Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Best Black for the V8V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Agreed - We have a 2016 Camaro, had a 2015 Mustang, and a 2009 Vantage all Meteorite - perfect color.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:55 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by L_W_Martin
Hi folks,

The car is "piano black". While I love the high gloss finish when it is fully detailed and cleaned-up, as some of you know firsthand, it shows even the faintest hint of dust immediately... fingerprints, etc... I am unable to tell if this is more a product of the degradation in the paint over the years (thinning) rather than the nature of the color itself.
I've never heard of any Aston painted 'piano black'. Have you actually checked the color using the VIN? If it is indeed such a color, it's probably a one-off and thus extremely rare. But dollars to donuts that's not the actual color...

Old 01-30-2018, 05:00 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by davidm17
Carbon black. It's not an original Aston color, but there are some Vantage's out there painted in it and they look great. Second choice would be storm black, but some folks said it seemed the paint was a little soft.
What do you mean by Carbon Black is not an original Aston color? That color was offered on every model.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:09 PM
L_W_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
All - some really great suggestions so far, much appreciated and some absolutely beautiful examples. Thanks for sharing. Definitely gives me a lot to think about!

One follow-up question for those of you recommending a 'non-black' color, and have actually gone through a repaint process... Any concerns (or considerations) to be mindful of, going from black to another color, just in terms of how the finished product will look? Thanks again!

Old 01-30-2018, 06:04 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
All - some really great suggestions so far, much appreciated and some absolutely beautiful examples. Thanks for sharing. Definitely gives me a lot to think about!

One follow-up question for those of you recommending a 'non-black' color, and have actually gone through a repaint process... Any concerns (or considerations) to be mindful of, going from black to another color, just in terms of how the finished product will look? Thanks again!
Get a good shop to do it. Have them do the door jams, hatch area, and the painted area inside the engine bay. Make sure they wet sand and polish, you don't want orange peal on an Aston Martin.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
These were a couple lists I came across when I was doing my car search, many with examples, many without, and not complete, but there is no Piano Black. I would definitely get the build sheet from a dealer

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Aston%20Martin/All/

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Aston+Martin/V8+Vantage/

Old 01-30-2018, 07:06 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Meteorite Silver, dark but not black I personally think it look amazing... maybe a little bias here...

I also like meteorite silver. .. however. ..i would wrap the car. .. pick whatever color you want

Old 01-30-2018, 09:21 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Hi folks,

I am going to have my '06 V8V completely repainted, as the original paint has faded substantially in many places and there are just too many chips in various locations. It was originally a Utah car, and unfortunately it really took a cosmetic beating out there.

Not sure how the paint could be oxidized unless left out in the Utah sun forever with no paint protection? Understand the chips, happens on driven cars. Your roof, trunk, rear bumper, most likely doors, and rear panels are probably just fine. The hood, front quarters, front bumper, and side skirts likely do need or could use a painting. My personal suggestion, either get rid of the car and buy another, or DO NOT paint the whole car unless you have all panels taken off to paint. Likely to cost 10+k or more to paint with Zero added value except personal. Getting the front end painted will be costly enough.

[/QUOTE] car is "piano black". While I love the high gloss finish when it is fully detailed and cleaned-up, as some of you know firsthand, it shows even the faintest hint of dust immediately... fingerprints, etc... I am unable to tell if this is more a product of the degradation in the paint over the years (thinning) rather than the nature of the color itself. [/QUOTE]

As others have pointed out----there is no Piano Black paint. You most likely have Jet Black which was Astons fast track color in 04-05-06 and 07. Its a straight black. I personally wanted Onyx which is a black w/ silver metallic flakes. Storm with is on the DBS models is a metallic with I think red and silver flakes. Cannot remember.

Black is the best color on any car hands down. Nothing showcases a car like black. However, I dont think they are a pain to keep clean, due to I am OCD and a paint correcter as a hobby. So mine wont sit in the garage after driving it without a wash. But I understand how people feel. Most do not have the time, or care, or tools to keep the car clean easily. Takes me 30min to totally wash and dry it. Takes me longer to dry it than wash. Changing the paint will require a total taking apart of the panels to do it right. I am sure you would want it done correctly. But, I promise most likely even same color will show in areas, which not only diminishes your cars value, but also would possibly drive you nuts.

