6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Quickjack (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/414646-quickjack.html)

SheriffDep 11-19-2017 04:24 PM

Quickjack

Anyone on here have one? I think one or two members do. But, could you possibly give any hints to what you have found since owning the jacks? I am looking to get one in Jan. This is needed for my detailing OCD. But, I will not only be lifting the DB9, but a RR Sport also. So the 7k lb model will be needed. Just want some opinion before spending 1500.

Thanks

zuman 11-19-2017 07:33 PM

Yeah, I have one.
The two lift units are heavy-ish, but I can still manage them and I'm (ahem...) now an AARP member! I have a pair of the aluminum jack pads from one of the forum sponsors here and they are a great help not only in filling the space between the body and the jack, but also in aligning the lift units under the car.
I've used it for oil changes and the regular maintenance jobs that require getting under the car, and I also use it for changing between summer and winter tires & wheels on my daily driver and my wife's and my daughters' cars. That's two days a year when I really love the Quickjack: 16 trips up the steps to the attic above the garage carrying the winter tires up and the summer tires down and vice versa. At least the Quickjack means I only have to lift each car up once!
The Quickjack feels very safe and secure and it's never made me nervous.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...06afa40b82.jpg

handyman2009 11-20-2017 05:05 AM

Same here got one as I thought it was the only safe way to lift the Vantage, I too feel very safe, used it to replaced the O2 sensors, air filters, oil change and so on. It was also very nice lifting the car to polish the side of it at a very comfortable height sitting on a little creeper. As mentioned about I use mine a lot at the beginning of the summer season to get the car ready and at the end to change winter tires on all the other cars. Very good investment but as mentioned a little heavy but doable still
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...9b96e5ce9d.jpg

brightoncorgi 11-20-2017 07:02 AM

Great thread as I have been considering one too.

rocketboots999 11-20-2017 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by brightoncorgi (Post 4679752)
Great thread as I have been considering one too.

+1 on that. Good to know that it works for our cars.

I haven't had my car long enough to jack it up and I have been wondering which way to go. Any known limitations on Vantages that came with the N400 sills?

Jeff_335i 11-20-2017 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Quickjacks, too. Best garage thing I've ever purchased.

sonies 11-20-2017 09:18 AM

do they somehow lock in place? Those look kind of freaky

Jeff_335i 11-20-2017 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by sonies (Post 4679794)
do they somehow lock in place? Those look kind of freaky

Yes, they lock in place at two heights and are not freaky at all. They are extremely stable.

sonies 11-20-2017 09:33 AM

very cool, going to have to look into some of those

handyman2009 11-20-2017 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by rocketboots999 (Post 4679763)
+1 on that. Good to know that it works for our cars.

I haven't had my car long enough to jack it up and I have been wondering which way to go. Any known limitations on Vantages that came with the N400 sills?

I have since upgrading my car with the V8S/V12 side sills and it is not an issue

MRCW 11-20-2017 11:19 AM

I'm glad it's not too heavy for Santa 's sleigh... I'm expecting one for under the tree

SheriffDep 11-20-2017 12:43 PM

Thanks for all that information. Anyone also use theirs on a SUV? I have a RR Sport that I will need to lift from time to time. Other than weight limits, what are your thoughts?

I have the lifting blocks, 2x or 4x of them. Cannot remmeber, except they are anodized blue. LOL

I will be using mine mostly for detailing reasons, but oil and other things will be nice.

davidm17 11-20-2017 02:51 PM

This will likely be a Xmas present for my garage as well. I presume you guys are using the 5000 lb model and the SLX variant?

handyman2009 11-20-2017 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SheriffDep (Post 4679907)
Thanks for all that information. Anyone also use theirs on a SUV? I have a RR Sport that I will need to lift from time to time. Other than weight limits, what are your thoughts?

