Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My V8V chasis (tubs) were damaged at Firestone

Old 05-15-2016, 09:19 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
If at all possible, it would be interesting to see more pictures from different angles. Did the body shop put it up on a four post lift?

Regards

Old 05-16-2016, 06:08 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
This all sounds bogus to me. You can't replace those rails; the car doesn't have a frame it is all bonded and riveted. A typical body shop is unqualified to assess damage, other than superficial, on an Aston. If the Aston dealership can't decide what is needed, then they should be contacting the factory, not some body shop.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by W126C View Post
If at all possible, it would be interesting to see more pictures from different angles. Did the body shop put it up on a four post lift?

Regards
more important ...did they lift it on its recommended lifting points?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Oof, I'm sorry to hear. I mean, you *can* bring a nice car to Firestone, but make sure you know and trust who's working on it. I'm a service manager of a facility that rhymes with "Tirephone" (you see what I'm getting at) and there's really only one, maybe two of my seven techs that I would trust with my own vehicles or customers' high end vehicles.

We've done tires/alignment on a 911 C4S, Maserati GranTurismo and Ghibli, Range Rover Evoque and Sport, and several BMW's/Audis/Mercedes, to name some recent ones. We've also had rookie techs scrape or damage wheels on a Porsche, Mustang, and others in the past (which we had to pay for). So, it really depends.

Honestly though, If I weren't running the shop and either doing the work myself or entrusting it to one of my most skilled techs, I would never bring my car to one of the big chains. Much better to seek out a highly qualified, friendly and honest indy tech.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Argus is on a distinguished road
If you watch How it is made super cars you will see that the car is a series of pieces that are bonded and riveted. I agree that what Firestone did would not seem like it would cause so much damage. But the bottom line is the chassis is kinked/bent. It is a sure bet that they will try to screw the owner on their mistake.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:04 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
the parts look a little bent, until a full measurement is done to determine if the thing is out of alignment and how bad, no plan can be made.
from what i can see its more cosmetic and a few T6 plates neatly bonded over the damage will go unseen and if the correct epoxy is used I do not think a repair that will not cost much is unreasonable judgement.

On PH there was a thread about 3 years back showing how a jack puck could be glued in place to facilitate easy lifting of these rather fragile cars. (all 4 corners) this makes me think any good machine shop could machine out 2 strips or 4 smaller bits and bond them NEATLy over the damage provided the car is not out of square, and that is a 5 minute job to confirm on a 4 wheel lazer alignment tool

Old 05-17-2016, 02:35 PM
007JB is on a distinguished road
I think its bit too much to call it total loss for that much damage. As long as frame alignment is ok, in my opinion that is not big problem.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
There is absolutely no way this car is out of alignment because of this damage. No way.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 AM
vargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by impulsiv View Post
There is absolutely no way this car is out of alignment because of this damage. No way.
Just visualize lifting one side of the car ONLY and AT ONE JACK POINT (about 3-4 feet off the ground) and having it rest all of its remaining weight on a negative camber on the remaining side (both wheels)....the suspension needs full assessment due this improper jacking, and not the tub damage exclusively.

The shop is an "A" level Aston Martin repair facility and only "A" level shops can order chasis parts, (as they have said, at least). I am still waiting on a full write up but these tubs seem to be scarce so pricing is still on hold, but the entire cost to address these repairs and then factoring in depreciation ($5-$8k or so) due to CarFax is is looking to be about 75%-80% of the cost of the vehicle's current MSRP!

Last edited by vargas; 05-18-2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2016, 04:46 AM
J doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of light
3-4 feet? I cannot see someone jacking up a vehicle to that height to do tire removal, that seems a bit over hyped. The beams are bent from just lifting incorrectly. It's not the only car out there that has suffered this. Let the body shop and insurance figure it out. It can be repaired.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 AM
vargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the rough
Had to jack the rear high enough to have the front wheel lift as wheel. It was pretty high on the rear.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:17 AM
I have jacked up my car many times, when I clean it proper i remove the wheels to clean them, i have Zero damage to the chassis, I made set of puks that fit either the front or the rear (different sises) so jacking it s no bother.
The car has clearly defined points for lifting and Im confused as to how you guys damage it?
I also made a custom jack (started with a cheap hydraulic shop jack) with a pad that is made of a hard but forgiving plastic that buts into the two puks i mention negating the possibility of it slipping.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 AM
telum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vargas View Post
The shop is an "A" level Aston Martin repair facility and only "A" level shops can order chasis parts, (as they have said, at least). I am still waiting on a full write up but these tubs seem to be scarce so pricing is still on hold, but the entire cost to address these repairs and then factoring in depreciation ($5-$8k or so) due to CarFax is is looking to be about 75%-80% of the cost of the vehicle's current MSRP!

If you're expecting to lose money based on a repair being shown on a CarFax, that's one thing. But don't rely on CarFax's valuation estimates. They're extremely flawed.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 AM
62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute62Jeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by captain Greg View Post
The car has clearly defined points for lifting and Im confused as to how you guys damage it?.
That's the issue, they did not use the defined jacking points to lift the car, using an alternate location not designed for supporting the weight of the car.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by 62Jeff View Post
That's the issue, they did not use the defined jacking points to lift the car, using an alternate location not designed for supporting the weight of the car.
Thanks for that Jeff my bad

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My V8V chasis (tubs) were damaged at Firestone

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.