Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Retractable front plate now on my Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Very cool! I'm sure glad that Wisconsin and Illinois don't really bother you regarding the lack of a front plate.. But this is definitely the solution! Very trick.. Nice job!
Me too, I wouldn't have wanted any holes in my front bumper!!!!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:35 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I think it's cool but I'd never put one on my car.

I look at it this way, besides the fact there's no way I'd put a plate on the front, I'm not going to get pulled over for not having a front plate. I'm going to get pulled over for doing 86 in a 65, and if they happen to notice the missing plate, it gives them an alternate ticket to write and quite possibly they won't write the speeding. You'd be amazed how many time I've gotten seat belt tickets but not the speeding.

I was coming back from Baltimore on I95 2 weeks ago, in the Express lanes, I see the motorcycle cop under an overpass, and I see him start to pull the bike up off the kickstand. I knew I was going too fast so after I went by and saw him pull out I pulled right over and as close to the concrete barrier as I felt comfortable without scratching the mirror. "License and registration, not the insurance please", I hand it to him and ask "How fast was I going?" - "86 in a 65" - "Ouch, but, yea, that's about right, I don't even feel it in this thing. This is the first time I've been pulled over in this car, and I've had it almost a year!"

He goes back to the bike, and it's longer than usual but finally comes walking back and as he hands me the paper - "This is a warning [as my eyes light up in disbelief], this is the express lane, not the Autobahn" - "You're a prince, I can't thank you enough sir, and I will keep it down, I promise!" - "You pulled right over and didn't give me any BS" [the worst thing you can say is "I wasn't speeding!] then "We don't get many Astons around here. You get this in Newport Beach?" [original dealer plate surround] - "Why no, that's where James Bond got the car" and I opened the door so he could see the signed sill plates - "Oh I've got to get a picture of that!" as he produces his phone already on camera in a split second. - "You don't have any machine guns in there I should know about?" - "Why no officer, none that I can tell you about!" as I wink. He walked away laughing.

30 miles down the road, just driving with the flow of traffic now, I've learned my lesson, today, but out of nowhere [because I'm very aware of all my surroundings when driving and this was out of nowhere] I've got a black Explorer filling my rear view. Is that an unmarked??? Sure looks like an unmarked, as he creeps closer and closer, now he's flat on my bumper! Just as fast, brakes hard, pulls left and into one of the big U Turn spots, and yes, the most plain Jane unmarked Explorer I've ever seen!

My bet, the first cop got on the radio and said "I just pulled over James Bonds Aston, he's heading North on 95", and another tracked me down just to have a look!

Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 PM
nickplee is an unknown quantity at this point
This is awesome! Definitely getting one of these. I live in NY and NJ, both of which require a front plate. Took mine off recently after replacing the grille, but this seems like a good solution.

Were you able to connect the wires to the car in a relatively neat/reversible way?

Old 09-10-2017, 06:35 PM
porkchopious is on a distinguished road
I got a "No front plate displayed" ticket in Washington, DC a few years ago. My car is has Virginia plates, but the incredibly efficient meter maids know which states should and should not display a front plate. When I got back home, I wrote a profane message on the ticket and mailed it in. Six weeks later, now there is a late fee attached. I sent that in with a similar message. Eventually I got sent to collections and that eventually dropped off my report. Years ago while actually living in DC, I got a "No plate displayed" ticket. My car was parked on the street with the front bumper very close to the car ahead, but the police where able to see at 2:30 AM that I did not have a front plate. This city cannot find its *** with a funnel, but the parking enforcement department runs like a f#&*%ing Swiss watch...

Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 AM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nickplee
Were you able to connect the wires to the car in a relatively neat/reversible way?
yes, indeed! I simply ran the power feed wire to the battery terminal in the engine bay. I found a nut in my bucket of miscellaneous hardware that threaded onto the battery post, and voila!

The the wire is small enough that I can close the cover of the jump terminal. Pretty clean...I probably can hide the wire a little better so it's not visible at all from the top side of the engine bay:

Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 AM
nickplee is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by supraholic
yes, indeed! I simply ran the power feed wire to the battery terminal in the engine bay. I found a nut in my bucket of miscellaneous hardware that threaded onto the battery post, and voila!
All I needed to hear. Ordered!

Old 09-13-2017, 05:19 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Nice job Dan!
Glad I inspired you and thanks for using one of my better ideas lol.
I get compliments all the time on it especially from kids.
Generally it's retracted but the remote has come in handy while driving a few times.
I bought an extra one for parts thinking it would be scrapping the ground but of course doesn't in this location.
Only maintenance has been stone chips on the front of the black rail...

Cheers, Ryan

Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 AM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
Thanks Ryan and everyone for the comments!

I got my AMR lightweight grille from Redpants mounted up. I think it creates a sportier look for the front end. And of course, since I have the retractable plate, I opted for the ROW version of the grille = no plate mount holes!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:47 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Love the license plate and your garage!!!

Do you have some pics of your garage?

Old 02-27-2021, 09:59 PM
Romey is an unknown quantity at this point
At-speed function?

Looks great. Any idea if it functions out and back in without issue at highway speeds? I wonder if wind resistance becomes an issue as it seems a bit flimsy when operating.

Originally Posted by supraholic
Hi All,

I got some inspiration from Ryan (007V8Vantage) and decided to install the "Show 'n Go" retractable front license plate kit for my V12V. I ended up taking the lower front bumper off the car to make the job easier, but ended up being an all day project. The trickiest part of the entire project was re-installing those pesky air filter boxes when re-assembling everything. No room to spare for those suckers!

Here's a quick video of the results: https://youtu.be/pOx9imihJeE

I'm pretty happy with how it came out...I have about 3/8" gap between the track/motor mechanism and the radiator. I would have like to set the track back another 1/4" but oh well.

I've got an AMR lightweight grille coming from Redpants--can't wait to get it. It'll match the mesh of the lower grille.

-Dan