Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Smartire TPMS cloning as a replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 AM
VAENG is an unknown quantity at this point
Smartire TPMS cloning as a replacement

Instead of sourcing a very expensive Smartire TPMS replacement unit, has anyone experimented by using a generic programmable TPMS, e.g. Autel MX unit, and use a programmer to upload the existing Smartire TPMS ID numbers?

I recently did this on one of my cars using the Autel programmer and wondered if this would also work for the Smartire system -- assuming that all TPMS work similarly, e.g. either 315 MHz or 433 MHz, which transmits the ID numbers and relevant data.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I am looking for the same since years - nix null nothing nada

Old 12-28-2017, 09:08 PM
I did some more research on the issue. I was able to get a reading off the Smartire TPMS using an Autel TS401 TPMS reader/programer. Based on the Autel programmable TPMS chart (pg.26), it seems you can copy the existing Smartire codes to the Autel MX TPMS replacement unit.

I probably won't be able to test this until the spring; however, it seems promising that this could be a solution.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:52 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
That looks very promising, also fits in the MY range with smartire sensors.
Please keep us updated.
Cheers

Old 12-29-2017, 12:43 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
So, we can clone the original (my car is a 2007) Smarttire system sensors with this tool?

And the whole system is about $1500?. That's favorable to getting this done a couple times at a dealer, right?

Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by ab_aston
So, we can clone the original (my car is a 2007) Smarttire system sensors with this tool? And the whole system is about $1500?. That's favorable to getting this done a couple times at a dealer, right?
The tool I was referring to is the Autel TS401 TPMS, which you can get on Amazon for $139. It has the ability to program Autel MX universal sensors, which are around $20-$25. I've used the TS401 and the MX universal sensors on other cars and they worked without any problems.

I've not tried to program the MX universal sensors with the DB9 Smartire system yet; however, all indications seem that it's doable. Indications meaning -- I was able to pull the codes of the Smartire and the Autel site link I provided above seems to indicate that Smartire codes can be copied to the MX sensors. I've not done it yet -- mainly because my sensors are fine, but I'll likely experiment in the spring out of curiosity. I will, however, pull all the codes off the sensors and store them -- in case the sensor batteries die before i have a chance of testing it.

Related, the $1K+ MaxiSys MS906 does an excellent job on reading the codes, resetting the service light, etc. for a number of the higher end vehicles. I did a writeup about the tool on the Maseratilife forum. The reason I mention the MS906 is because there is a version (MS906TS) that will program TPMS sensors like the TS401 (in addition to all the other features).

Old 01-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Autel Support sent me the below instructions for programming a 433 MHz Autel MX sensor to support a Smartire system.

Relearn Procedure:
Please note:
If new ID is created for the this sensor, OE tool is needed to perform relearn.
With Autel tools, the only solution is to copy the OE Sensors' IDs, and no relearn needed.
There are two methods to copy the OE sensors' IDs.

Method 1:
1. Please perform a rapid tire deflation while pressing the trigger button on Autel tool to receive sensor data.
2. Then use the 'Copy By Activation' function to program Autel sensor.
3. Install the duplicated Autel sensor to the location corresponding to the OE sensor.

Method 2:
1. Uninstall the OE sensor, a series of numbers (173-1-1-XXXXXXX)�are printed on its surface, among which XXXXXXX is the OE sensor's decimal ID.
2. Use the 'Manual Create' function to program Autel sensor.
3. Install the duplicated Autel sensor to the location corresponding to the OE sensor.

Note:
If necessary, please pay special attention to the sensor ID format conversion when using the 'Manual Create'.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:04 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I really like the solution where you just solder in new batteries and install the originals again. But it's good to know there is also a cloning option.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Having the need to install a second set of Autel programmable TPMS, cloned as Smartire sensors, on a new set of wheels, I looked up my past instructions to complete the process. I also realized, that I did not confirm that the process works. It does.

You can successfully clone the Smartire sensors using "Method 2." Getting a scan reading using Method 1 did not work for me. There is also an extensive discussion on PH about this process as well.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:46 PM
JeffFlorida is an unknown quantity at this point
Worked great

I used method 2 and it worked perfectly. Went ahead and replaced all 4 SmarTire sensors. Saved a fortune. Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Tashakes is on a distinguished road
Using method 2 I was able to program the new MX Autel sensors on my new wheels. I was not able to read the smartire sensors on my original wheels so I took them to a tire shop and they were able to push down the tire enough to where I was able to take a picture of each sensor. Charge: $5 per tire. Add that to $100 for four sensors and $75 for the Autel 401 and total is less than $200. I left the Smartire sensors on the original wheels because they were not malfunctioning as I never got a Check Tire warning with them on. Once I installed the new wheels with the unprogrammed MX sensors, the warning came on.

After install and programming and 2 minutes of driving, the warning went off.

Oddly enough, the original sensors were installed in the wrong location, so I used the color code to match the serial to the new sensor and correct location. I have yet to check if deflating the tires will trigger the right color on the display.

Thanks for posting this thread, I was able to get it done at a fraction of the cost at the dealer.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:07 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I'm about to replace the tires on my '09 V8V. I've had it from new, and it still has the original TPMS. They're still working, but I'm thinking it might be wise to replace them when I change the tires. I know many people have had to replace them when they're a lot younger than mine, but have any/many people had them last longer? I don't want to replace them unnecessarily, but I don't want to keep them and have them die shortly after either...

Old 05-10-2022, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
I'm about to replace the tires on my '09 V8V. I've had it from new, and it still has the original TPMS. They're still working, but I'm thinking it might be wise to replace them when I change the tires. I know many people have had to replace them when they're a lot younger than mine, but have any/many people had them last longer? I don't want to replace them unnecessarily, but I don't want to keep them and have them die shortly after either...
I believe '09 V8V uses a Beru type sensor and not a Smartire. Regardless, the cost to replace a sensor is only about $25-$30 a unit -- provided that you're not buying the dealer part. In general, I install a new sensor at every tire change regardless of age. Your sensors have significantly exceeded the expected battery lifespan of a TPMS sensor, so I would replace them.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:17 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Thanks. It has the Smartire unit under the glovebox. I figured it's on borrowed time. And the dealer price is stunning!

Old 05-10-2022, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Thanks. It has the Smartire unit under the glovebox. I figured it's on borrowed time. And the dealer price is stunning!
if that's the case, if you don't replace them, at the very least you will want to get the TPMS ID numbers off each sensor (as well as wheel position) and keep them ready for when the sensor does fail. Below is a picture of one of my sensors with the location of the code that you will need to program to the Autel TPMS Sensors.

Smartire TPMS sensor

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Smartire TPMS cloning as a replacement