Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Adding water to battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Adding water to battery

I live in Florida . It hard on batteries. So I added a good amount to the FX and thought I would check the Vantage. It seems I would almost have to dissemble stuff as if I was replacing the darn thing. Question can the water level be checked and if necessary added? It does not appear to be a sealed battery.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:00 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
What car do you have? Modern AMs have sealed batteries so you can't (or at least it's not intended) add water to them.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
i can't remember the last time i checked a battery's water level.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I am so young compared to you folks that when I think about battery and water I think about getting electrocuted haha

Old 08-25-2016, 11:35 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
What car do you have? Modern AMs have sealed batteries so you can't (or at least it's not intended) add water to them.
2007 Vantage.

Not all batteries are sealed. If they are not, charging will sometimes evaporate the water levels in the cells. Periodically adding distilled water to keep the plates covered extends the life of the battery. Checked the water level on the fx a few days ago and the water level was so low the plates were exposed. Each cell took a fair amount to water. As the battery condition is so critical with the Vantage I though checking the water level in the battery was a good idea ( if you can)
Apparently no one does this anymore ??

Old 08-25-2016, 11:36 AM
Looked at the battery, it has a vent tube which would indicate that it is not sealed?

Old 08-25-2016, 11:42 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Sealed and serviceable are two different things... There is a series of plugs on the top of the battery, you may be able to open them up. I haven't tried it, though.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
The OEM batteries are serviceable, the caps unscrew. You can add distilled water if low. Or you can wait until it doesn't start then add aspirin to each cell for one last start.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=J Or you can wait until it doesn't start then add aspirin to each cell for one last start.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Old 08-25-2016, 08:21 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by telum01
Sealed and serviceable are two different things... There is a series of plugs on the top of the battery, you may be able to open them up. I haven't tried it, though.

I had this same battery in my DB9 since I purchased the car 2 years ago. Had it refilled with distilled water twice since (due to deep-cycle charging) but it went off 3 weeks ago. I replaced it with a cheap 12V 100Ah battery since the continuous heat over here is a big strain on any battery. The longest any battery has last in my cars here is 3 years.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:34 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by telum01
Hmm, Mine is sealed, no plugs. I guess it's not the original battery,