Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinion re: this Vantage V8, MT

Old 03-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
Thanks to all for the nice comments on the car! And thanks to Mark for his input on his previous ownership - I've PMed him to take that conversation off-line. That background has been extremely helpful and interesting.

Obviously, I am terrifically excited to be Owner #2 of this spectacular car. And appreciate the very warm welcome from the AM community. Gotta love car guys!

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Mike Gray; 03-16-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:35 PM
99_Carrera is on a distinguished road
Reading through this thread today put a huge smile on my face.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Glad I could bring a smile to someone's face! I'm still getting the occasional "stink eye" from Mrs. Gray. But she's trying to be a good sport about this car thing I've got. I think she realizes I could be doing much worse.

And the Vantage is putting a BIG smile on my face!

Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM
99_Carrera is on a distinguished road
So glad to hear. Likewise, mine never fails to capture my admiration.

While I've grown to love many automobiles with visual shortcomings at certain angles, this is the first car I've no qualm with anything aesthetically. And the driving dynamics are quite wonderful. While not on par with the racing or acceleration developed niches in the segment, it does everything well and offers a very rewarding and predictable experience when pushed. Pre-delivery I expected good, but was surprised with great. And while I originally bought it as a rotation, I'm certain my V8V going to end up as a permanent addition.

One quick note, especially going from a p-car, beware the long nose. It can be deceptive, pulling into parking spaces.

And lastly, it sounds you may want to consider building some road trip memories with the Mrs. While it may have been difficult to consent the purchase, some great memories of visiting friends of hers/family, or a scenic getaway, may help weave things she loves with things you love.

Congrats again. And I'm happy we've a common joy. It's a great feeling, this AM ownership thing.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Ah, another kindred spirit! I just love it when other folks waste money on cars. Makes me feel so much better about myself!

And good advice about those spousal trips. To tell the truth, I think she's still mad at me for selling the Porsche C2- she just loved that car. Which I always thought was a bit strange, because it was lowered, stiff, no cat, Cup pipe and pretty loud.

I suspect that I will keep the Vantage as well. Love the way it drives, although I've certainly been babying it to this point. And it is the prettiest "new" car I think I have seen - the color combo is my all-time favorite and the cosmetic condition is virtually 100%. Can't find any nits to pick other than a few small hickies in the clear bra. But I have a long history of falling in love with cars, then getting bored with them and selling them on for something else. I've been married to the same woman for 40+ years, but am a serial philanderer when it comes to cars!

Old 03-18-2018, 03:59 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike Gray
But I have a long history of falling in love with cars, then getting bored with them and selling them on for something else. I've been married to the same woman for 40+ years, but am a serial philanderer when it comes to cars!

There are just too many cars I want to own/experience and can't afford own all of them at once...

Old 03-18-2018, 04:11 PM
^^^^^ This. My problem as well. I've finally arrived at a time in my life when I can further indulge (within reason - no Ferrari 458 Italia yet, but it's on the list) my fascination with cars and am still able to get in and out of the things and shift the gears! This Vantage sure checks one off the list. I love the 2 old BMWs I've got now, and don't see myself parting with them as long as I have space, which is a big issue. I've owned a bunch of older Porsches though the years but have yet to own one of the newer ones (997 or 991), so that will likely be the next ride at some point. Was actually shopping for a GTS when I got very pleasantly side-tracked by this Vantage - certainly a far different personality from those Teutonic machines!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:41 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
How cool is it that the original owner finds his car on this forum that a new member purchases?! Wow!

Gorgeous car and hope you have a ton of fun. You will love the reactions from other people when they see your interior is not the standard beige/black