Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Pre-Owned V8V Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Pre-Owned V8V Questions

Hello Everyone -- first post from a new member here.

I am looking at getting into a 2009 V8V sometime soon and have some basic questions. I have been doing a ton of research online, bought "the book" and already read the relevant sections on the V8V but some things are still not clear to me.

First, how many crystal keys does the car with when new? I assume two but the book didn't say. I could have missed it too -- I got the book the other night and immediately started going through it. But I was excited and probably missed some details (I'm going back through it tonight).

Second, Does the V8V come with a valet key in addition to the "emotional control unit"?

Third, did AM sell the 10-spoke Sport Pack wheels separately or was the only way to obtain them by ordering the Sport Pack on the car?

Fourth, I am looking at a Roadster with the SportShift. From what I read, ASM I is a bit finicky, but was improved in the 2009 due to software revisions. Does anyone here have any first-hand experience or comments about the first gen SportShift? The comments in the book seemed pretty critical the system and of course, said ASM II was better. There seem to be some red flags regarding the clutch depending on how the car was driven. On a used car, it seems you're just rolling the dice with it because it's impossible to really know how the clutch was treated -- even if you have service history.

Lastly -- am I correct that if I buy a used V8V which does not have complete service history, and the car passes the 144 point AM inspection done by an AM dealer, that the car is then eligible for an AM factory warranty? Or is expecting a pre-owned car to pass that inspection a completely unrealistic expectation? I ask this because every single used V8V on my AM dealer's lot was being sold without a warranty -- which seemed unusual for a high end car being sold at an AM dealer.

I've found tons of great info here on the forum and would appreciate any comments from current owners or previous owners.

Thanks!

Randy

Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
The 10-spoke wheels are available separately, and I can get them for you if you're interested!

The ASMI transmission is generally comparable to BMW's SMG transmission. Some people don't mind it, some people hate it. The ASMII is a good transmission - various improvements over the ASMI. I've driven this one and thought it was just fine. I still prefer a manual, but I didn't have any issues with that transmission when I test drove a V8VS. The best way to tell the difference is going to be to drive both yourself and compare them. Yes, the ASMII is a better transmission setup, but the difference to you as a driver is subjective.

The dealership can check the clutch wear on the ASM cars, so that can help alleviate some of your clutch life concerns, but there's no way to verify how 'nicely' the car was driven by the previous owner(s).

I can't remember if the cars come with two crystal keys or just one, but there's a plastic key that acts as a valet key so you don't have to risk someone damaging the obscenely expensive crystal ones.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
My V8V came with one crystal key, one plastic valet key. A second crystal key is an option at the time of purchase, though (for a cost, of course).

If the car passes the inspection (or if you complete the repairs they deem necessary), the car qualifies for the warranty. As for the likelihood of a car passing the inspection without issue, I don't know. I'd bet the used ones at AM dealerships would qualify, but they don't include it as part of the cost of the car (it's about $4k/year and I'd bet they'll be happy to add that to the invoice at the time of purchase). I'd negotiate this point.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I got one crystal key, two plastic keys and a metal key.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
^ That's an important point. Make sure the door key is included. There is no centralized database of key codes, so it's the delivering dealership's responsibility to track the code and sometimes that doesn't happen (first hand experience, here). Consequently, if your battery dies and you're without the door key, you have to get under the car and jump it to be able to unlock the doors.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
My 2011 V12V came with 2 crystal keys, 2 plastic keys, and 1 metal key. The window sticker had an additional charge of $750 listed under "Optional Equipment" for the secondary glass ECU.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
One Crystal, one plastic valet and key for the door is standard.

Mine came with two plastic valet keys since the PO ordered an additional.

