Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tail light condensation factory fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:08 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Tail light condensation factory fix?

Like many of us my right rear has been flickering due to the condensation that makes its way into my rear lamp, slowly ruining the fixture.

In searching for a new lamp, I have come across a version of the clear lamp for sale from Aston Martin works that is titled "New Rework Aston Martin RH Rear Lamp". In the description it says it is "New and improved to prevent condensation".

Rework makes me think they took in a damaged unit and reworked it but it does say the unit is new so I am assuming the factory is improving on the standard light to prevent condensation (finally).

Has anyone purchashed a reworked unit or can anyone comment on what is changed/involved with improving it? I hate to spend hundreds of dollars on fixing an issue that will only return again and I'm hoping if I buy this unit it could be fixed for good.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:27 AM
oldfool is on a distinguished road
Mine was covered under warranty it's a known issue.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
My DB9's were replaced 3 times (both left & right). There is no fix except replacing whenever water gets in.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:27 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Thank you for the responses gentlemen. I am very well aware that it is a known issue having replaced out two lights previously already in my 10 years of ownership of this car.

My question was around if anybody is familiar with the new reworked version that Aston Martin Works has for offer now. From what I can tell it is slightly more expensive and it even has its own AM part #.

Below is the link direct to AM works eBay listing. Description is near the bottom and mentions new and improved to prevent condensation.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Martin-Clear-Rear-Lamp-Right-Side-8D33-37-10142-/202033791482

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-31-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:27 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Does this happen because most of you drive when it’s raining, or after car washes? I wonder if I should drive more when it’s wet to see if it happens to me, while it’s still under warranty

Old 12-31-2017, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
On my light, it looks like the water makes it in through the trim piece. The mounting studs aren't well sealed on the inside.
My light failed after a fairly light rain unfortunately. I've dug into the circuit, but I can't figure out what component failed (I suspect inductors, but no way to prove it, and no part number to cross reference).
My holiday project has been to come up with a new driver board that can retrofit a failed factory printed circuit board. It requires disassembling the light, then soldering in a new board, but less painful on the pocketbook than a new lamp. My plan is to use a thick conformal coat to protect the board from any moisture that gets in the light (factory circuit board has no protection at all....)

Matt

Old 12-31-2017, 05:06 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
from the shop manual we have there is a different fix for front and rear light condensation, rears IIRC involves drilling a hole, draining the fixture, shooting compressed air in the hole for a minute or so and jamming some anti moisture packets in the hole and resealing it

Old 12-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Which year cars are affected, I have 2009 and I drive it a lot rain or shine and God forbid so far have not seen this issue. Those lights are expensive

Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is 2015. Replaced 3 times. I believe extra seals where put in the last time. Haven't noticed condensation after that - but haven't been in rain yet.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:47 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
This is bad, so they will keep on replacing until your warranty will be over then you are in your own. So my suggestion to all who had this problem is right after they replace it , take the car home , hose the light down, get it to malfunction and make them replace it so so many many times that they will be force to find solution.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
When they offered a gratis replacement of mine I said "why, they're just going to fail again", and the post sale satisfaction manager "I do believe they finally have it fixed, and alot of times the installation was part of the problem. Tighten them too much pulls the back away from the light blowing the seal [or something like that].

They replaced them and so far, nothing, perfect, and far better aligned than they were from the factory where the pass side was embedded into the paint.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Well that’s good to hear. I had removed my tail lights during vinyl wrap project and so far I have not seen condensation but now I am worried
I will go back and check tomorrow. I had washed my car just 2 days ago

Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
As soon as the seal is compromised they will start to condensate because humid air will get inside, when you start getting water buildup that's from spraying them with a hose. I remember seeing one for sale on ebay that had an inch of water in one of the rears.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:55 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Honestly the final inspection at the factory is a joke. Even my rear wing badge is misaligned. I wonder if that can be replaced under warranty...

Old 12-31-2017, 11:19 PM
You could easily remove it by using heat gun , fishing wire and then cleaning up all adhesive. Once clean use double sided adhesive tap to put the badge back. But yes it should be fixed under warranty

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tail light condensation factory fix?