Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Finally got an Aston!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:02 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Decided to go with Velocity AP tune, secondary cat deletes, and their supersport muffler. Stuart is a great guy to work with and the prices are solid. Looking forward to the mods!

Old 10-06-2017, 03:08 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I've had the Velocity AP supersport muffler, secondary cat deletes, and tune on for awhile now and am extremely happy with them. Some thoughts:

1. I installed the cat deletes and muffler myself, but mostly with the help of my mechanic friend and his 4point lift at work. There was zero chance this was getting done on jackstands alone, not to mention probably not very safe even with precautions. I've done exhausts on my 966tt and our Jaguar XFR and they were a piece of cake to this. It required taking off the rear diffuser plate and lots of other pieces in order to get space to pull the oem sport muffler out, and even the cats were a pain with the upper built in bolts needing to be hammered out and then trying to get access to use/tighten the provided top cat to header bolts. Overall took nearly 4 hours with a trained mechanic.

2. The results with the exhaust are fantastic! I absolutely love the sound and the built in X pipe in the muffler really changes the note to something smooth and european/exotic sounding, and further away from the muscle car burble our Jag XFR makes with a Spires exhaust. I don't think the secondary cat delete (this MY has 200c still in headers as primary) and supersport muffler are too loud at all, far from obnoxious but it very much has presence and people will hear it starting and driving by and look. For comparison, the OEM Sport muffler started up with a similar initial growl but was very quite on idle and driving revs below 3.5k (even with fuse 15 pulled); it was quiter overall than our XFR with Spires mufflers. With the mods, startup is a little louder, idle is noticeably louder, and easy takeoff and lower revs have dramatically more presence. The result just makes the car feel more special, even when not driving aggressively. There is no drone or any drawbacks at all. I suppose some could find it too loud, but you can certainly talk over it in the cabin, especially if keeping a higher gear, and all the noises are fantastic! Sound is such an important factor in the overall driving experience for me; I'm very pleased with it.

3. I did not notice a difference in power with just the exhaust. Maybe, but I don't think so. The tune is a different story. I had them copy the Sport mode throttle maps to normal driving mode (so I didn't have to always feel like I had to hit the button every time I started the car, the car just feels lazy in normal mode otherwise) and then further tuned the throttle response in the Sport mode. I left the damper and steering settings alone otherwise. Normal mode now feels like a stronger version of the prior Sport mode (more power but same sport mode throttle response feel), and hitting the Sport mode makes it feel like what I imagine close to what the V12 feels like. Response is very sharp and the car will light up traction control the entire way through first gear and feels "frenzied and ready" at all times. The tune very noticeably woke up the driving experience, and even changed the exhaust note a little (again sounds more frenzied/angry) and I'm very happy I did it even though I didn't initially think I needed more power. I also had the timing adjusted so that when letting off throttle above 4600 rpm (well really between 4600 and 5800 it seems in reality) the car will aggressively do pops and crackles much like the F type Jag does. You can change the rpm this happens at wider than I have; I'm won't necessarly use it much (ie let off throttle entirely above 4600 rpm), but the pops and crackles are a cool novelty to show off to someone occasionally. Finally, there is a seperate file that bumps the idle rpm from ~750 to ~950 to be ready for when I put in a a dual plate clutch (only have 6.2k miles so away from needing that). I haven't loaded that tune yet but want to see how it sounds at idle with the 950rpm idle (which might also help the stall off idle issue these Vantages have and has happened to me once before shifting to neutral at ~50mph to a stop light). I like the sound, especially with an aftermarket exhaust of a higher idle --- my 360 with tubi and cat deletes has nearly a 1200rpm idle IIRC and sounds fantastic just sitting there.

So, other than the installation being a PITA or expensive at the dealer/indy (and the muffler to midpipe bolts were missing with the exhaust so we have to fabricate some in the shop to work), I am very pleased with these mods. The only other complaint is that somehow I'm getting a P0161 CEL -- which is the passenger side (bank 2) downstream (sensor 2) O2 sensor's heating circuit. This should NOT happen as the O2 sensors are in the headers and upstream from the secondary cat deletes, so either the wire is loose/damaged, or the O2 sensor itself somehow got damaged when we did the exhaust. Still need to diagnose/fix this issue, as apparantly it's not wise to use the tune to ignore the O2 sensor's heating circuit which could result in the car running too rich or lean when started up and cold (?).

I'll include the obligatory startup video, but frankly it doesn't do much justice with a iphone mic and revs under 4k here; the real fun is when driving and I don't have a video of that yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSau...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by MikeR397; 10-06-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds great!

Old 10-06-2017, 05:00 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
It does.

