Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin insurance thread, US/California

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:34 PM
jbla is an unknown quantity at this point
Aston Martin insurance thread, US/California

Hi all -

I recently went thru a considerable amount of quoting and annoyance on insuring my new '14 V8V roadster, and wanted to share some lessons learned to help those in the future. I found the documentation a bit sparse on the forums.

DEMOGRAPHICS
33/male in zip 90048 (Los Angeles CA)
25/female in same zip (second driver on policy)--NOTE some quotes did not include her but the numbers didnt change much
clean driving record no tickets no accidents for both drivers
Car msrp new - 141k
Bought used - 99k (stated value)

COVERAGE
100/300 bodily injury
100 prop damage
1k med expense
comp - deductible varied
collision - deductible varied
8k miles year

NUMBERS
hagerty - declined to cover
Mercury (6 month policy)
$1,000 deductible: $1,545 premium
$2,000 deductible: $1,475 premium

Travelers (12 month policy)
$1,000 deductible: $3,385 premium
$1,500 deductible: $3,226 premium
$2,500 deductible: $2,962 premium

Geico - !!!! - 878/6 months. This SHOCKED me and obviously I bound it.

Allied/Nationwide/Liberty/Farmers/State Farm posted shocking premiums over 4k/6 months.

NOTES
1. Geico's quote off their website was crazy initially, it wasn't until I used "find an agent" and had a local agent do the work up that I got such fantastically good numbers. Never use the websites.
2. I did not find any website where the "quote me" function worked, or produced a number that wasn't eyepopping. The robo-generators are really meant for the common cars like toyota etc -- you really need an agent/human to quote an Aston.
3. Metromile which is my favorite, would not cover Astons period. I begged.
4. I bound Mercury initially, and after they bound it they immediately sent me a letter increasing premium drastically (300+/6 months) saying that they had to insure my car at its new price for "exotics" despite the fact it had lost 1/3 of its value and I had purchased it after that with documentation. I cancelled it straight away and switched to geico.
5. The best results came from independent agents - i.e. those agents that can shop the rate to multiple carriers. I have never had a competitively good price from a one-carrier only agent, e.g. state farm, EXCEPT for geico which was literally amazing and a godsend.
6. Obviously there is massive variance between carriers. it boils down to who has experience insuring astons and understands them - which it seems only geico does.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting, but honestly not helpful. Why? Because insurance varies tremendously depending on state/city/age/company/driving record/underwriting policies/etc, etc. What was good for you (Geico) may be unworkable for someone else. You basically can't rely on anyone's experience and extrapolate it to yourself. Insurance really bites the big one....

Glad you were able to find something that was reasonable for your situation !!

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 06-03-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Lots are using credit scores now, too.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
I went through a similar pain two weeks ago. My best option was Grundy. Unlimited miles, 300/100 and $800 per year. 38 male. Wife not covered for the Aston.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:31 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jbla
Hi all -

I recently went thru a considerable amount of quoting and annoyance on insuring my new '14 V8V roadster, and wanted to share some lessons learned to help those in the future. I found the documentation a bit sparse on the forums.

DEMOGRAPHICS
33/male in zip 90048 (Los Angeles CA)
25/female in same zip (second driver on policy)--NOTE some quotes did not include her but the numbers didnt change much
clean driving record no tickets no accidents for both drivers
Car msrp new - 141k
Bought used - 99k (stated value)

COVERAGE
100/300 bodily injury
100 prop damage
1k med expense
comp - deductible varied
collision - deductible varied
8k miles year

NUMBERS
hagerty - declined to cover
Mercury (6 month policy)
$1,000 deductible: $1,545 premium
$2,000 deductible: $1,475 premium

Travelers (12 month policy)
$1,000 deductible: $3,385 premium
$1,500 deductible: $3,226 premium
$2,500 deductible: $2,962 premium

Geico - !!!! - 878/6 months. This SHOCKED me and obviously I bound it.

Allied/Nationwide/Liberty/Farmers/State Farm posted shocking premiums over 4k/6 months.

NOTES
1. Geico's quote off their website was crazy initially, it wasn't until I used "find an agent" and had a local agent do the work up that I got such fantastically good numbers. Never use the websites.
2. I did not find any website where the "quote me" function worked, or produced a number that wasn't eyepopping. The robo-generators are really meant for the common cars like toyota etc -- you really need an agent/human to quote an Aston.
3. Metromile which is my favorite, would not cover Astons period. I begged.
4. I bound Mercury initially, and after they bound it they immediately sent me a letter increasing premium drastically (300+/6 months) saying that they had to insure my car at its new price for "exotics" despite the fact it had lost 1/3 of its value and I had purchased it after that with documentation. I cancelled it straight away and switched to geico.
5. The best results came from independent agents - i.e. those agents that can shop the rate to multiple carriers. I have never had a competitively good price from a one-carrier only agent, e.g. state farm, EXCEPT for geico which was literally amazing and a godsend.
6. Obviously there is massive variance between carriers. it boils down to who has experience insuring astons and understands them - which it seems only geico does.
I went through figuring out INS prices and how best to work the process last year when I had a Maserati. Here is what they said. Nationwide. A friend with State Farm, has a home, wife, tahoe, BMW, and 05' Bentley CGT and paid 110 a month for that car as pleasure.

