Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Coil Pack Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:58 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
DB9 Coil Pack Replacement

So it's finally time to replace the coil packs in my '06 DB9.
I'm about 50/50 on whether I'm going to a dealer or do it myself over the winter.
I've changed my oil, replaced door struts, brake pads, and the convertible roof module myself. I've torn apart my console and doors to install a Grom Bluetooth module and refinished wood. I've replaced my nav gears. But the coil pack project looks like it could be on a whole different level. (I've reviewed the Aston1936 blog and other postings).
Who has had a dealer replace V12 coil packs and how much did it cost?
Who has done it yourself?
Who has other advice and comments?
Thanks!

Old 11-05-2016, 02:18 PM
EuroKip is an unknown quantity at this point
The toughest part of this job is getting access to the rear intake bolts that sit far under the windscreen. After you remove the fuel rails first without disconnecting the fuel supply , swing them as a pair to the far side of the intake you'll be removing first. Do the driver side first because it sits the furthest back. At this point you'll be able to reach to feel this fastener and will have a harder time trying to even see it. If you have the tools and patience to get this far , then you'll be fine from there on.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
+1 to Eurokip

Was a little intimidated myself but everything went fine.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:07 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Time consuming ( weekend if you have worked on cars or two if slow and methodical), I have done it once and about to do it again to get a leaky valve cover gasket.

BTW: If you do do it, replace the valve cover gaskets while there, it is 30-40 minutes more work and if you need any help just let me know.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:44 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, all. I'm gonna give it a try!
Randy...I saw on your Pistonheads post you were trying to determine whether you had the 2- or 3-wire coils before you began to disassemble. Were you successful? I have an '06 that was manufactured in November '05, so I'm concerned that mine may be on the cusp of the changeover. However, I'm pretty sure that the engines weren't installed sequentially according to their serial number (mine is AM04 14958). I'm hoping I don't have to disassemble then wait until the parts arrive!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:50 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Feb 2006 DB9. I don't have my engine number, but my VIN ends in 5514. 3 pin coils in mine.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by zuman
Thanks, all. I'm gonna give it a try!
Randy...I saw on your Pistonheads post you were trying to determine whether you had the 2- or 3-wire coils before you began to disassemble. Were you successful? I have an '06 that was manufactured in November '05, so I'm concerned that mine may be on the cusp of the changeover. However, I'm pretty sure that the engines weren't installed sequentially according to their serial number (mine is AM04 14958). I'm hoping I don't have to disassemble then wait until the parts arrive!
No I was not, I have talked to AM and AM mechanics and all say 2 pin coils go into the 07's. My 2007 is a 2 pin.

I almost bought both sets of coils, as I could not tell if my car had the grounds or not. I talked to 3 different mechanics about the grounds and none could tell me exactly what to look for, except the grounds bolt to the back of the heads, which you cannot see or get too. I met another guy here in Birmingham with a DB9 and we were looking at his and could not tell.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Again, thanks to all.
I emailed Aston Martin tech info, and "Viktor" replied that "up to 2007 the 2-pin coils were used." That, of course, seems to be the most common situation, but there are outliers such as YVR's three-pins in a February '06 car.
I've noticed in the AMOC registry that DB9 engines were not all installed sequentially, and that some earlier chassis ended up with higher serial number engines and vice versa.
As my MY '06 car was manufactured (for the most part!) in late 2005, I'll assume that it has the 2-pin coils...as long as I can return them if they're wrong!
It might be useful to others to create a list of engine numbers and type of coil used (or do you think I might be wrong in assuming that the two correspond???)...I'll post on Pistonheads and AMOC and see if those who've replaced them can provide the information.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:31 PM
About to trade in mine, so if you tell me how to look for the engine nbr, I will post it.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
My car started to get misfires as well once warmed-up: it showed specifically misfires on cylinder 1, 6 9 11 and 12. I have an early (build no. 311) late '04 DB9 with 43.500 miles on the clock.

Steve from Aston1936 has the change-out process of the coils and spark-plugs meticulously described on his page with the parts you need to get as well.

