Homelink - Can't get it paired - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by: Bamford Rose

Homelink - Can't get it paired

Old 09-13-2017, 10:52 AM

brightoncorgi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Homelink - Can't get it paired

Any tips (beyond what the owner's manual says) on getting Homelink paired to the car? I have tried so many times and just can't get it to work. Worked on my Jag very easily.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM

Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
I have had the same problem on my 09 Vantage. It won't pair to any of 3 door openers. I think the problem is the functioning of the Homelink unit itself -- not a pairing problem. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Mathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the rough
Look up "homelink compatibility bridge." I needed one for my Honda. Apparently, some aspect of Homelink communication changed over the years, and older cars can't talk to newer garage door openers and (I believe) vice-versa.

P.S. Chamberlain sent me a compatibility bridge for free when I complained about it.

Last edited by Mathman85; 09-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:10 AM

davidm17 is on a distinguished road
There are a couple threads on here about Homelink. A search should find them. It depends on the garage door opener. Newer openers use a revised security protocol that doesn't work with the Homelink in Astons until the past couple years. You have to get a Homelink bridge for your opener that "converts" the newer protocol to the older one. I even had to do this for my 2013 to work with my new opener.

David
Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman85 View Post
Look up "homelink compatibility bridge." I needed one for my Honda. Apparently, some aspect of Homelink communication changed over the years, and older cars can't talk to newer garage door openers and (I believe) vice-versa.

P.S. Chamberlain sent me a compatibility bridge for free when I complained about it.

Makes sense as my Vantage is '11 and the Jag '17. Looking up that bridge now...
Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Printed out the Liftmaster directions (garage door opener is about 1.5 years old) and if that doesn't work I'll get the bridge for $25.00.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM

Prefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to beholdPrefurbia is a splendid one to behold
Just did mine (again - 5th Vantage) yesterday - I had to press the 'learn' button on the actual opener, run quickly to the car with the remote, then proceed as normal, weird but that's what I've had to do. maybe something to do with 'rolling codes' or something like that.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:37 AM

Mathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi View Post
Printed out the Liftmaster directions (garage door opener is about 1.5 years old) and if that doesn't work I'll get the bridge for $25.00.
I'd contact Liftmaster to ensure that it'll resolve the problem. Chamberlain simply asked the year and model of my car and garage door opener and they were able to tell me if I needed it. They proceeded to tell me the price, to which I replied "wait, you're saying I need to spend more money to get this garage door opener to work as advertised?" and they quickly said "hold please... okay, it appears we can send it to you at no charge."
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I'd contact Liftmaster to ensure that it'll resolve the problem. Chamberlain simply asked the year and model of my car and garage door opener and they were able to tell me if I needed it. They proceeded to tell me the price, to which I replied "wait, you're saying I need to spend more money to get this garage door opener to work as advertised?" and they quickly said "hold please... okay, it appears we can send it to you at no charge."
How long was your garage install to complaint? I got a few tips in this thread I'll try first. Give it the old college try before calling them. Chamberlain and Liftmaster are the company.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM

I don't understand what you're asking. I installed the opener, realized it wouldn't pair, called them, they sent me a compatibility bridge that arrived a couple days later, I plugged in the bridge and paired it to the opener, and then paired the car. Took less than 30 minutes once I received the bridge.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you're asking. I installed the opener, realized it wouldn't pair, called them, they sent me a compatibility bridge that arrived a couple days later, I plugged in the bridge and paired it to the opener, and then paired the car. Took less than 30 minutes once I received the bridge.

I bought my garage opener 1.5 years and now I say I doesn't work... I wonder if they'll be as accommodating as it did not work on day one.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
What I've found is you do not always need a bridge. Genie, for example has some remotes they can send you to achieve the pairing.

It is my understanding that the trouble comes down to a change in the frequency used by newer remotes, and the frequency expected by our HomeLink units.

Both Genie and Liftmaster have sent me remotes in the past that I used to program my HomeLink accordingly.

1 - pair the remote with HomeLink
2 - pair the HomeLink with lift via the learn button

Optionally, send the loaner remote back to the company. In my case, I asked if I could keep them in case I ever need to pair again. Both companies allowed it with no charge :-)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 PM

davidm17 is on a distinguished road
You'll likely need the bridge, but doesn't hurt to try other things first. My new opener was a Liftmaster as well. Know that the older protocol isn't as secure as the new one (thus the new one) and could be hacked, but somebody still has to be in range to scan the code and if you lock the car there's still that. And if a pro is going to steal your car then a garage door isn't going to stop them.