couple of trips up and down on the lift to keep topping off the reservoir I finally buttoned it up and anxiously gave the clutch a try. The difference is remarkable! I think the service department just perhaps didn't spend quite enough time thoroughly bleeding the system at the time the clutch was replaced. The pedal engagement point, while still higher than I'd like to have it, is certainly improved but the real difference is in the "feel" of the clutch. Just smooth as a babies bottom now.

Was a really satisfying weekend afternoon project with immediate significant results. I'd advise anyone with a manual transmission car and a disappointing clutch feel to give this service a go. Very easy for even a novice mechanic and will dramatically improve your driving experience.

Last edited by speedracer800; 06-26-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hocdoc527
Guys I have 07 v8v. New factory clutch... Runs great but when pressing clutch in sounds like rocks rolling around. Any idea why or what this could be. I was told it's the springs. Please advise.
My clutch never wore out of material I had a spring fall out (it has 4) this lodged between pressure plate and cluch on the next startup and no pedal travel.
When it was pulled apart I went to look see, the spring had broken and a small piece was what went between the cluch and plate, I also replaced the release bearing while it was apart, it was a very expensive excersise

Old 06-27-2016, 11:58 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
speedracer800 - that's great to hear! Much better than pulling the clutch to figure it out lol