Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2006 V8V - clunk in steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
2006 V8V - clunk in steering

Recently my 2006 V8V has developed a clunk in the steering. It happens when turning at full lock, especially in reverse. There is no play in the steering, wheel wobble or anything else indicating a problem. There is a very slight vibration in the steering wheel when it happens. It feels/sounds like something in the steering shaft itself, rather than at the box/wheels.

Any ideas?

Tia.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 AM
BillV8V has a spectacular aura aboutBillV8V has a spectacular aura aboutBillV8V has a spectacular aura about
My 07 did that with the wheel turned all the way to the left, they said it was a bent sway bar end. They replaced it and it went away.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:44 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by keitheva
Recently my 2006 V8V has developed a clunk in the steering. It happens when turning at full lock, especially in reverse. There is no play in the steering, wheel wobble or anything else indicating a problem. There is a very slight vibration in the steering wheel when it happens. It feels/sounds like something in the steering shaft itself, rather than at the box/wheels.

Any ideas?

Tia.
Update, still have this issue. Two shops have tried and failed to find any cause in the suspension or steering systems. The sound happens intermittently on full lock travelling either forwards or reverse, left or right, slow and fast speeds. It very much sounds like its coming from somewhere around the steering column. It hasn't gotten any worse with time, and other than the noise there are no other symptoms. It does sound like a dry joint somewhere.

Revisiting this to see if anyone has any new ideas.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Redpants
Checked all the bushings, especially control arms?
Yes, the two shops both went through all the steering and suspension components and found nothing untoward.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:50 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Stupid question but have you looked at the airbag bushes in the back of the steering wheel assembly?
dont give me the finger ...your car is at the age where these little plastic spacers could need replacement they cost nothing and make a big difference.

I say this having owned a Merc SL when I was a bit younger the previous generation that still had grace and personality and a removable hard top .....it developed a knock that I swear came from the exhaust system....on investigation it was found to be the rubber grommets on the windscreen support frame ?
Some noises can be deceiving i replaced my airbag bushes got them from Aston bits for like a pound incl shipping but sure Redpants will have stock

just check it it will save some grey hairs

Old 07-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Stupid question but have you looked at the airbag bushes in the back of the steering wheel assembly?
dont give me the finger ...your car is at the age where these little plastic spacers could need replacement they cost nothing and make a big difference.

I say this having owned a Merc SL when I was a bit younger the previous generation that still had grace and personality and a removable hard top .....it developed a knock that I swear came from the exhaust system....on investigation it was found to be the rubber grommets on the windscreen support frame ?
Some noises can be deceiving i replaced my airbag bushes got them from Aston bits for like a pound incl shipping but sure Redpants will have stock

just check it it will save some grey hairs
Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, where exactly are these and how do I check them?

Old 07-30-2018, 02:31 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Old 07-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Thanks!

It's not a rattle, just a one-off, "clunk" every now and then on full lock with very minor feedback through the steering wheel.

But it's worth ruling out all possibilities.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:43 PM
Quang is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks!

It's not a rattle, just a one-off, "clunk" every now and then on full lock with very minor feedback through the steering wheel.

But it's worth ruling out all possibilities.
Mine seems to have the same click-click noise

Have you resolved the issue?

Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Quang
Mine seems to have the same click-click noise

Have you resolved the issue?
Nope. Still happens occasionally. My working theory is a dry joint somewhere. It hasn't gotten any worse so I'm not bothered about it.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Nope. Still happens occasionally. My working theory is a dry joint somewhere. It hasn't gotten any worse so I'm not bothered about it.
Thanks. I am afraid it's getting worse eventually. Thinking of to have Porsche dealer to inspect it.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:40 PM
JL_MPLS will become famous soon enough
I had a similar issue (not a clunk, but a repeated clicking sound (think rachet sound). It was the clock spring in the steering column for the airbag. Hope this helps.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-17-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:25 PM
Thanks. The sound come from under the car. Could it be drive axle or transmission?

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-17-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Interesting, I am noting similar symptoms as well...going to have my friend’s shop inspect it and will update with any info.