[/QUOTE] For example, do I stick with the original piano black and just have several layers of clear coat applied to help diminish the visual dust/hand print impact (if that would make a difference?)... or is there an AM black available that helps diminish this issue in and of itself, even a more contemporary black that has come along recently? [/QUOTE]

Here are some suggestions. Applying clear wont do a dam thing for you. You would still have chips, your paint is not perfect now, so wont help. Possibly wrap it to whatever color you want for a bit, and see how you like it. Change it again if you prefer. Causes no damage. Doesn't hurt value. But, you could paint the front end, then PPF it. Paint Protection Film. I will suggest 3m Pro film. They make the film and everything that goes on it. Great film and warrantied for 10 years I think. Better IMHO than Suntek, and at least the same or better than Expel.

Option----- Have a professional paint correct your car totally. About 2k or so. Then have another professional fill in all the chips everywhere. Then have the PPF applied over the parts. I bet you couldn't tell the difference than a newly painted car. Save you a bunch of money. You would HAVE TOO PPF the car regardless to prevent all the marks anyway.

Happy to help, teach you how to paint correct, and teach how to properly wash a car also. I have several threads going over cleaning on here.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 01-30-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Considering I've heard quotes of $2500-$3500 for a wrap, that's not really a "try this" solution. If you wrap it that's the way it's going to be until you want to pay the same again, or more to repaint.

If it's worth it depends on the mileage, and how attached you are to that car. 06's with lots of miles are getting very cheap but a quality paint job will never be.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:02 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Considering I've heard quotes of $2500-$3500 for a wrap, that's not really a "try this" solution. If you wrap it that's the way it's going to be until you want to pay the same again, or more to repaint.

If it's worth it depends on the mileage, and how attached you are to that car. 06's with lots of miles are getting very cheap but a quality paint job will never be.
Absolutely true; didnt mean wrap was cheap by any means. I think 3k would be fairly inexpensive for a good wrap. I thought 5-8k or so for a good one. Just what I have seen people say they cost, not ever looked into it for me.

I forgot to add in some pics of what a black car can look like. Yes mine has paint chips on front bumper, side skirts and a few on hood. Character so to speak. Its got 33k on the clock, but being rare and possibly really rare (investigating that---its an 05, but Aston never offered a manual till 06, but mine is a 6-spd) so wont get mine painted.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Showoff!

What a beautiful car. But you didn't blow the dust off before you took the picture LOL

Hey, I just saw that $149 MAACO Special commercial. How bad could it be?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Showoff!

What a beautiful car. But you didn't blow the dust off before you took the picture LOL

Hey, I just saw that $149 MAACO Special commercial. How bad could it be?
Thanks buddy, great thing is that it looks great and paint is in great condition. But, still haven't done the 50hr paint correction. Look forward to that when it warm up here in DC.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:11 AM
Thanks Sheriff for all your insights, much appreciated! Yes it is Jet Black, not Piano Black, as others have rightly pointed out.

I actually did have a professional paint correction done to the car when I first acquired it, which completely removed all the myriad swirl marks and a little bit of the chipping in certain spots. It was a vast improvement and made me more able to live with what I bought.

That said, the chips generally remain. And the areas in front of the back wheels (where the clear protective covers are applied) are so faded and chipped, it just looks awful no matter what I have tried to alleviate it.

I intend to keep the car for the long haul and am not overly concerned about diminished value as a result of the repaint.

Have to say I do love the examples I am seeing from you guys with the Meteorite Gray color. Very sharp! I'll have to do some further thinking on this I guess... likely would keep to the current color or flip to Meteorite.

Thanks all!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:12 AM
Sorry, Meteorite SILVER !
:>)

Old 01-31-2018, 10:53 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Onyx black here. Trying to search for a used Aston with a specific color would be a nightmare, so I took what I could find with condition and features in mind, ignoring the color. Black was the last color I wanted. I really like the cobalt blue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Black for the V8V?