Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Bespoke sill plates for the Dr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:32 PM
patrija is on a distinguished road
I'm interested! Also Atlanta 😜

Old 08-16-2016, 11:55 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
why dont we print it onto a piece of paper and glue it onto the sill plates???

guys with respect if your all looking for bespoke plates that look like they come off a Mahindra by all means carry on...if you want milled to perfection plates you know who is serious?

In a few days Dr Brent will have his plates let him be the voice.
I printed into exactly what he wanted and could have made the font and depth any sise.
But to print a label like thing and put it on a Aston...well. not for me, I do bespoke work on some shotguns that cost more than most Astons and my clients are fussy to say the least, cant see em accepting a print on the side of a Purdy, so why have it on your Aston? unless its in the gas Flap

The sill plates need to be a piece of art not a label showing where to get in or out - or like a no push decal we have on aircraft

Old 08-16-2016, 12:35 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Capt - not to speak out of turn here, but you are talking a really big game for someone that has made one set of bespoke plates for an owner on this forum.

You made your plates, posted pics, and got your due congrats. Kudos to you for making a great plate. In terms of helping others outfit their AMs though, it seems to me like you have big talk, but little action. A few weeks ago, after seeing your great plates, I posted saying that I would be interested in participating in a group buy. Since then Tony has posted a number of custom plates he has done and Telum has set up an area to purchase custom plates on his website, but I haven't seen any info from you about actually providing the service for people on this forum.

Based on what I know, Tony has been providing bespoke plates and other bespoke items to owners for YEARS. If you want to offer a competing product, great. I'm all for having more options to choose from. At this point though, it looks like Tony is the only game in town. If you are so concerned with the quality of plate that people are putting on their AMs, please step up and do something about it!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:22 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mindscape9
Capt - not to speak out of turn here, but you are talking a really big game for someone that has made one set of bespoke plates for an owner on this forum.

You made your plates, posted pics, and got your due congrats. Kudos to you for making a great plate. In terms of helping others outfit their AMs though, it seems to me like you have big talk, but little action. A few weeks ago, after seeing your great plates, I posted saying that I would be interested in participating in a group buy. Since then Tony has posted a number of custom plates he has done and Telum has set up an area to purchase custom plates on his website, but I haven't seen any info from you about actually providing the service for people on this forum.

Based on what I know, Tony has been providing bespoke plates and other bespoke items to owners for YEARS. If you want to offer a competing product, great. I'm all for having more options to choose from. At this point though, it looks like Tony is the only game in town. If you are so concerned with the quality of plate that people are putting on their AMs, please step up and do something about it!

I am saying lets not make cheap looking additions to Astons? printed stuff IMO is not quite where an Aston should be just my opinion, its like fitting TSW wheels onto an Aston, they may fit but do little to enhance the look and feel.

As for service sir with respect i will make anything you need priding myself on hand build gun parts and bespoke gun machining, i am just not sure i could be bothered working an hour for 100 USD when customising a Purdy i can charge upwards of 3000 USD ?

While I respect people want bespoke goodies...? to simply do cheap stickers is not what it should be ...

If your in town pop in and have a beer while i demonstrate how a 5 axi CnC machine does its magic.

Remember I do it as a hobby and with respect people from all over the world send their Guns to me so my work Im sure is at least to the minimum standard. Currently clients are waiting 3-6 Months for full gun bespoke and ND machining.

However that being said Dr Brent sent me a Private mail and within 4 days his plates were cut and in the mail, I do not respond to blanket mails anymore than I do to beggars in the street so forgive me for not running after you and begging to cut your plates

Old 08-16-2016, 01:57 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Capt - totally understandable. We're all busy folks here and I would not expect you to cut and mill plates for owners out of the goodness of your heart if your time is more valuable than the market rate to cut and sell plates.

However, when you talk about how you can make such amazing plates and go to great lengths to put down another member of this community for the service that he IS providing, one can only assume you have a motive beyond simply denigrating another's work.

My apologies for assuming your aim was more than to showcase your handiwork. If that is the case, please toot your horn all you want, make a single comment of your displeasure of Tony's work even, but please stop continuously bashing his plates. Its just not a productive use of this forum.

I'm going to end my involvement here as I honestly have no dog in this fight and I am sure Tony doesn't need me to fight his battles for him. If I am ever in CT, I'll definitely look you up, buy you a beer, and we can put this silliness behind us.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:26 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
If one is posting approaches or custom developed products in the hopes of soliciting sales from forum members it becomes quickly transparent. Not saying in this instance it is true but it does seem to be the case on this forum for a few other things I've already noticed, and supported by odd forum rules.

In other forums I participate members develop products and either share their benefit at cost or with a slight markup.

I'm making my own plates. I came here for ideas. I think both laser etching or milling might be appropriate. Personally I'm leaning toward a preference for laser etching (like the current plates) since (IMHO) the milling is too wide and makes them look obviously non OE - and I don't have a CNC machine

Appearance items are always subjective and to each his own. Everyone will have an opinion and that's ok. Mine might not look as good as either Tony's or Greg's but the point will be that "I made them" - and I like them.