About the CPO warranty, my car passed the 144 point check without any issue but the 2016 annual service was not done at this point. (I did the PPI in April, PO always did the annual service every year in June)
In order to get the warranty, the PO did the last service on his dime for me.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:04 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
in case you were wondering, I asked the local dealer how much new keys were (not sure if these include tax on the part)

crystal - $1200 + $169 labor
plastic - $650 + $169 labor
metal key - $200

they also offered a crystal key repair kit for $700... lol I think i'll live with the tiny chip in one of the corners

my plastic key is in pretty sad shape and mine didn't come with the metal key, so I had to ask

Old 01-10-2017, 10:24 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
One Crystal, One Plastic and One metal valet key.

I ordered a second crystal key, and that comes with a second plastic key.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zettinger
One Crystal, one plastic valet and key for the door is standard.

Mine came with two plastic valet keys since the PO ordered an additional.

About the CPO warranty, my car passed the 144 point check without any issue but the 2016 annual service was not done at this point. (I did the PPI in April, PO always did the annual service every year in June)
In order to get the warranty, the PO did the last service on his dime for me.
My 2016 GT came with one crystal and one plastics valet key, plus the Metal door key. As for the CPO warranty. I previously owned a 2007 Vantage I bought used in 2014 the car must be no older than 10 years to receive the CPO warranty from an Aston Martin dealer. I would not purchase a used Vantage without the CPO warranty. Make it part of the deal, I did.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 01-10-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Bought my 14' new.
Had the $750 optional second glass key
Therefore:
Two crystal keys
Two black plastic keys
One metal key

Old 01-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by sonies
they also offered a crystal key repair kit for $700... lol I think i'll live with the tiny chip in one of the corners
If you have a jeweler, show them the crystal key and ask if they can fill it in with resin and polish it (let them know it's Sapphire).

As you're in Chicagoland, I can refer you to a jeweler in the south suburbs who I know can do that work (he did my key), if you'd like. Would be less than $50, I think.

Has to be an actual jeweler (and note that the big chains usually outsource that kind of work--they don't keep jewelers on hand).

Last edited by Mathman85; 01-11-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the info everyone.

I didn't even think about there being a metal key for the door. Makes perfect sense.

Also - thanks to everyone for the info on the warranty. I guess that's one where I will have to see what happens if/when I get the car. Lacking an AM dealer near the car I am looking at, it's all down to how good of a PPI I can do or get done.

Rich - thanks for the comments on the ASM I. I haven't driven one yet but my local AM dealer has both ASMI and ASMII cars on the lot. My other cars are all manuals right now and I thought about going the manual route with the V8V. However, this car is going to be more of a cruiser than a track car for me so the SportShift seemed like a good option. Guess I'm getting older.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RandyV
Thanks for the info everyone.

I didn't even think about there being a metal key for the door. Makes perfect sense.

Also - thanks to everyone for the info on the warranty. I guess that's one where I will have to see what happens if/when I get the car. Lacking an AM dealer near the car I am looking at, it's all down to how good of a PPI I can do or get done.

Rich - thanks for the comments on the ASM I. I haven't driven one yet but my local AM dealer has both ASMI and ASMII cars on the lot. My other cars are all manuals right now and I thought about going the manual route with the V8V. However, this car is going to be more of a cruiser than a track car for me so the SportShift seemed like a good option. Guess I'm getting older.
I would strongly suggest that you test drive a manual Vantage as well. If your other cars are manuals, then I would say a stick is the much better choice for you. Although I have never driven in ASM I or II I have owned a 2007 and a 2016 manual transmission Vantage and can only say it's a very rewarding car to drive with that set up. I will say the 2016 manual transmission and clutch are much easier, with less effort required to use than the 2007 that I owned.
Ron

Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mathman85
If you have a jeweler, show them the crystal key and ask if they can fill it in with resin and polish it.

As you're in Chicagoland, I can refer you to a jeweler in the south suburbs who I know can do that work (he did my key), if you'd like. Would be less than $50, I think.

Has to be an actual jeweler (and note that the big chains usually outsource that kind of work--they don't keep jewelers on hand).
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to hit up someone in the city, as I don't make it to the south suburbs often, I'm a couple blocks from jewlers row I'm sure I can find someone!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.