Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinion re: this Vantage V8, MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 AM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
You guys are just enablers! Still slightly nervous with such a nice, "new" car and lack of any real service support in middle GA for the car, so we will see how it goes. Got to get a tag and some insurance and will be very pleased to share some photos with the group. Also planning to get it up to Pannell Motorsports shortly for a quick once-over and anxiety relief.

Daryl: My long-suffering wife has agreed to go up to Charlotte with me to get the truck, so I probably won't be able to swing by and see you on the trip home. But will certainly get with you shortly about these cars. One of the great things about the car hobby is the nice folks you meet along the way. Thanks for extending such a warm welcome to an AM newb.

Regards,
Mike

Old 03-15-2018, 08:14 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Have to admit some jealousy as I would be the owner of that car if I could've reacted quicker last year. See if you can do an archived page search on cars.com to find the old owners phone number. Could save you a 2K knowing which services were done and when. Memory serves he was on top of it all. Do you know where the car was serviced previously?

Old 03-15-2018, 08:21 AM
superuser is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike Gray
You guys are just enablers! Still slightly nervous with such a nice, "new" car and lack of any real service support in middle GA for the car, so we will see how it goes. Got to get a tag and some insurance and will be very pleased to share some photos with the group. Also planning to get it up to Pannell Motorsports shortly for a quick once-over and anxiety relief.

Daryl: My long-suffering wife has agreed to go up to Charlotte with me to get the truck, so I probably won't be able to swing by and see you on the trip home. But will certainly get with you shortly about these cars. One of the great things about the car hobby is the nice folks you meet along the way. Thanks for extending such a warm welcome to an AM newb.

Regards,
Mike
Cool, let me know when you're coming up to see Jason at Pannnell, we can grab some food and go for a drive.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Daryl: Will do. Thanks!

Brightoncorgi: I have the stamped service book/Owner's Manual. Last service was oil change and tranny flush at 11.8K at the Cape Fear, NC Audi/Land Rover dealer in July, 2017. That was the 4th service on the car (first oil change at 1K and at about 4K thereafter), which makes me feel pretty good that the car was cared for and not neglected. Fortunately, I found an invoice for that, folded up in the Owner's Manual, with the PO's name and telephone numbers. So I will reach out to him at some point. Nice to have that ability. Hope he won't think I'm some sort of crazed stalker!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Fortunately, I found an invoice for that, folded up in the Owner's Manual, with the PO's name and telephone numbers. So I will reach out to him at some point. Nice to have that ability. Hope he won't think I'm some sort of crazed stalker!

I would call him ASAP. The sooner you have whatever knowledge and history he can give, the better you can plan. Ask what issues did he notice before trading it in that you may want to be aware of. I bet he'll be excited that his beauty is in the hands of someone who cares and will relish it as much as he did.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats!

What a beautiful car!
I'm a little biased here.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Regular maintenance is DIY if you want. Just did my first oil change and nothing different than other cars except for draining the oil from multiple locations.

Might be fun to have a meetup at Pannell when you go there. I haven't had a need to use them so haven't made it there, but wouldn't mind meeting some folks.

David

Old 03-15-2018, 01:18 PM
superuser is on a distinguished road
You may want to see if you can find out if the trans flush done at the Audi/Land Rover dealer used the special Aston spec Castrol BOT270A fluid. If not, I would have Pannell flush it when you come up.

Last edited by superuser; 03-15-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Well done, what great car with a wonderful color combo. I do like Vantages in non silver or black colors.
Ron

Old 03-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
That was my Aston!!

That beautiful white Aston Vantage was my car that I purchased new. It was a very good car, no problems. I will be glad to share any information about the car. The transmission flush was done with Richard's Redpants transmission kit. I also did several oil changes myself, you will see them recorded in the Owner's manual. Clear bra was installed new at Hendrick Porsche, Charlotte. I traded car in at Hendrick Porsche in early December 17.