1. For a AM or Maserati, listed as primary vehicle (WORK), the premium was between 270 and 300 a month. This was only a vehicle policy with ONE car on it.

2. If listed as Pleasure vehicle, on a two car policy, then premium would be around 150 a month or little less.

3. If added to a homeowners policy and 2 cars, as pleasure then 100 a month

All full coverage policies.

I now list my 1992 Mustang 5.0 Conv as a Primary vehicle and any others as a Pleasure vehicle with less than 5k miles a year. Keeps the premiums down. Paid for the Mustang in 2 years by doing this and now save money. Drive the Mustang very little. Just some thoughts.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Zettinger
I went through a similar pain two weeks ago. My best option was Grundy. Unlimited miles, 300/100 and $800 per year. 38 male. Wife not covered for the Aston.
What is your replacement value for your car?? I was just in process to get quote from grundy, they quoted me $1500.for 90K value.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by smogclinic
What is your replacement value for your car?? I was just in process to get quote from grundy, they quoted me $1500.for 90K value.
I did 65k value.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:56 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Zettinger
I did 65k value.
Nationwide just quoted me:

1. 92' Mustang 5.0 Conv primary driver work vehicle
2. 2010 V8Vantage w/ 99k stated value

Both full coverage, V8 listed as pleasure

2k per year uplift for the Vantage.

Looks like Nationwide is getting ready to be dropped, after a 30 year history with them.

Lets see how USAA or Geico does.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Nationwide just quoted me:

1. 92' Mustang 5.0 Conv primary driver work vehicle
2. 2010 V8Vantage w/ 99k stated value

Both full coverage, V8 listed as pleasure

2k per year uplift for the Vantage.

Looks like Nationwide is getting ready to be dropped, after a 30 year history with them.

Lets see how USAA or Geico does.
Progressive quoted me ~800 for 6 month when I bought my Aston two month ago.
This was only good for two weeks till Progressive send me the renewal quote for the next 6 month.
They decided to "revise" the Aston quote to ~1200 / 6mo and additional adding ~100 to my other cars.

Sounds like a commercial now but:
I switched now to Safeco for the BMW's and Grundy for the Aston.
Saved my over 50% for the year.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Allstate made a mistake on my rates

I just got my renewal card from Allstate - it showed my 15 GT as being a V12, then I looked at the original card and it too was listed as a V12, not the V8 I have! They are crediting me the $600 a year over charge. Glad I caught it.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Matt2364 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to add another idea.

I was denied by about 10 companies for my 2011 V12 Vantage and finally got an offer from Hagertys for $6,500 a year at a $120k valuation. Luckily I had read this thread and realized that was really high and pushed on for more offers.

My insurance agent was able to bundle my home, and 2 other cars into a package with Travelers Insurance and ended up at $1,520 a year for the V12 which I was thrilled with. That is full coverage, unlimited miles, etc.

I am 29 and have had 2 speeding tickets in the last 3 years (29 in 25, and 69 in 60). Sounds like all the insurance companies were scared away based on my age and driving record (which I thought was really good). Both tickets were back in November of 2013 before I wised up and got a passport 9500ci.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I have my 2016 Vantage GT with Hagerty, as well as my 1965 E-Type and my wife's 1963 Falcon sprint.
The Vantage is insured for $143,000 and 0 deductible and 3500 miles a year and $1000 /$3000. The rate is $1600 a year.
59 years old male
And my 27 year old daughter as well.
I have had HAGERTY for 8 years now and have no complaints.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 08-10-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
I have my 2016 Vantage GT with Hagerty, as well as my 1965 E-Type and my wife's 1963 Falcon sprint.
The Vantage is insured for $143,000 and 0 deductible and 3500 miles a year and $1000 /$3000. The rate is $1600 a year.
59 years old male
And my 27 year old daughter as well.
I have had HAGERTY for 8 years now ab
Ned have no complaints.
Ron

44yrs old, no tickets, no accidents. Only car policy. I don't live anywhere long enough to buy.

My nationwide agent is currently working this---

92 Mustang 5.0 conv to be used as daily

2005 DB9 with ACV set for $70k full coverage (Hagerty's is sister or parent company with Nationwide) This will be an addendum on my policy.

We will see what they come up with. If high, I will try USAA due to military background. I will post the figures when they come in this week. They are currently charging me:

$210 a month for the 92 Mustang and 2013 E class non AMG Merc.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:44 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
any ontario canada members have quotes to share
best deal i could get hagerty $1300 yr shocker was $2500 deductable
07 v8v value $54k male 58yr clean licence

Old 08-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by cadman
any ontario canada members have quotes to share
best deal i could get hagerty $1300 yr shocker was $2500 deductable
07 v8v value $54k male 58yr clean licence

I usually will keep my deductibles around 1k or 1500. When needed its no fun paying that, but fortunately I have not ever used it. South Carolina replaces windshields for 0 deductible and it doesn't go on INS. So that's the only thing I worry about. IF I hit someone, or do something stupid, its usually easier to fix myself, without having to pay an extra $50 or so a month for years before I need it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin insurance thread, US/California