Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

what tools/stuff to bring on a 2k mi road trip with a new to you DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
what tools/stuff to bring on a 2k mi road trip with a new to you DB9

Almost every DB9 that I find to meet my requirements is way west or south of Boston where I live.

My plan would be to fly in, do a PPI, finalize a deal and drive home from wherever I find my perfect car.

So, as the title suggests, what to bring? Yes I have AAA+ and I know there are limits to what even the most experienced of us can fix at roadside.

I'll start the list:

ELM 327 obd / wifi
Leatherman
small digital VOM
Tire pressure gauge
Adjustable wrench
1/4 drive socket set (mm / Inch?)
Torx drives (which sizes?)

Well, you get the idea. Has to fit in a small checked bag that will also fit in the trunk.

What else?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Duct Tape
WD-40

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
Don't get mad but a big wad of cash.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:37 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
Nothing will g wrong. Unless you buy a lemon. Better bring a bottle of whiskey and a box of nice cigars

Old 11-22-2016, 09:45 PM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
First off... Make sure the car has an air compressor in the boot. A tire plug kit from advanced auto can come in handy if you pick up a nail along the way. I always bring a bunch of tools for road trips- wrenches are always most useful(8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, and 18mm). Also a pair of side cutters, needle nose pliers and a pair of vise grips. A handful of zip ties, roll of electrical tape, and a small spool of wire have saved me several times. If you're going to bring torx- you'll really only need t20, t30, t40, and t50 for an Aston. Hope this was helpful... Have a great trip!

I always found that the more I bring, the less I need. When I leave something behind is when I need it most haha

Last edited by Timodc; 11-22-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:38 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I flew to Saratago from Seattle and drove my V8VS home. She roared all the way home, around 900 miles.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:24 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
I would bring an antigravity microstart battery, or similar lithium ion jump start battery as well. Are good for recharging phones as well as starting dead car batteries in a very small package.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-10/

Post your route and get contacts for fellow Aston enthusiasts along the way. Find some cool places/restaurants/breweries on the drive.

Radar detector!

Old 11-23-2016, 02:39 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
A credit card.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:45 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flinder
A credit card.
American Express...don't leave home without it!

Old 11-23-2016, 06:55 AM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
Bring 1 quart of 10W-60 oil and that is all you need. You will not need tools. Enjoy the trip. If something goes wrong find the nearest Aston Martin dealer. A Jaguar dealer can be used as a backup.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:09 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Unless there's something actually wrong with the car, you'll be fine. I have a go-bag that I take when I'm going to the track: torx bits (T10-T40), sockets (8-14mm), socket(s) for lug nuts, ratchets, screwdrivers, multi-tool, allen keys, tire gauge, scan tool, paper towels, work gloves, windshield cleaner, and an extra liter of oil. I usually bring extra stuff to lend a hand if anyone else has issues, too. Definitely grab tire repair stuff (car should have a small compressor setup) in case you get a puncture since we don't have spare tires in our cars.

Originally Posted by Mark8V8
Bring 1 quart of 10W-60 oil and that is all you need. You will not need tools. Enjoy the trip. If something goes wrong find the nearest Aston Martin dealer. A Jaguar dealer can be used as a backup.
0w40

Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Also an emergency tire plug kit if you dont have the compressor & gell thing that comes with the car.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:17 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161123_090631.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	464103

This is all I had and a radar detector, from Connecticut to Kansas. I since have added a tire repair kit.

Regards,

Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I drove my '06 DB9 Volante (with 35k miles) 600 miles home after buying it at the curb at the airport. It rained for half of the drive, snowed for about an hour, and I had no license plate!
No problems, thank goodness.
Since then I've only had two problems on the road over the past two years: the instrument panel and lighting problems that accompany the convertible roof module failure, and a PRND switch lock-up that resulted from pressing them too rapidly in succession. If you don't have a Volante you don't need to worry about the CRM...
That said, I'd go with both a tire goop kit and a Dynaplug Xtreme repair kit with compressor (Amazon). I also put a scissor jack in my trunk when I travel far from home as it can be a challenge to plug a tire while it's on the car, and I have a torque wrench with the right size socket for the lugs in there with it. And buy a few hockey pucks to use as spacers in case you - or a mechanic with no Aston Martin experience - need to jack the car AT THE CORRECT JACKING POINTS WITH WHICH YOU HAVE BECOME INTIMATELY FAMILIAR!
I'd also take a Torx driver set (mine is a multi-size folding kit like a hex key set).
And a 3/8 drive ratchet set with metric sockets (for access to things like the cabin fuse hatch).
And a plastic pry tool.
And a set of fuses, electrical tape, pliers, and both flat-blade and Philips screwdrivers.
I also went overboard and ran a battery connection to the front of the grille so that I could connect my CTEK tender in the unlikely case that I experience a dead battery and can't open the doors or trunk (some people have had that happen).
Nothing will go wrong, but having the right supplies works like carrying an umbrella will ensure that it won't rain!

Last edited by zuman; 11-23-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Flash Drive

If you have it, put the Service Manual(s) on a flash drive.
That way, if you have trouble along the way (unlikely) far from an Aston dealer, a competent mechanic most likely can help you out!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.