I have the lifting blocks, 2x or 4x of them. Cannot remmeber, except they are anodized blue. LOL

I will be using mine mostly for detailing reasons, but oil and other things will be nice.

A friend of mine also bought one but the 7,000lbs vs the 5,000lbs that I bought, he told me that he has extensions to raise his Jeep up but I haven't seen it in person

Jeff_335i 11-20-2017 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by davidm17 (Post 4679978)
This will likely be a Xmas present for my garage as well. I presume you guys are using the 5000 lb model and the SLX variant?

Mine are the 5000 SLX

Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4679997)
A friend of mine also bought one but the 7,000lbs vs the 5,000lbs that I bought, he told me that he has extensions to raise his Jeep up but I haven't seen it in person

A friend of mine also bought the 7000 lb model so he could lift his F150. The 7000 lb version is 20 lbs heavier per side so harder to move around, and it's also 1/2" thicker (taller?) when folded down. My 5000 lb model *just* fits under the Vantage without having to drive up on a board or jack it up a little.

NCVantage 11-20-2017 06:29 PM

I've got the 7000 ext version with the truck SUV adapters. Will lift up to 7000 lbs and is longer than the standard version. Works great with my Vantage and my F-250. Highly recommend them. Much safer than jack stands.

SheriffDep 11-20-2017 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by NCVantage (Post 4680032)
I've got the 7000 ext version with the truck SUV adapters. Will lift up to 7000 lbs and is longer than the standard version. Works great with my Vantage and my F-250. Highly recommend them. Much safer than jack stands.

I will be in CLT Dec 19, anyway I could come by and see it? Pm me if you don’t mind. I will be flying in from the Middle East to pick up my RR, will be in Southpark, Fairview rd Sardis rd area

NCVantage 11-20-2017 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by NCVantage (Post 4680032)

woops...miss typed. Lifts my F150. A 250 definitely weighs more than 7000 lbs!

NCVantage 11-20-2017 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SheriffDep (Post 4680047)
I will be in CLT Dec 19, anyway I could come by and see it? Pm me if you don’t mind. I will be flying in from the Middle East to pick up my RR, will be in Southpark, Fairview rd Sardis rd area

My profile is new, Doesn't seem to be allowing me access to PM. I'm cool with you checking them out. I'll try the PM tomorrow.

Aldv 11-20-2017 10:09 PM

Hi guys..did you buy from a vendor here or just online?

NCVantage 11-21-2017 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Aldv (Post 4680061)
Hi guys..did you buy from a vendor here or just online?

Got mine at eautotools.com. At the time they had the best deal. However I did get the custom Vantage lifting pads from Matt in the Vendor Section here.

Aldv 11-21-2017 07:01 AM

Thanks NCVantage....I was one of Matt's early buying guys before he got yelled at and then registered here legally....lol

I use the pads and found them to fit perfect for lifting. I thought about buying his new bar system -- two of them for lifting but he stated I should still use jack stands....so this is another option plus I could use if I got the heavier lift for many of my work vans...let the company buy....I can borrow...lol

Thanks again...safe driving

SheriffDep 11-21-2017 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by NCVantage (Post 4680052)
My profile is new, Doesn't seem to be allowing me access to PM. I'm cool with you checking them out. I'll try the PM tomorrow.

Yep, wont let me PM you either. We will work it out in time. We have at least 3x weeks. Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!

RJRDenver 11-21-2017 10:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I love my quickjack too!

I bought mine a few weeks ago direct from the quickjacks website. At the time promo code MONEY took $100 off the purchase and provided free shipping.

rocketboots999 11-21-2017 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by zuman (Post 4679712)
Yeah, I have one.
The two lift units are heavy-ish, but I can still manage them and I'm (ahem...) now an AARP member!

I know it depends on which version you get, but how heavy are they? I am thinking about how I might store them and what they are like to move around.

RJRDenver 11-21-2017 01:50 PM

I'd say around 80 lbs. They are manageable and slide on the ground quite easily.

