Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sport shift to manua 6 speed conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 PM
akshon is on a distinguished road
Sport shift to manual 6 speed conversion

Any one done this? E46 m3 smg is relatively simple to convert. Wonder if this has been done? Asides from the obvious like shifter, center console, waterfall, clutch pedal what else might be needed?

My 09 vantage is quite heavily modded so taking off all that and installing it on a 6 speedvantage will also be quite costly.

Last edited by akshon; 05-22-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
It has been a dream of mine to perform the conversion... if someone is willing to pay for the parts, I'm more than capable of performing the job.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:32 AM
What mechanical parts do you think are needed?
Do you think clutch needs to be changed? I just replaced with a twin plate clutch.

Approximate labour hours?

I am pretty serious about this since this car has sentimental value.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I really don't think this would be cost effective.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by akshon
What mechanical parts do you think are needed?
Do you think clutch needs to be changed? I just replaced with a twin plate clutch.

Approximate labour hours?

I am pretty serious about this since this car has sentimental value.
Honestly I don't think it would be as bad as you think

Waterfall
Linkage
Shifter
Center console

probably the removal of some parts on the sport shift

some reprogramming costs?

I don't think you would need a new transmission

Probably wouldn't cost as much as you think

Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
Would require some custom fabrication... while the transmission is the same, the couplers on the shift rods are smaller, since the ASM actuator is capable of more precise shifts than a human. Also, the shift assembly on the transmission would be the most costly part of the system; being it is over $6k by itself. I would love to have someone lend me their car as a mule so a kit could be reverse engineered. Even a $10k conversion would be competitive with a $15k ASM repair.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You'll need an extra pedal

Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Timodc
Would require some custom fabrication... while the transmission is the same, the couplers on the shift rods are smaller, since the ASM actuator is capable of more precise shifts than a human. Also, the shift assembly on the transmission would be the most costly part of the system; being it is over $6k by itself. I would love to have someone lend me their car as a mule so a kit could be reverse engineered. Even a $10k conversion would be competitive with a $15k ASM repair.
Roughly how much in parts and how many labour house do you think?

Is there any market for th asm parts that came off the car to sell as a used part?
Hoping reselling should me parts may bring down the cost of conversion.

Would installing a quicker steering rack during this conversion save any labor?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I think someone on PH converted a 2006 Vanquish S did the conversion to his car, you might want to talk to him... Here are the details

6.0 - Manual Conversion - Mercury grey, black and grey interior, quilted headlining 2006 Vanquish/S - davedocsw7

Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Original Vanquish conversions were done by the factory... to the tune of about $28k. I suspect the initial cost of a Vantage manual conversion would be about $10k in parts and 15-20 hours of labor. I imagine the pre-owned ASM parts would fetch a few thousand or more on eBay.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Timodc...hi..what are going to do about the auto-shift module? It controls the engine and even tells the brakes to activate when needed to keep control of the car ...it is the brains in an auto-shift.
after the conversion if this car is sold any owner that runs the vin will see modified...no dealer would touch this car.

Like many that modify non factory it is ok if keeping the car but when resale time lucky to unload to a non AM person if lucky...just some thoughts...

Good luck...but I am missing how this is cost effective now or when the car has issues who will fix...as there will always be the saying of problem created when converted...just buy a stick car...I think if you want a stick...tons of AM stick cars on the market...

​​​​​​

Old 05-20-2017, 06:32 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't say tons of stick on the market but there are tons of ASM on the market and maybe 1 out of 10 a stick. I tend to agree with Aldv, find a good stick and move your mods to it and put the OEM stuff back on the ASM and sell it.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Depending on which website you would check..around 35-40 percent are stick vantages...the higher you go up the line on AM there are probably more automatics I would bet...as those that buy them want true Automatics not auto shift manual type...I checked prior to posting this as you made me wonder....

I checked Vantage only as this thread was discussing vantage...evening

Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
How about converting to a sequential gearbox? I believe There's is a company in the U.K. That converts manual gearboxes to sequencing shifting.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 AM
Started purchasing conversion parts.

So far...

Shift ****
Shifter surround
Manual center console
Manual waterfall

Around 1k for parts so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.