I was in the shop a couple weeks ago when Steve started another 2010 sitting next to mine, and my nipples got perky. It was definitely not the stock exhaust like mine, and not over the top. But very sporty. I was jealous.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Nice sound!
Ron

Old 11-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MikeR397
I've had the Velocity AP supersport muffler, secondary cat deletes, and tune on for awhile now and am extremely happy with them. Some thoughts:

1. I installed the cat deletes and muffler myself, but mostly with the help of my mechanic friend and his 4point lift at work. There was zero chance this was getting done on jackstands alone, not to mention probably not very safe even with precautions. I've done exhausts on my 966tt and our Jaguar XFR and they were a piece of cake to this. It required taking off the rear diffuser plate and lots of other pieces in order to get space to pull the oem sport muffler out, and even the cats were a pain with the upper built in bolts needing to be hammered out and then trying to get access to use/tighten the provided top cat to header bolts. Overall took nearly 4 hours with a trained mechanic.

2. The results with the exhaust are fantastic! I absolutely love the sound and the built in X pipe in the muffler really changes the note to something smooth and european/exotic sounding, and further away from the muscle car burble our Jag XFR makes with a Spires exhaust. I don't think the secondary cat delete (this MY has 200c still in headers as primary) and supersport muffler are too loud at all, far from obnoxious but it very much has presence and people will hear it starting and driving by and look. For comparison, the OEM Sport muffler started up with a similar initial growl but was very quite on idle and driving revs below 3.5k (even with fuse 15 pulled); it was quiter overall than our XFR with Spires mufflers. With the mods, startup is a little louder, idle is noticeably louder, and easy takeoff and lower revs have dramatically more presence. The result just makes the car feel more special, even when not driving aggressively. There is no drone or any drawbacks at all. I suppose some could find it too loud, but you can certainly talk over it in the cabin, especially if keeping a higher gear, and all the noises are fantastic! Sound is such an important factor in the overall driving experience for me; I'm very pleased with it.

3. I did not notice a difference in power with just the exhaust. Maybe, but I don't think so. The tune is a different story. I had them copy the Sport mode throttle maps to normal driving mode (so I didn't have to always feel like I had to hit the button every time I started the car, the car just feels lazy in normal mode otherwise) and then further tuned the throttle response in the Sport mode. I left the damper and steering settings alone otherwise. Normal mode now feels like a stronger version of the prior Sport mode (more power but same sport mode throttle response feel), and hitting the Sport mode makes it feel like what I imagine close to what the V12 feels like. Response is very sharp and the car will light up traction control the entire way through first gear and feels "frenzied and ready" at all times. The tune very noticeably woke up the driving experience, and even changed the exhaust note a little (again sounds more frenzied/angry) and I'm very happy I did it even though I didn't initially think I needed more power. I also had the timing adjusted so that when letting off throttle above 4600 rpm (well really between 4600 and 5800 it seems in reality) the car will aggressively do pops and crackles much like the F type Jag does. You can change the rpm this happens at wider than I have; I'm won't necessarly use it much (ie let off throttle entirely above 4600 rpm), but the pops and crackles are a cool novelty to show off to someone occasionally. Finally, there is a seperate file that bumps the idle rpm from ~750 to ~950 to be ready for when I put in a a dual plate clutch (only have 6.2k miles so away from needing that). I haven't loaded that tune yet but want to see how it sounds at idle with the 950rpm idle (which might also help the stall off idle issue these Vantages have and has happened to me once before shifting to neutral at ~50mph to a stop light). I like the sound, especially with an aftermarket exhaust of a higher idle --- my 360 with tubi and cat deletes has nearly a 1200rpm idle IIRC and sounds fantastic just sitting there.

So, other than the installation being a PITA or expensive at the dealer/indy (and the muffler to midpipe bolts were missing with the exhaust so we have to fabricate some in the shop to work), I am very pleased with these mods. The only other complaint is that somehow I'm getting a P0161 CEL -- which is the passenger side (bank 2) downstream (sensor 2) O2 sensor's heating circuit. This should NOT happen as the O2 sensors are in the headers and upstream from the secondary cat deletes, so either the wire is loose/damaged, or the O2 sensor itself somehow got damaged when we did the exhaust. Still need to diagnose/fix this issue, as apparantly it's not wise to use the tune to ignore the O2 sensor's heating circuit which could result in the car running too rich or lean when started up and cold (?).

I'll include the obligatory startup video, but frankly it doesn't do much justice with a iphone mic and revs under 4k here; the real fun is when driving and I don't have a video of that yet.

Any interest in selling your sport muffler?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeR397

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lve2xlr8
Any interest in selling your sport muffler?
Yes, it's for sale, see my ad here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-exhaust.html

PM me or reply here with any questions.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I almost bought that car, you beat me to it. Looks great. Go for the VAP decats. Keeps the sound the same, but with more of it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.