Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2014 Range Rover Sport or Mercedes S550 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 04:49 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
2014 Range Rover Sport or Mercedes S550 4matic

Hey guys,

I know a few of you have RR's and likely you guys have driven big Merc's. Give you my past car history---

Owned 2x E Class E63 AMGs, Maseratti Quatroporte, 2x Reg E Class, Suburban (DD), and driven 2016 RR Sport tD6 and loved it.

I am partial to the MB line, due to the fantastic reliability that I have personally had with all of mine. Nothing but normal things I could do myself is warranted.

I want luxury so both choices fit the bill. I cannot afford after the money plopped down on the AM DB9 to buy any thing more expensive than the 2014 models. Thats pushing it a bit, but the S550 interior body change was then and it looks so much better, and the RR Sport had the body change then.

I may live in the DC Metro area, Virginia, or Tampa FL. So snow, winter is not a deciding factor due to both being all wheel drive. Quiet, comfortable, classy, and something I can keep till 150k miles or so. That is the thought. Something classy that I can still take a date in for a nice dinner, or just run errands. Dates don't sit in the AM till at least the 4th date. Dont want them confused thinking I will start providing them a monthly allowance.

1. I am wondering reliability on the RR Sport 3-4 years down the road. All I see is people saying expect high maintenance costs. Well so do AMs, but we all know they are reliable and not all that expensive to keep, compared to the common perception.
2. Not worried about the MB at all, but think I want back into a SUV again.

Just wondering the opinion of the members here. I promise to update my Build threads this weekend, pictures are on my phone so need to transfer them in.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 06-30-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:14 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Hey guys,

I know a few of you have RR's and likely you guys have driven big Merc's. Give you my past car history---

Owned 2x E Class E63 AMGs, Maseratti Quatroporte, 2x Reg E Class, Suburban (DD), and driven 2016 RR Sport tD6 and loved it.

I am partial to the MB line, due to the fantastic reliability that I have personally had with all of mine. Nothing but normal things I could do myself is warranted.

I want luxury so both choices fit the bill. I cannot afford after the money plopped down on the AM DB9 to buy any thing more expensive than the 2014 models. Thats pushing it a bit, but the S550 interior body change was then and it looks so much better, and the RR Sport had the body change then.

I may live in the DC Metro area, Virginia, or Tampa FL. So snow, winter is not a deciding factor due to both being all wheel drive. Quiet, comfortable, classy, and something I can keep till 150k miles or so. That is the thought. Something classy that I can still take a date in for a nice dinner, or just run errands. Dates don't sit in the AM till at least the 4th date. Dont want them confused thinking I will start providing them a monthly allowance.

1. I am wondering reliability on the RR Sport 3-4 years down the road. All I see is people saying expect high maintenance costs. Well so do AMs, but we all know they are reliable and not all that expensive to keep, compared to the common perception.

Just wondering the opinion of the members here. I promise to update my Build threads this weekend, pictures are on my phone so need to transfer them in.
Been partial to most German brands but my sister had been in Range Rovers for many years... she loves them and currently has a 2016 RR sport fully loaded... she leases all of them because of concerns about long term reliability... they have gotten much better over the years...FWIW she got the new model RR sport when it came out and the engine failed after 2 months... she had to wait for 4 months to get the right color combo she wanted... sorry can't help on recent longevity.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:21 PM
Teekster is on a distinguished road
Pretty different vehicles. I have had pretty good luck with land rovers for the past 15 years. Currently have a 2015 RRS autobiography and a 2012 LR4 in the fleet. The 5.0 v8 is pretty bulletproof these days.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:27 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Teekster
Pretty different vehicles. I have had pretty good luck with land rovers for the past 15 years. Currently have a 2015 RRS autobiography and a 2012 LR4 in the fleet. The 5.0 v8 is pretty bulletproof these days.
Would you buy a RR Sport 5L passed warranty and no extended warranty?

Yes, since about 2013 and likely a bit before, rumor says LR has got their act together and the cars are pretty reliable. OF course with any higher end car, dealerships maintenance is expensive. Goes with the territory, but we all know most of it can be mitigated if your handy with a spanner.

Yes, vastly different vehicles. Thats is why I cannot make my mind up. Cant get both. I want to try the RR, but don't want breakdowns, and likely wont have any.

Is the Autobiography worth the extra expense in your opinion? How does it really differ from the normal optioned ones? Besides some wheels and upholstery items?

Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Hey guys,

test drive a cayenne turbo, not gonna lie they are frickin sweet, big truck that drives like a grand tourer or sporty sedan in sport mode and a buick in comfort mode, very fast too, surprisingly fast

I owned a land rover before my cayenne (lasted about 85k miles before it started falling apart otherwise I'd still have it) but they are night and day difference, not that the rover was bad, but, the cayenne is on a whole nother level driving wise

Last edited by sonies; 07-01-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Teekster is on a distinguished road
Would you buy a RR Sport 5L passed warranty and no extended warranty?

Yes, since about 2013 and likely a bit before, rumor says LR has got their act together and the cars are pretty reliable. OF course with any higher end car, dealerships maintenance is expensive. Goes with the territory, but we all know most of it can be mitigated if your handy with a spanner.

Yes, vastly different vehicles. Thats is why I cannot make my mind up. Cant get both. I want to try the RR, but don't want breakdowns, and likely wont have any.

Is the Autobiography worth the extra expense in your opinion? How does it really differ from the normal optioned ones? Besides some wheels and upholstery items?
ATB had nicer, better leather as well as some customization options over a dynamic v8 (interior colors). If you are looking at used models, there can't be that significant a difference in price. They are not as common, though.

