Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Little imperfections...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:01 PM
klmc is on a distinguished road
Little imperfections...

First of all I have some annoying sounds coming from the roof lining in the rear when driving over any little bump on the road, it is not really loud but very annoying. When I press the area I can replicate the sound - anyone with advise on dealing with it?

Picture attached (this is not my interior) - I can take actual pictures is it helps, but there is nothing to see.

Secondly, on the pillar in the drivers side I have a pretty poor finishing - it is just not straight. I have seen this on other car as well - again the picture is not from my car but it is the same issue.

Any easy fixes?

Finally there is a little squeaky sound when lowering the window on the drivers side (not when raising it for some reason)

I have of course reported this to the dealer as the car is brand new and they said they will replace it (in 2-3 months?) - but I am not too keen on them taking the car apart if there is an easy solution.

Am I being too picky? Any advice is welcomed.

Last edited by klmc; 12-17-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:14 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
You are not being too picky

Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Squeaks and rattles are very annoying.
The imperfection on the interior trim of the A pillar may be difficult to repair without causing damage.
When the windshield on my Vantage was replaced due to a tiny scratch a few indentations on my right interior A pillar were incurred. I have opted to leave it as is.
Just an opinion.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Yes I also worry about it getting worse if the try to fix it. They said they will replace the whole A pillar part - but it looks like one large piece - any thoughts on how successful such replacements usually are?

Old 12-18-2016, 05:48 AM
It seems to me that the headliner and A pillar trim is one piece. Is it worth the risk to replace the whole covering?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:50 AM
probably not :-(

I suppose the window squeak can be resolved easily - will try to have them look at the rattles from the roof lining

Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Just took a good look at the interior of my Vantage.
The trim covering the A pillars and rails does seem to be separate from the headliner.
I still would recommend to let it be

Old 12-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Thanks - I think you are right, will try to live with it :-)

Old 12-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I'd definitely be bothered by the squeaks and rattles, so I don't think you're being unreasonable about that.

The 2-3 month time frame is because they don't typically keep these parts in stock - they're made to order and take 4-6 weeks to deliver. Add in shipping time and the dealership setting the time aside to get the job done, and I'd think 2 months is in line with things.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:56 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Having taken those trims off before on the V8 (its the same for the DB9, which means it must be similar for the Vanquish as well), I can tell you that:

Pic #1: where the 2 arrows are pointed there is a bracket attached to the trim, and that trim is either held down by a clip or a screw. There is always extra play in the trim because the trim is plastic and deforms in areas not directly behind the bracket.

Pic #2: the A pillar trim is plastic as well and is one continuous trim from the dash to the piece on pic #1. It is only held down by slotting into the dash and the brackets mentioned above. The deformity in your picture can be either due to heat or its a defect, there is nothing in that area holding that trim in place, so nothing came lose behind it etc

The only risk to replacing those pieces is the dash leather panels need to come out, and when you get the car back press down on all the panels to make sure there is no play. Its easy to break the clips on those panels and now you have more squeak and rattles

Old 12-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Thanks for you insight - so pic #1 - it sounds like there might be a screw missing or something - I can press it and it moves (making the rattle sound) - on the other side it is totally solid. So perhaps it can be fixed without too mushy hassle?

I am not keep on the dash having to come out!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:38 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
For pic#1, if its just a broken clip then it can be repaired with a partial disassembly so the dash doesn't come out. The piece is taken out from the rear window first and its flexible.

To repair pic#2 you need a new piece. Or the old piece has to come out, and need to heat up the plastic to shape it. Not sure if the alcantara will get damaged from heating up the plastic or not.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:51 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
On my brand new Vantage I also noticed the A pillar issue, and there is also waviness along the rubber trim around the top of the door window. The piece of trim between the side mirror and fender isn't exactly straight or very secure either

There are a bunch of other imperfections..

Old 12-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by rohnin
On my brand new Vantage I also noticed the A pillar issue, and there is also waviness along the rubber trim around the top of the door window. The piece of trim between the side mirror and fender isn't exactly straight or very secure either

There are a bunch of other imperfections..
That is handmade cars for you...

Last edited by klmc; 12-19-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Seems it is part of the package unfortunately - go to 7m 55sec

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.