I did change out:

- 12 pcs. of 2-pin coils;
- 12 pcs. of spark plugs;
- 24 pcs of O-rings (fuel-injectors)
- 2 pcs. of PCV valves

This costed me in parts USD 375.00 including delivery only, bought through one of the major online websites.

Coils: I bought Jaguar S-TYPE 1999-2007 3.0 V6 coils which are identical to the 4G4E-12A366-AA that came out of my car apart from them being 'unmarked' (no logo)
Spark Plugs: I bought NGK ITR6F13 4477 plugs. The price of these plugs was higher then the coil pricing :-)
O-rings + injector filter: bought 3 sets of FUEL INJECTOR SERVICE KIT BOSCH 0280155 FIAT PEUGEOT VW OUR SEAL KIT 2 from a UK-source
PCV-Valves: while having the manifolds off the access was supposed to be easier... Glad I did replace these Ford Motorcraft valves since I had too much oil coming into my airfilters.

Note: I reused the inlet-gaskets since I felt they were fine after inspection.

It took me a 1,5 day in total to do the whole job. Hardest part is the access restraints to the bolts at the back of the engine (under the windscreen). I cleaned the injectors and made sure they got back in the same hole they got out from.

Just finished the works today, took her out from a testdrive, made sure to do the coast-down procedure and check the misfire counts on my Autel afterwards: all showed nil and oh boy what does she drives great again! the rev-pickup feels like it had never been that way before.

Happy bunny here you can imagine!

Big credits to Aston1936's 'how too' on this change-out.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180319_1431034.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	780.4 KB
ID:	522640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180316_1525234.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	522641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180316_1457566.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	707.3 KB
ID:	522642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180316_1509472.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	522643  
Old 01-18-2022, 03:26 AM
fu03steve is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sdekoning
My car started to get misfires as well once warmed-up: it showed specifically misfires on cylinder 1, 6 9 11 and 12. I have an early (build no. 311) late '04 DB9 with 43.500 miles on the clock.

Steve from Aston1936 has the change-out process of the coils and spark-plugs meticulously described on his page with the parts you need to get as well.

I did change out:

- 12 pcs. of 2-pin coils;
- 12 pcs. of spark plugs;
- 24 pcs of O-rings (fuel-injectors)
- 2 pcs. of PCV valves

This costed me in parts USD 375.00 including delivery only, bought through one of the major online websites.

Coils: I bought Jaguar S-TYPE 1999-2007 3.0 V6 coils which are identical to the 4G4E-12A366-AA that came out of my car apart from them being 'unmarked' (no logo)
Spark Plugs: I bought NGK ITR6F13 4477 plugs. The price of these plugs was higher then the coil pricing :-)
O-rings + injector filter: bought 3 sets of FUEL INJECTOR SERVICE KIT BOSCH 0280155 FIAT PEUGEOT VW OUR SEAL KIT 2 from a UK-source
PCV-Valves: while having the manifolds off the access was supposed to be easier... Glad I did replace these Ford Motorcraft valves since I had too much oil coming into my airfilters.

Note: I reused the inlet-gaskets since I felt they were fine after inspection.

It took me a 1,5 day in total to do the whole job. Hardest part is the access restraints to the bolts at the back of the engine (under the windscreen). I cleaned the injectors and made sure they got back in the same hole they got out from.

Just finished the works today, took her out from a testdrive, made sure to do the coast-down procedure and check the misfire counts on my Autel afterwards: all showed nil and oh boy what does she drives great again! the rev-pickup feels like it had never been that way before.

Happy bunny here you can imagine!

Big credits to Aston1936's 'how too' on this change-out.
Your photo of the Jaguar S-type coil packs has a different base and spring as the AM part number. Did you use the top end of the coil pack and change the boot with spring?

Old 01-18-2022, 10:37 AM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the boots need to be changed. You'll often find that the edges of your coil boots will be slightly torn when pulling them out. Not worth reusing. Just buy the coils direct from aliexpress. From what I've read the genuine AM coils are also made in China now. A bunch of us are running the "cheap" coils with no issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.