Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Bespoke sill plates for the Dr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:18 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks very nice Tony

Old 08-11-2016, 09:16 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Well I pm'd someone on here about a set - never heard back so took to making my own. Ran it by a local trophy engraver and he said provided I give him the PDF file he can engrave anything up to a max 0.30mm deep. I had a choice of metals so I opted for brass but might also get a set of stainless steel and try both.

Here's what they will look like - I'll post a pic when they're installed.

ISW Aston Martin bespoke Door Sill Plates

Old 08-11-2016, 10:16 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BMW-North
Well I pm'd someone on here about a set - never heard back so took to making my own. Ran it by a local trophy engraver and he said provided I give him the PDF file he can engrave anything up to a max 0.30mm deep. I had a choice of metals so I opted for brass but might also get a set of stainless steel and try both.

ISW Aston Martin bespoke Door Sill Plates
wow that looks great! can't wait to see the final product. also wonder if i could take this to a local guy and just have him engrave the backside of my current plate.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:37 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
wow that looks great! can't wait to see the final product. also wonder if i could take this to a local guy and just have him engrave the backside of my current plate.
The front side of your current plate is polished and bevelled (appears via sanding) completely around the edge. You would want to do that to the back also prior to engraving. I think a bigger hurdle in using the current plates though might be the two counter-sunk holes on the face side. If you counter-sink them from the back you will just create an oversized hole that wouldn't hold down the plate with the current hardware.

I didn't want to mess with the current plates in case I decide to put them back or sell the car and the new owner wouldn't want my name on it.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:24 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
The front side of your current plate is polished and bevelled (appears via sanding) completely around the edge. You would want to do that to the back also prior to engraving. I think a bigger hurdle in using the current plates though might be the two counter-sunk holes on the face side. If you counter-sink them from the back you will just create an oversized hole that wouldn't hold down the plate with the current hardware.

I didn't want to mess with the current plates in case I decide to put them back or sell the car and the new owner wouldn't want my name on it.
ah i see what you mean...although at least i wouldn't have had to worry about the name thing as mine was originally customized by the first owner

Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all

That looks awesome! Definitely interested in seeing the final version.

Did the trophy shop cut the blank plates for you or did you order blanks from somewhere else?

Old 08-12-2016, 03:48 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Hand perfected by the Scottish

is that the same as saying perfected by the Irish

Look fwd to seeing Tony's plate .

I'm going to make new set for my car this weekend saying taxed to death by the ANC

All in love if my patriotic mood for our recent elections....my wife says I can't add the old South African flag ..... Nor the Union Jack

Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by tonyhall40
on those plates the engraver would i suspect diamond drag the design....would look good i think....if you send me the pdf i can laser etch the work to see what i comes out like...
Hi Tony - that'd be great. PDF attached

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sill-plate.pdf (84.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi Tony - looks pretty good. This is etched - correct? That is the same process used on the current plates? How does it react to harsh chemicals or say minor surface abrasion? Is there a way to coat it for protection?

How thick is your material?

BTW you were correct - the engraver says they are using a diamond tip to cut but doubt the depth will be deep enough for me to colour fill. I also have to supply material (anything but cobalt or tungsten) and drill/countersink & bevel. I'm hoping to cut the plates today (hopefully if I can get out of a scheduled meeting).

Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Oh wow, I would love to get my hands on a set of copper plates

Old 08-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by mkzhang
Oh wow, I would love to get my hands on a set of copper plates

You can buy sheet copper at any Metal Supermarket across North America or the UK. Not sure if it would be too soft though?

Last edited by BMW-North; 08-15-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Oh ops, I meant I love the ""copper" look. Always have a weakness for brass / copper looking kitchen ware and bathroom faucets

Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Hey Tony - I like the contrast from the brass. How thick was your door sill material? I'm doing the Final Inspection Plate at the same time and it appears to be much thinner than the door sill plate. I won't be able to cut these from the same material.

Attached Images  

Last edited by BMW-North; 08-15-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by tonyhall40
engine plate thickness not an issue...when i have done them in the past have 1.2mm satin stainless...but have also used 2mm.....1.2 mm is the norm because i can cut from the same sheet as i use for sill plates if i get short of the 1.5mm...the difference is negligible...
Thanks Tony - I'd prefer to use the same gauge for both. I have a choice between 16ga (0.05″) or 14ga (0.063") The 14ga would be closer to 1.2mm then.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
I'm getting some plates.

Next need to design the plate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bespoke sill plates for the Dr