Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin V8 Vantage Maintenance recommended

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Aston Martin V8 Vantage Maintenance recommended

I do all my own work, but i tend to be a little lazy on the long term maintenance, like brake fluid change, transmission fluid change, and radiator water change. Oil changed every year, even though i only drive it about 2k per year.

Ive owned the car for 4 years and have done the brake fluid with SRF, but not the transmission oil or radiator flush. im a little worried about the radiator fluid , because if it wasnt distilled water from the factory, then all those deposits can destroy aluminum, head gaskets, etc. whats the longest i should let the radiator fluid be? the car is a 2006 vantage with 30,000miles.
what do you all recommend for antifreeze? distilled water and some mix of aluminum engine radiator fluid , like prestone orange?
thanks!

Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe that this is a good replacement, planning on doing it to my 2009 in the spring

http://www.redpants.lol/shop/motul-coolant

Old 12-21-2017, 06:39 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I think it is every 3-4 years to change the radiator fluid per Aston.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:12 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
A set far as doing the transaxle Rich from Redpants has a DIY video. Maybe someone or Rich can post a DIY coolant change video. His videos are very helpful. Thanks Rich.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:15 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Coolant every 5 years. According to the service schedule. Transmission is @ 4 years. Brake fluid 2 years. Don't forget your clutch if it's a 3 pedal car.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 AM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
When I got my Vantage it was 6 years old and had 10k miles. The trans axle fluid had never been changed AFIK. It came out looking like coffee. I used an "airlift tool" to change the coolant. I could only get about 7 liters out of the system. So yea I flushed it. Then changed it. The radiator plug would not torque back to stock and I don't think you can buy a new one? I can't see one on the parts diagram? I ended up putting a bead of silicone on the plug to secure it. I pulled hoses trying to get all of the coolant I could out.

Last edited by silver997; 12-21-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by silver997
When I got my Vantage it was 6 years old and had 10k miles. The transmission fluid had never been changed AFIK. It came out looking like coffee. I used an "airlift tool" to change the coolant. I could only get about 7 liters out of the system. So yea I flushed it. Then changed it. The radiator plug would not torque back to stock and I don't think you can buy a new one? I can't see one on the parts diagram? I ended up putting a bead of silicone on the plug to secure it. I pulled hoses trying to get all of the coolant I could out.
thats interesting that 10k miles that the trans oil was like "coffee" was it an automatic? (you said trans fluid)
usually the thick robust trans oil 75-90 or 140, is pretty durable and if you dont race the car around the track, it usually never gets that hot to oxidize and look bad. but,ill check. whats the fuid we use in that maserati transmission 6 speed? is it as specific as the castrol we use for the car?

where is that radiator drain plug that many have a hard time finding?

any issues with bleeding the system to rid of bubbles on refil?
motul is the recomentded anti freeze?

thanks

Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Gene G
A set far as doing the transaxle Rich from Redpants has a DIY video. Maybe someone or Rich can post a DIY coolant change video. His videos are very helpful. Thanks Rich.
that would be great! thanks. anyone have the link?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:03 AM
so, i have 12 year old coolant and transmission gear oil.. sounds like i know what im doing this weekend
where do i get the motul coolant?
any recommendations for the gear oil for the 6 speed manual transmission? redlineNS or something?

Old 12-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Kanga
An easy trick to get all the coolant out is to use a wet/dry shop vac and suck it out. I connect to the upper hose to the rad on the right hand side of the engine bay.
mcgiver.. i like it! you would appreciate my T-stat bypass technique, and water pump flow test, in the porsche 928 cooling system!

Old 12-21-2017, 02:57 PM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
Manual transmission of course.

6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/401301-09-vantage-coolant-drain-location.html

Old 12-21-2017, 03:34 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the manual and automatic had the same transaxle?

Old 12-22-2017, 01:48 AM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
Changing the transaxle fluid (went with OEM) made an incredible improvement to the way my shifter feels. Car only had 16k miles. This would be my biggest recommendation.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lve2xlr8
Changing the transaxle fluid (went with OEM) made an incredible improvement to the way my shifter feels. Car only had 16k miles. This would be my biggest recommendation.
I too noticed a difference at that mileage when it was changed and also noticed an improvement on any car (auto or manual) I have changed the transmission fluid on.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:02 PM
what is the OE fluid? castrol?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin V8 Vantage Maintenance recommended