Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Best Black for the V8V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 AM
L_W_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Black for the V8V?

Hi folks,

Just looking for opinions based on your collective experiences, fully understanding there is likely no "right" answer...

I am going to have my '06 V8V completely repainted, as the original paint has faded substantially in many places and there are just too many chips in various locations. It was originally a Utah car, and unfortunately it really took a cosmetic beating out there.

The car is "piano black". While I love the high gloss finish when it is fully detailed and cleaned-up, as some of you know firsthand, it shows even the faintest hint of dust immediately... fingerprints, etc... I am unable to tell if this is more a product of the degradation in the paint over the years (thinning) rather than the nature of the color itself.

Either way, I want to keep the car black. So, I am looking for some input on "what black" to have it painted. For example, do I stick with the original piano black and just have several layers of clear coat applied to help diminish the visual dust/hand print impact (if that would make a difference?)... or is there an AM black available that helps diminish this issue in and of itself, even a more contemporary black that has come along recently?

Interested to hear from owners of other black Astons on your experiences.

Thanks everyone,
Len

Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Black no matter what shade will show dust - personally I hate black, but since I have a V12S, there are few options, unlike the V8's. I have the 'metallic' Black - Onyx which is not awful. I'd paint it a lighter color.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
My car is jet black. Pretty happy with it but I must say I do like the onyx and storm black whenever I see them on another aston.

Jet black is flat with no metallic flakes and the gloss is highly reflective after a wash and wax. It is delicate in that it scratches easily.

I polish and wax it almost every month, even when I barely drive it. But it does look great after the detail! Too bad it doesn't stay that way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo313.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	520071   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo786.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	520072  

Last edited by spyder997s; 01-30-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:25 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I vote Onyx black, if your set on black. If you could do a color change ceramic grey is great.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by J doubleU
I vote Onyx black, if your set on black. If you could do a color change ceramic grey is great.
This^

Dark grey is much easier to maintain than black. I had a black car once...once.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:11 AM
drac will become famous soon enoughdrac will become famous soon enough
I went from black to storm titanium on my Elise. Its so much easier to look after and hides a good degree of grime. I swore to myself I would never have another black car.
Not quite sure now why I keep looking at black V12 vantage manuals.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:37 AM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
I love my Onyx Black roadster. It looks black most of the time but in direct sunlight you can see the light blue/purple metallic flecks in the paint.

Onyx Black shows micro scratches a lot more easily than silver or white. I would recommend you get paint protection film (PPF) applied professionally if you want to keep the car looking great. Self-healing films from XPel or SunTek are great.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:57 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I'd suggest painting it white

Old 01-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Painted Black then Painted Again Mini-Orange

Many years ago I bought a black 1987 928 as a 'Chevy project'. After the conversion which The black was in rough shape so I paid $5,000 to have it resprayed in black again. As a 'show' car and daily driver, there were days that washing it twice was the only way to keep it looking good. That lasted about 2 months! After that I replicated the same Orange as the BMW Mini convertible - looked good dusty or not, washed it about 1/10th the times of black.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Black928Front.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	520094  
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:52 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Carbon black. It's not an original Aston color, but there are some Vantage's out there painted in it and they look great. Second choice would be storm black, but some folks said it seemed the paint was a little soft. Don't know if you would have that issue with a new paint job.

I believe onyx has just silver flake. Carbon has some blue and storm has some red. At least that is my understanding from what I found on the web when I was looking at cars.

Last edited by davidm17; 01-30-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:52 PM
L_W_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, beautiful looking car! Definitely a very high shine, which looks awesome. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi---check out Grants book as it lists all the colors different cars have been painted and offered in different years.

I wish I bought a grey-black- silver- or white color car. My fire red pearl color draws way too much attention. People are forever taking pics with their phones or video taping it. My wife often laughs when we take the car out...did you brush your hair? LOL

Post a few pics when painted...safe driving and stay the black color!!!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Love/Hate my Onyx Black. It looks amazing for about 10 minutes after I wash it. In my area, central valley California, dust is a bugger from about May to October. If I ever were to repaint, I love Ferrari's Tour de France Blue.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:47 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Meteorite Silver, dark but not black I personally think it look amazing... maybe a little bias here...

Last edited by handyman2009; 01-30-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: newer photo
Old 01-30-2018, 03:47 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Orient Blue

Looks black until it’s in the sun

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Black for the V8V?