Originally Posted by rocketboots999 (Post 4680242)
I know it depends on which version you get, but how heavy are they? I am thinking about how I might store them and what they are like to move around.

zuman 11-21-2017 03:26 PM

Yeah, like RJRDenver said, each "side" of the 5,000-lb system is 76lb and when you add hoses and fittings you're around 80lb/side.
I store mine vertically in my garage against the wall. I use a steel cable that's anchored to the wall to keep them in place.

NCVantage 11-21-2017 08:10 PM

Also worth noting that they have little wheels on one end so you can pickup the other end and move them around pretty easily without having to carry the full weight. There are also two positioning bars included for helping move the units around under the vehicle.

sierraV12V 11-21-2017 09:32 PM

I am thinking about how I might store them and what they are like to move around.

I just store mine underneath the car to save space. Use these things a ton, don't know if I could go back to jacking up a car the old fashioned way, seems so inconvenient now :).

embdenb 11-22-2017 07:36 AM

If they ever come out with a design that bolts permanently to the garage floor I would buy one. Too heavy for me to lift and store with my health issues.

rocketboots999 11-22-2017 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by NCVantage (Post 4680372)
Also worth noting that they have little wheels on one end so you can pickup the other end and move them around pretty easily without having to carry the full weight. There are also two positioning bars included for helping move the units around under the vehicle.

Hmmm, it's looking like this might happen! A couple more questions if I may?

- I haven't had to jack up my "new to me" car yet and I have read some of the horror stories about it being done wrong. How does the Quickjack pick up on the car's jacking points? Does it have adjustable mounting points for different cars? Someone mentioned using the Quickjack with custom Vantage jack fittings advertised on this forum; is that really necessary?

- With so many size variations, I need to pick a Quickjack model that won't be useless for other cars should I move on from the Vantage; I may eventually get another classic car. Any thoughts on which model is a good all-rounder?

NCVantage 11-22-2017 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by embdenb (Post 4680445)
If they ever come out with a design that bolts permanently to the garage floor I would buy one. Too heavy for me to lift and store with my health issues.

There are low rise scissor lifts that might work better for you. I've not used them but looked at them before deciding on the Quickjack. Here is one example:BendPakP6 With this one you can even get a version that can be flush mounted in the garage floor. Downside is that this is a bit more money...about 1k more than Quickjack, but may fit your specific needs better.

NCVantage 11-22-2017 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by rocketboots999 (Post 4680459)
Hmmm, it's looking like this might happen! A couple more questions if I may?

- I haven't had to jack up my "new to me" car yet and I have read some of the horror stories about it being done wrong. How does the Quickjack pick up on the car's jacking points? Does it have adjustable mounting points for different cars? Someone mentioned using the Quickjack with custom Vantage jack fittings advertised on this forum; is that really necessary?

- With so many size variations, I need to pick a Quickjack model that won't be useless for other cars should I move on from the Vantage; I may eventually get another classic car. Any thoughts on which model is a good all-rounder?

On the top of each Quickjack, there is an open tray at each end. The size of the tray (length) depends on the model you pick. In this tray you position solid rubber lifting pads. You get two sets, one "Short" and one "Tall". You just position the Tall or Short pads at the points in the tray that line up with the lifting points of your specific car. The owners manual should point those out for you.

Now for the Vantage (and other AM models) the lifting points are odd shaped areas. The custom lifting pads are not necessary, but very helpful. You can use the standard pads you get with the Quickjack or blocks of wood for that matter, but you run the risk of pinching/compressing/cracking the body panel that wraps under the car at the lifting points. I would highly recommend them for our vehicles. I also bought a set of pinch weld lifting blocks on Amazon because many cars (including my kids), you lift from a pinch weld (not a flat area).