You can find a CPO which is good for 6 years/100k miles.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Teekster
ATB had nicer, better leather as well as some customization options over a dynamic v8 (interior colors). If you are looking at used models, there can't be that significant a difference in price. They are not as common, though.

You can find a CPO which is good for 6 years/100k miles.
ATB's are 30-40k price diff used. 55k for 2014 RRS Dynamic vs. 2014 ATB 80-90k. Pretty large diff. Even those with 70k miles are still 80k.

Resale value appears to be much better even with miles for the RRS compared to the MB S550.

Also thinking 2011 MB S63 AMG. The 2014 reg S550 speed and power wise is very much the same, just the interior is much much better. So contemplating. Have a few months to decide.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Nice thing about the DC area is everything shuts down if snow is bad enough to 'out-do' the AWD of either vehicle.

You've got a history with M-B cars so that's not a bad way to go. If you don't need the ground clearance or cargo space of the RR, it'd be a safe bet given your experience with them.

RR maintenance will be very similar to AM costs. I chat with people about this a couple times a month, and I've been selling parts to RR guys lately since a lot of AM guys also own them. RR is not too far removed from AM as far as maintenance is concerned. Big issue is the air suspension (also an issue for M-B).

The Cheyenne is also a good choice, and everyone I know with a Macan swears by it and loves them, so that's also not a bad choice if you want to get something more compact than a full-size.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
If it's any help, RR Velar and S63 Coupe are also on my short list

Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
You shouldn't rule out the X5. I've had my X5 diesel for a couple of years and it's been awesome. The torque is amazing.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Hey guys,

Rangie all the way, I have a merc and few others (obviously an Aston) my range rover sport is the dogs bolocks!!!
Forget the Porsche it's suffers from an identity crisis, as for the BMW X5 it's a toy and has no attitude (had a new X5 with twin turbo on test for 3 months it's ****e)
I have just returned from the Kruger Park where we tested the new X5 being launched in October, it's all just soft
The rangie has power it handles the road it goes overeveryfukinthing and it's got attitude

Mine has 28000km and no issues beside the landrover brand has fantastic back up and the finest service I can only compliment the product.

Same brakes as the Aston as well.

Go drive one or even the 4.4 liter diesel is a blast

Old 07-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Captain Greg, I think the X5 has a lot of road attitude:

Old 07-06-2017, 11:49 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
Captain Greg, I think the X5 has a lot of road attitude:

Yep it's hard when parents with autoustic children compare there kids with the likes of Taylor Swift or Justin Beeber

Sorry no offence meant, my comments are based on actual testing, the X series does not cut it, as I say I was given a new X5 Twin turbo M for a few months, it lacks power and acceleration, it's heavy and has ground clearance issues in off road conditions.
I recently drove (while on the film shoot in the Kruger Park) the new 2018 X5 ..it's typical BMW, well finished but again it's not a RR. You guys will see it in October.
Sorry bud just my opinion shared by many of the jernos on the trip, handing back the X 5 (and getting a new x 4) I'm even more disappointed, keep bumping my friken head when I get in, I am not biased or slanted toward Land Rover, but I have been privleaged to drive some of the best vehicles.
BMW purists will love its plush interior, its mediocre satnav, we cannot talk a BMW enthusiast out of it, but with respect when your at the lights in an X anything and the boy in the car next to you is in a Range Rover sport just wave and be polite....it will kick your ***, along with most other road going sports cars

Besides BMW like Audi's are boring just my opinion....... google my write up on the new BMW GS I did not mince my words.
Cars and bikes must have personalities sadly German vehicles in my opinion lack thus X factor

I think MB South Africa won't let me test there new range either because I have commented that I think ther new cars are simply ugly....
so would you buy a FIAT multipla? Nor would I ...... in fact I'm certain and person who drives one must have won it

Old 07-06-2017, 11:53 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Forget the Porsche it's suffers from an identity crisis

The Porsche does everything extremely well, Unless you plan on doing rock climbing in your vehicle, I don't see how the range is a better driver, range does win in the looks department, but even still the cayenne looks way better than it used to and is a fantastic driving vehicle with an outstanding interior to match

Old 07-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by sonies
The Porsche does everything extremely well, Unless you plan on doing rock climbing in your vehicle, I don't see how the range is a better driver, range does win in the looks department, but even still the cayenne looks way better than it used to and is a fantastic driving vehicle with an outstanding interior to match
The fact that it's a Porsche is already contradiction IMO, besides they are at home in shopping mall parking lots, normally driven by recently impregnated women, fitted with baby chairs, ..... not the things we associate with Porsche?
When I think Porsche I think 993, I think 911, I think Billy Idol, get out my dreams and into my car......and then bend over it......am I making my point

Guys cars need to seduce, they need to perform, they need to break knicker elastic at 50 yards, the X5 and the Porsche k could never do it

Now a RR sport black with black wheels and dark windows......it screams attitude, add in the fact it has superb road holding along with the ability to out run the plod because it can actually go over pavements and deal with serous off road conditions speaks volumes.
Can you recall the video with Clarckson in the RR on the inside of a track in the mud with a new 911 on the tar and it embarrassed the 911 on the circuit

But look we all have opinions, thank god because if it were up to me the world would only have blonde bimbos with no morals and great assets perminatly dressed like cheerleaders, so don't take me serious

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 Range Rover Sport or Mercedes S550 4matic