Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My V8V chasis (tubs) were damaged at Firestone

Old 05-11-2016, 04:38 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Wow. Sorry to hear about your nightmare experience. I guess this will serve as a cautionary tale for all of us! I've not heard of such issues with Astons, but I've heard a few Lotus horror stories similar to the one mentioned above, and also one where the jack points were incorrectly chosen followed by the car tipping of the lift from considerable height (rearward weight bias) - you can guess the rest.

Here's hoping you get proper restitution from those jokers when all is said and done!

Old 05-11-2016, 06:36 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Wow sorry to hear, I hope it all works out between the insurance co and the shop

Old 05-11-2016, 07:19 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Hope the tire shop has good insurance. I bet he will never touch an exotic again, too much liability for so little money.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Unbelievable that you can total a car just by jacking it up. The damage just looks superficial.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Argus is on a distinguished road
If they total the car you might be able to keep the car or buy from the insurance company. Put the money in you pocket and drive the Aston until it is dead. It is a thought not the way you wanted your vantage to end up. Sorry about your car.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:58 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i View Post
Unbelievable that you can total a car just by jacking it up. The damage just looks superficial.
Agreed... I would like to better understand the frame shops diagnosis - Obviously the damage can not be repaired the way things are constructed but just thought the damage would be cosmetic only

Very sorry to hear the news about your Aston -

Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Yeah but the point of extrusion is that it is the strongest under compression, so the beam that goes from front to the back is the main piece that prevents the passenger cell from crumpling.

The superficial bend is now the weak point, under compression the rest of the extruded piece will not crumple or bend but the point where it is deformed will bend first, under much less force than it takes to bend if undamaged. I dont know how much strength is lost, but I would compare it to using a breaker bar with a tiny crack in it, might be superficial but it also might just snap off in your hands eventually.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 AM
telum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mkzhang View Post
Yeah but the point of extrusion is that it is the strongest under compression, so the beam that goes from front to the back is the main piece that prevents the passenger cell from crumpling.

The superficial bend is now the weak point, under compression the rest of the extruded piece will not crumple or bend but the point where it is deformed will bend first, under much less force than it takes to bend if undamaged. I dont know how much strength is lost, but I would compare it to using a breaker bar with a tiny crack in it, might be superficial but it also might just snap off in your hands eventually.
A good demonstration is a soda can.

When it's perfectly undented, it's pretty strong when you push down on it. But if you put even a slight dent in the side, that point will give way quickly when pressure is applied down on the can.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I understand about shape deformation leading to weakness (I'm a civil engineer, we have to study that kind of stuff) but this is a road car, it shouldn't be possible to destroy it during normal handling. The bottom of the car could get dented like that or worse just by driving over some minor debris in the road or straddling the curbing on a racetrack corner.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 AM
telum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond repute
I understand about shape deformation leading to weakness (I'm a civil engineer, we have to study that kind of stuff) but this is a road car, it shouldn't be possible to destroy it during normal handling. The bottom of the car could get dented like that or worse just by driving over some minor debris in the road or straddling the curbing on a racetrack corner.
Absolutely agree with you! It's pretty shocking that it'd deform so easily. Just giving the example to help illustrate mkzhang's explanation for us non-engineers

Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 AM
You're probably more educated on it than me then lol, I am just engineering by education and thats it. But you can see it from an manufacturer and insurance perspective though, if they can no longer guarantee it to perform at their original specification, they are exposed to liability if anything were to happen..

Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
IMO, a repair can be done to make the car safe, however it will be noticeable and not attractive. if it were I, I would buy, car repair and drive and use the insurance towards a new one. One would have a beater and a sunday car. A blessing in disguise?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by mkzhang View Post
You're probably more educated on it than me then lol, I am just engineering by education and thats it. But you can see it from an manufacturer and insurance perspective though, if they can no longer guarantee it to perform at their original specification, they are exposed to liability if anything were to happen..
LOL, school was a long time ago for me!

The soda can analogy is a good one. There could also be issues with cold-work fatigue from bending and then un-bending the metal, like if you bend a paper clip a bunch of times and then it breaks.

My point is that it should not be so easy to catastrophically damage a car meant to drive on the street

Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Speedraser is a splendid one to beholdSpeedraser is a splendid one to beholdSpeedraser is a splendid one to beholdSpeedraser is a splendid one to beholdSpeedraser is a splendid one to beholdSpeedraser is a splendid one to beholdSpeedraser is a splendid one to beholdSpeedraser is a splendid one to behold
Are you/they sure that the bent part is actually the structural longitudinal extrusion? I thought the extruded sections, including the rails, are thicker-section than the bent piece appears to be.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 PM
vargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the rough
The body shop has advised that these tubs need to be replaced, and in doing so properly, other chases parts which are associated with the tubs will also need to be replaced. Basically, the entire frame needs replacement, and then the suspension will need full alignment. I do agree with the pinched metal comment, that it does weaken the frame, and this is something the body shop has also emphasized.

Firestone has sent out an independent 3rd party adjuster to confirm the damages with the AM, and I'm hoping this will come to a closure sometime next week.

Thank you again for all of the feedback. I am sure that this thread will provide further needed education on these cars.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: My V8V chasis (tubs) were damaged at Firestone

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.