Spent a fair bit of time last night sanding and filing stainless steel as I did not like the look of brass when I saw it up close. I could have ordered a set from either of you but I'm a big fan of DIY - and the satisfaction that comes from that approach - that's why I came to this forum - to learn how to do things (on an AM) that I haven't done before. So I will be going with stainless steel, laser etched. If they turn out too bad I won't use them but given the good advice I've read here already (from all) they should be ok. - in any case I'll like them - that's what matters anyway since hardly anyone will ever see them.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tonyhall40
am back in the building for a minute.....totally agree with above....well said...
is rich putting your product on his website? thought i heard someone mention that.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:58 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'd offered to host a product listing for Greg for anyone that wanted to order them and coordinate the deliveries. Basically acting as a middleman for a group buy. Main concern is that AML might stomp down on me for it, since the product has their logo on it. Still open to the idea just needs to be handled in a way that doesn't get a cease and desist sent to my website.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by telum01
I'd offered to host a product listing for Greg for anyone that wanted to order them and coordinate the deliveries. Basically acting as a middleman for a group buy. Main concern is that AML might stomp down on me for it, since the product has their logo on it. Still open to the idea just needs to be handled in a way that doesn't get a cease and desist sent to my website.

My 2 cents: I don't believe "owners" making these for their own cars would have any issue since it would be for a functional use. If an issue were to arise it might be due to using copyrighted or trademarked property for profit. The dollar amount is trivial although making automotive parts and falsely stamping with the original logo is epidemic for many luxury brands. BMW has a Brand Protection Team for this sort of thing that get anonymous public tips and investigates. I would imagine AM is too small to have this type of resources.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:10 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BMW-North
My 2 cents: I don't believe "owners" making these for their own cars would have any issue since it would be for a functional use. If an issue were to arise it might be due to using copyrighted or trademarked property for profit. The dollar amount is trivial although making automotive parts and falsely stamping with the original logo is epidemic for many luxury brands. BMW has a Brand Protection Team for this sort of thing that get anonymous public tips and investigates. I would imagine AM is too small to have this type of resources.
As its been mentioned before, AML employees visit this site and look at the threads. So yes, they do see things and its just a simple talking to their lawyers to have a cease and desist order drawn up. Usually they are about 60 pages long. Dont ask, I have many great ideas that have been done. So not worth it in the long run, but sometimes they do look the other way. The issue is the logo's or reprinting of an employees name. Even if they don't offer replacements. Making one personally for your own car, not really a big deal to anyone, but selling them, even for cost can lead to issues. Just my .02 on the subject, since I do know a bit about it.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM
I think if we are going to augment the car and personalize the best car on the planet we need to improve on OEM, Tony I'm not slating anyone's work, I'm simply saying we need to customize to perfection.
In Defence to Brent's plate I cut it to the font he wanted ? Look at my Bond plate and then if you like I can post a pic of milling on the side of a clients Purdy and inscription on his Omega wrist watch, himself a James Bond wannebe?

My sill plates were removed because the etching became "worn" or taty and not pronounced enough for me, that was the only reason I did my first set. I have no commercial interest in building plates for cars ( myself commanding a very decent income for sitting on my bottom and enjoying the best view in the world)

That said if any one email me directly and wants a part machined in billet be it steel, aluminum or titanium I will do it.

On the AR 15's I work on (mostly Danial Defence) for men who have no money issues they are disappointed with the standard etching on the weapons and want a more defined print that can only be done by milling.
So in my opinion etching is in fact no more than a enhanced sticker and it can be compromised by scratches or wear, a milled part will out last any Aston or Audi.

I am zone out on this one, but as parting thought .... For guys who were in the military? We're your tags etched or stamped ? If etching was an option trust me they would not have punched them, if it was not a cost based decision they would mill them.
I do ceramic coating on weapons as well and that finish is harder then most steel finishes yet after a few hundred pulls from a holster it still wears, now consider that and then look at your wrist watch buckle? be it Rolex or Omega, or even Bell and Ross, the machined clasp lasts a lifetime, now if it was etched how many weeks before it looks tarnished? There is a place for both techniques, if guys simply want a sticker to say hand built or hand inspected the could do it on a label printer, if you want it to snap knicker elastic ..... Do it with authority
Look at the pic of my bond plate directly next to the OEM plate and judge for yourselves for quick comparison, OEM etched versus Milled

again Im not bashing the technique or the artist, but if Im going bespoke i want better than OEM

Last edited by captain Greg; 08-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by BMW-North
hine

Appeara that's what matters anyway since hardly anyone will ever see them.
then you would be ok walking around with dirty underwear? because no one ever see's it? in my opinion sir its all in the details

I have made a dealer replace a service book because they got oils stains and dirty prints on it during routine service ...and that book lives in a leather bound booklet in the trunk, do you think Im over the top?

Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
then you would be ok walking around with dirty underwear? because no one ever see's it? in my opinion sir its all in the details
I let this one go earlier:

Originally Posted by captain Greg
Hand perfected by the Scottish

is that the same as saying perfected by the Irish
I did not reply to your first dig at the Irish & Scottish, not letting the last one go though. I really didn't see the need to insult people, but since you've opened that can of worms twice now, from reading your last couple of posts I need to inform you of a couple of things:

1. If you think this is the best car in the world you have seriously limited exposure to some of the finest cars in the world, and that statement tells me you know very little about fine cars in general. Get out of your own head.

2. Your references to attracting women through a flash car and laughably "Bespoke plates" is infantile, immature and generally sexist. You are a cad.

3. Your ego was bruised when other plates or ideas were discussed and you vehemently present your as superior so combined with your immaturity and reaction you demonstrate serious extreme ego and low esteem issues, so this last one may be difficult.

4. I wasn't going to say this as there was no need earlier - I preferred Tony's etched approach since it duplicated the AM logo exactly. The font is the exact same narrow format - yours my friend is not - it will always look a home made substitute.

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Alright, I was hoping some more discussion and pics of custom plates would bring this back but it's not happening so I'm closing this thread down.

If you guys want to show off your custom plates, feel free to create a new thread. But keep discussion focused on the plates and keep the conversation civil.