Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wheel Alignment? Uneven wear...

Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 PM
got one will become famous soon enough
Wheel Alignment? Uneven wear...

Well, I have a 07 vantage and i got it on the lift yesterday and noticed the rear tires are wearing thin. Does anyone have alignment specs for our cars...that don't include the more aggressive street setup. I drive alot and want my next set of tires to last.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:13 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I was not aware that the normal (street) alignment was considered "aggressive" AFAIK, the normal (factory) alignment specs will give you the best compromise of tire wear and driving dynamics. I suggest that you take the car to a qualified alignment shop. They should have the factory specs in their alignment computer and should be qualified to suggest, if necessary, slight variations for better tire wear.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Well, I do have the specs from the shop manual, but does anyone have anything different they would recommend?

Old 09-06-2016, 09:21 AM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
So were your tires just worn evenly or worn on the inside or outside?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by boxercupdave
So were your tires just worn evenly or worn on the inside or outside?
The both were worn on the inside the same way...which was much greater than the outside. Like it was aligned that way.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:54 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
That's pretty normal for these cars.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
That's pretty normal for these cars.
I would agree, if the tires weren't almost brand new with less than a few thousand miles on them. the 75% of the tread width is almost brand new looking...accept the very inside...so, no way folks are going through tires every 3-4,000 miles.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:11 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
do you have spacers on the rear tires?

Old 09-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by embdenb
do you have spacers on the rear tires?
Nope

Old 09-06-2016, 07:17 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
Quick way is to put a level on the wheel rim to see how many degrees from vertical but must be on level ground. I would think neg 1 to 1.5 degrees for modern wide tire. I don't have the factory numbers.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:43 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
stock rear camber is -1.75. -2.75 seem to be common if lowered.

Last edited by impulsiv; 09-06-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 PM
wow -2.75 seems a lot to me even for a track car. Even if lowered I would think you would never need that much camber when static (still). I redesigned my old corvette to reduce camber gain and it was -1.5 static to -2.25 compressed which was aggressive for old narrow tires and I ended up with -1 static to -1.75 compressed for modern wide tires (12 in width)

I would suggest Got One get the current setup numbers and go from there and see if close to -1.75

Old 09-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by boxercupdave
wow -2.75 seems a lot to me even for a track car. Even if lowered I would think you would never need that much camber when static (still). I redesigned my old corvette to reduce camber gain and it was -1.5 static to -2.25 compressed which was aggressive for old narrow tires and I ended up with -1 static to -1.75 compressed for modern wide tires (12 in width)

I would suggest Got One get the current setup numbers and go from there and see if close to -1.75
The Aston's rear suspension adjustment range is small. This small adjustment range very often will not bring a lowered car back to factory specs. The lowered guys live with it. One other point, tire wear on the inside can be negative camber but also excessive toe out. Before going any further I suggest a visit to a reputable alignment shop. Rear tires should last more that 4K or 5K

Old 09-07-2016, 11:59 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
4-5k is way too short a lifespan, definitely something wrong there. Agree with the above, get the car looked at by a really good alignment shop.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
with light neg camber even 1* if you have to much toe in you will scrub off the insides faster than if you had extreme neg camber.

this is what my money is on.... rear toe in being too much. (toe in = rear end stability for tuning purposes)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment? Uneven wear...