As to your question about which model, that is tough because it depends on what other vehicles you have or will get. For me, a wanted the biggest version I could get so I could lift all the cars I have and my truck and SUV, so the 7000EXT was my only option. There are two major differences between the models based on my own research (I'm by no means an expert on the Quickjack), the lifting capacity and the length of the units. The SLX versions of the 5000 and 7000 are 70" long while the EXT version of the 5000 and 7000 are 76" long. There is even a 6000 XLT which is 86" inches long. I tend to buy based on the "Bigger is Better" model :), but you also have to make sure that the unit will fit between the front and rear wheel. Again, for me, even the 7000 EXT fits under the Vantage and between the wheels...it's close, but it fits. There are other differences between the units such as minimum collapsed height...somewhere between 3 - 3.6 inches and min and max distances for the positioning blocks. Now, if I haven't completely confused you, happy shopping!

SheriffDep 11-22-2017 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by NCVantage (Post 4680494)
On the top of each Quickjack, there is an open tray at each end. The size of the tray (length) depends on the model you pick. In this tray you position solid rubber lifting pads. You get two sets, one "Short" and one "Tall". You just position the Tall or Short pads at the points in the tray that line up with the lifting points of your specific car. The owners manual should point those out for you.

Now for the Vantage (and other AM models) the lifting points are odd shaped areas. The custom lifting pads are not necessary, but very helpful. You can use the standard pads you get with the Quickjack or blocks of wood for that matter, but you run the risk of pinching/compressing/cracking the body panel that wraps under the car at the lifting points. I would highly recommend them for our vehicles. I also bought a set of pinch weld lifting blocks on Amazon because many cars (including my kids), you lift from a pinch weld (not a flat area).

As to your question about which model, that is tough because it depends on what other vehicles you have or will get. For me, a wanted the biggest version I could get so I could lift all the cars I have and my truck and SUV, so the 7000EXT was my only option. There are two major differences between the models based on my own research (I'm by no means an expert on the Quickjack), the lifting capacity and the length of the units. The SLX versions of the 5000 and 7000 are 70" long while the EXT version of the 5000 and 7000 are 76" long. There is even a 6000 XLT which is 86" inches long. I tend to buy based on the "Bigger is Better" model :), but you also have to make sure that the unit will fit between the front and rear wheel. Again, for me, even the 7000 EXT fits under the Vantage and between the wheels...it's close, but it fits. There are other differences between the units such as minimum collapsed height...somewhere between 3 - 3.6 inches and min and max distances for the positioning blocks. Now, if I haven't completely confused you, happy shopping!

Thank you so much, this helps a whole lot!!!!!!!!!!! Will be in contact in a few weeks.

karlfranz 11-23-2017 12:06 PM

rocketboots999 11-28-2017 12:56 PM

Just ordered a BL-5000SLX from their website. Used the code "MONEY" mentioned in another thread for a $100 discount. Looking forward to using my new toy on my new toy.

hsm precision 11-29-2017 04:57 AM

The roadster that you have has the trickiest jack points to hit correctly. There are under trays front and back that wind around the holes in the frame, so using pucks is difficult (I'm not sure if your car has the deeper sills - the earlier vantage sills are only about 1/2 an inch deep, but the later ones need a bit more clearance.)

This is what the jack points look like:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...e22edd27c.jpeg

front jack point

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...cb9080065.jpeg

rear jack point

I put together a more exhaustive explanation of all the variations here (as well as a link to a horror story of what can happen if the wrong points are used)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...er-simple.html

Matt

davidm17 11-29-2017 11:45 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Went ahead and ordered one as well.

J doubleU 12-05-2017 06:30 PM

Just seen an advert for the $100 off for this month (HOLIDAYSTEAL) @ quick jack. And as always free shipping.

DetomasoGTS74 12-05-2017 08:37 PM

If you have the room, I prefer the 4 post route with sliding jacks in the center. All the benefit of lifting the entire car up off the ground (or lift) to do wheel/brake work but also protects my back more and has added another space in the garage!