Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Skywagon's 2007 V8 Vantage Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Great work on the Paint Correction and the process. Due to our conversations, I am happy to hear your going with AMMONYC for the final protectant. If anyone else is interested in the process and wants to purchase supplies in order to work on their own car, please PM me, I am happy to help guide through the process and what you should buy, and what you shouldn't buy. Then you will know what to go out and buy and will save you money both in the short term and long term. Even basic washings should take certain products or a process to keep what you have as perfect as possible.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:01 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by skywagon

The wheels should be arriving either later this week or early next week. The specs are: 20x9 ET42 for the fronts and 20x9 ET51 for the rears. I already have a set of tires sitting here for them: 255/35ZR20 for the front and 305/30ZR20 for the rear. I went with the new Michelin PS4's.
Great build and love the wheel choice! I'm guessing this was a typo and the rears will be 20x11?

Last edited by FR500GT; 08-10-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FR500GT
Great build and love the wheel choice! I'm guessing this was a typo and the rears will be 20x11?
Thanks! And yes, that was a typo on my part. It is now corrected. They are 11" wide rears.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:25 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
A milestone in the project was reached this weekend. I received the DMTL assembly late last week and installed it along with the fender liner.

The top one is the new one from the V8S/V12.

The new DMTL assembly installed in the left rear fender well.

New fender liner installed.

I also installed the Scrape Armor kit to the front end of the car. My camera was dead so I did not get a photo of it. That install is rather straight forward but a little unnerving. They say to drill and run 6 self tapping screws into the splitter. They provided a centering drill bit that made that part easy but it makes me nervous drilling carbon fiber. It is underneath and they drill very easily. After the first hole I saw no issue and kept going. I also feel they add stiffness to the splitter, especially with the black RTV.

I also received the HRE wheels on Friday. I test fit one on the car. I will be getting the tires mounted later this week. I am going to unplug the TPMS system as I decided not to transfer the sensors from my current sport pack wheels. I check tire pressures as part of my "pre-flight" checks already. I drive this car every 2 weeks or so; it is far from a daily driver. I am waiting on a set of lugs from Tikore to arrive so the wheels will not be installed till then.

The car will be going for paint protection film install next week. I will be going over it one last time for any last minor paint corrections before that. I will also reinstall the audio components that had to come out during this process. The subwoofer enclosure sits in front of the left rear taillight and has to come out to access that hardware. This phase is getting close to done thankfully as I have missed driving it for the past 3 months. I will enjoy it for a month or so then it will come down for the second phase, the V12 clutch set-up and a few other things. I might wait till Black Friday and see if Stuart runs another sale this year. Might as well swap the headers and catalytic converters while I have it all apart.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:48 AM
The car is complete with the first phase of this build. Paint protection film was installed yesterday and I installed the new wheels/tires. I went with Suntek's Ultra film as it has the least orange peel texture of any of the films I looked at. I went through a significant amount of work to remove texture that I did not want to add much back at all. They wrapped the entire nose, the rockers, mirrors, and rear bumper. There are no seams. They installed a piece on the rear quarters, similar to the factory pieces, and are going to remake another idea they have. They are trying to hide those lines as well.

The wheels are HRE P43SC's in a now offered dark clear over a fully polished finish. They are cut to accept factory center caps. I ordered a set of titanium, all security featured, lug nuts from Tikore to use with these wheels. The lug wells are tight with the original lugs and I would have to use a thin wall socket carefully. Now I can use a 19mm socket with the security adapter. The machining is very well done. The adapter is a very secure fit onto the lug nuts. Charlie at Tikore is great to deal with as well.

Here are some quick photos. I will be taking it out for a formal photo shoot soon.

I am undecided on the wheel center caps. I might wait and locate a set of the carbon fiber ones. I am also debating spraying these with a tinted clear to see if I can get them to match the wheels better. They are kind of growing on me as is though. The wheels compliment the body color and the centers go with the trim on the car. I will change them up and see.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:34 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Very well done, the car looks amazing.... Was Expel one of the film that you had a look at?? As I was considering it but might opt for something else that would show less orange peel.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Very well done, the car looks amazing.... Was Expel one of the film that you had a look at?? As I was considering it but might opt for something else that would show less orange peel.
Thanks!

And yes, I had looked at Xpel. The installer I used had test panels on a paint leveled surface that was perfectly smooth. It was easy to see the reflective differences and the orange peel the material adds. The installer even mentioned that Xpel is not as consistent from batch to batch vs Suntek.

Talk with your installer of choice and see what their opinion is. The 3 I talked to all said a similar thing and recommended the Suntek. I specifically chose installers that offered both Xpel and Suntek to be consistent in my questions and selection between the offerings.

I have the Xpel self healing film on my Audi and it has an orange peel texture that best matches the factory finish on the uncovered panels.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Your car looks amazing! Great job on this phase of your build.
Ron

Old 08-26-2017, 10:28 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
I like it.

Regards,

Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Rwp137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:47 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
A stunning car! Great build.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:51 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by skywagon
The car is complete with the first phase of this build. Paint protection film was installed yesterday and I installed the new wheels/tires. I went with Suntek's Ultra film as it has the least orange peel texture of any of the films I looked at. I went through a significant amount of work to remove texture that I did not want to add much back at all. They wrapped the entire nose, the rockers, mirrors, and rear bumper. There are no seams. They installed a piece on the rear quarters, similar to the factory pieces, and are going to remake another idea they have. They are trying to hide those lines as well.

The wheels are HRE P43SC's in a now offered dark clear over a fully polished finish. They are cut to accept factory center caps. I ordered a set of titanium, all security featured, lug nuts from Tikore to use with these wheels. The lug wells are tight with the original lugs and I would have to use a thin wall socket carefully. Now I can use a 19mm socket with the security adapter. The machining is very well done. The adapter is a very secure fit onto the lug nuts. Charlie at Tikore is great to deal with as well.

Here are some quick photos. I will be taking it out for a formal photo shoot soon.

I am undecided on the wheel center caps. I might wait and locate a set of the carbon fiber ones. I am also debating spraying these with a tinted clear to see if I can get them to match the wheels better. They are kind of growing on me as is though. The wheels compliment the body color and the centers go with the trim on the car. I will change them up and see.
I have dark clear brushed P101's on my Tungsten. After much debate I moved forward with the CF caps and am very pleased. Ties in the carbon diffuser and the carbon splitter very nicely. Here are some pictures in case you are interested in what it may look like on your car.

Attached Images    
Old 08-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks all for the kind words. This has been a lengthy process and over 200 hours of effort on my part (I kept a log just out of curiosity).

DetomasoGTS74. thanks for the photos with your brushed dark clear wheels. These wheels were cut to accept the factory wheel centers so I am considering the AM carbon ones. I was thinking just like you, that they help tie in the carbon front splitter and rear diffuser. I thought about the carbon fiber side vent blade but I like for that to match the window trim. I do like polished trim and I actually ordered it as an upgrade on my Audi daily driver.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:33 AM
bunob is on a distinguished road
Nice !
Why did you replace the DMTL ?
Why didn't you install the original one ?

Old 02-15-2022, 05:01 PM
Tom_Boy will become famous soon enough
Wow. Just ran across this thread. Stunning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.