Call me if you have any questions 704 287 5726. Glad to hear it's in good hands! Skip the inspection, drive the car...it needs nothing. Fresh engine oil & filters, fresh tranny oil, recent alignment, new battery. This car uses no oil between changes. Oil level should be checked cold after a 20 second run after start, then pull the stick. Always Castrol TWS 10-60

Mark Gilliss

Last edited by Mark8V8; 03-15-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Mark:

Thanks for posting on my thread! It is hard to describe how excited I am to be the new owner of this car. I have always loved the Fisker design and the interior of the car is JUST SPECTACULAR! I come from a long history of BMW and Porsche ownership (mostly the older cars, to include a bunch of BMW M cars and euro models, but did own a 2007 M5 MT for about a year - newest "fun car" I'd owned prior to this Aston) and the British style and craftsmanship on this car is just at another level. I'm fascinated by the sunvisors - so delicate ...... and no plastic clips!!!

I am particularly glad to hear that the car has a new battery. No record of that and it was the first thing I wanted to have checked. Do you recall when it was replaced?

I really do appreciate the counsel and support of the board extended to such an AM newb and look forward to meeting up with the Atlanta owners. Frankly, the availability of Jason Pannell to do the work on the car, at a location in Atlanta I'm pretty familiar with, gives me a little comfort in my ability to keep the car serviced. To tell you the truth, I'm still nervous and a bit self-conscious driving around in the thing!

I shot a few photos of the car with my cheap point and shoot camera this afternoon and they are as follows:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2298.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	522299   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2300.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	522300   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2301.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	522301   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2302.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	522302   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2303.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	522303  

Last edited by Mike Gray; 03-15-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:51 AM
Mike

I replaced the battery last July so you are good for a long time. The battery is located below a long carpeted horizontal access panel behind the passenger & drivers seat and is a bear to access and remove. (There is a tow hook under the same panel behind the drivers seat. I suggest you use a battery tender when not using the car for more than 2 weeks. There is a 12 volt charging spot behind a vertical panel on the right hand side of the trunk. The battery should last a long time with a tender. (This is shown in the Owner's manual.) Checking the oll level is a strange thing, you have a dry sump motor. There is a you tube video that is helpful here. You must start the car cold let it run for 20 sec or so. Then about 30 seconds after the engine is off, check the oil. The car uses almost no oil. I also have an oil catch can that I purchased from Redpants that I removed before trading the car. Contact me is you want this because it will catch some oil that goes back into engine near the throttle plate. Reverse gear is very tall. Avoid backing up a hill, this will surely reduce your clutch life. You should have two keys, a crystal and a black service key. When parked outdoors be sure to cover the leather dash from the hot Georgia sun as it will shrink the leather on the dash.

Mark

Last edited by Mark8V8; 03-16-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:13 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Chestnut interior. Really gorgeous, and rare. I almost bought a very similar example, and sometimes kick myself for not getting it. I'd jump on it, with a clean PPI.

Edit: I think this is the car I was looking at 2-3 years ago. I remember the bamboo ski slope. Was this car ever located in North Carolina?

Edit 2: I didn't see the post above. Duh!

Last edited by deckman; 03-16-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM
Yes, Deckman this was the car you looked at a few years ago. I recall your wife may not have liked the color?? Not really sure. Mike just got a great deal on a great car. Mike's purchase price was very close to my trade price, so the dealers did not really profit after selling to Mike.

Mike, with good care this car will last for years to come.

Last edited by Mark8V8; 03-16-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Mark:

Thanks for posting on my thread! It is hard to describe how excited I am to be the new owner of this car. I have always loved the Fisker design and the interior of the car is JUST SPECTACULAR! I come from a long history of BMW and Porsche ownership (mostly the older cars, to include a bunch of BMW M cars and euro models, but did own a 2007 M5 MT for about a year - newest "fun car" I'd owned prior to this Aston) and the British style and craftsmanship on this car is just at another level. I'm fascinated by the sunvisors - so delicate ...... and no plastic clips!!!

I am particularly glad to hear that the car has a new battery. No record of that and it was the first thing I wanted to have checked. Do you recall when it was replaced?

I really do appreciate the counsel and support of the board extended to such an AM newb and look forward to meeting up with the Atlanta owners. Frankly, the availability of Jason Pannell to do the work on the car, at a location in Atlanta I'm pretty familiar with, gives me a little comfort in my ability to keep the car serviced. To tell you the truth, I'm still nervous and a bit self-conscious driving around in the thing!

I shot a few photos of the car with my cheap point and shoot camera this afternoon and they are as follows:
Boy I sure do love that interior, what a wonderful Vantage.
Great choice.
Ron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinion re: this Vantage V8, MT