Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Winter project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:35 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Winter project

Well I'm not sure if anyone else tried this before but here goes...

My Door Armrest (specially the driver side) was all scratch and didn't show very well. I could have gone the way of getting it re-sprayed but I though that I would try something different and see if I like it.

Top Sand blasted, bottom 220 grit to level and remove cast imperfections

Sand blasted and 220 grit

Still some imperfection showing

I first tried to remove the paint with Aceton, that was a No Go, after 48hrs in that stuff nothing nada, second tried the Aircraft stripper it did not affect the paint except getting it a little dull. So I was left with Sandblasting the parts just like Jimshadow did on his DBS Shifter, that did work but took about 7hrs to complete blasting everything off (inside and out).

I use my palm sander with 220 grit to level the parts as they are far from perfect casting and the primer they use filled in all those imperfections. I still have a long way to go before they are close to what I want them to be but the winter here in Canada has just started

Let me know what you think, I also have a DBS Shifter and polished shifter base so I think it will look ok... I was also debating if I was going to get laser engraved after it was all polished...

Old 12-03-2016, 04:39 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
I like it, a different option to the carbon fibre which is the "obvious" alternative. Should look good in conjunction with the shifter

Look forward to more photos when done

Graze

Old 12-03-2016, 05:04 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
I agree will look good combined with the shifter. However, don't Laser Engrave it, do a clear vinyl emplaced sticker with the large wings or AM name. If you do the wings you can do the Green Center.

I am or have opted for that myself on my door sill plates. I went with Copper plates to match up to my Copper Calipers, which eventually plan to possible take the DBS shifter and have done in copper also. The Glass Buttons and ***** on radio might have done in Copper also similar to pictures that have been shown. But I wanted detail in my sill plates with Color on the Wings. So opted for the Clear Printed Vinyl. Easily removed if desired just like your door centers. Just an idea'

Old 12-03-2016, 06:50 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys, I really like the clear vinyl sticker option as I didn't like the idea of laser etch aluminum as it turns white... Lots of work in the upcoming months but I think it will be worth it, I will also need to find a top coat to protect the finish so if someone have ideas please let me know... I was thinking of getting it clear coated (paint shop and baked) but that will probably be prone to chipping again... the other idea was getting it anodized... As soon as I have more to show I will post them.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:33 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Thanks guys, I really like the clear vinyl sticker option as I didn't like the idea of laser etch aluminum as it turns white... Lots of work in the upcoming months but I think it will be worth it, I will also need to find a top coat to protect the finish so if someone have ideas please let me know... I was thinking of getting it clear coated (paint shop and baked) but that will probably be prone to chipping again... the other idea was getting it anodized... As soon as I have more to show I will post them.

I have the perfect product but, you will need enough of it to completely cover the item in a bath, then apply 50amps voltage to it for 45 seconds then blow the water off and bake at 130 degrees for 25 min.

CERAMIX Nano-Ceramic E-Coating, Transparent The piece will still feel, sound like normal but be coated with this coating. Google that and you will find it at Rio Grande. But wont be cheap due to the amount in the bath. Likely better to Automotive clear it, which can be polished and protected the same as your paint due to costs.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 AM
OH, and I would incrementally sand all the way up to 3000 grit but at 1k start wet sanding.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Metal polish on a dremel large wheel will also help a lot once you get it smooth. Several great brands but IMHO I would get a buffing wheel for an electric drill and move forward with metal polishes.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
One thing to keep in mind - not sure if this applies because this is the first time I've seen a door bar stripped down (awesome, btw!) - is that the bare metal might be weather-sensitive. I've noticed that SheriffDep's DBS shift **** does get noticeably colder in the mornings. It's late in the year so I can't compare how it does with heat, but it does react to cold. The door bar is out of the way a bit, but brushing up against cold/hot metal while driving or getting in/out of the car may be a bit uncomfortable if you're taken by surprise. You've got the same shift **** so I'm sure you're aware of it, but something to keep in mind (and food for thought for people that don't have experience with that shift ****).

Something that would be pretty cool is doing a brushed finish on all the metal trim - the door bars, the shift ****, and the shifter surround (which is milled aluminum, btw!). If you can give it a cool brush-line look, that'd be awesome, I think!

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Old 12-03-2016, 07:37 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Love when people share their little projects. Looking forward to pictures along the way. Maintenance wise I think anodized may be the way to go.

Just me, or do others think about how hard or easy some modification will be to maintain before doing it? That would look cool but .....

Old 12-03-2016, 09:54 AM
TorontoDB9 is an unknown quantity at this point
The metal on my door handles are also deeply marked. I think the previous owner would just press the seatbelt release button and let the buckle fly across the car. Some marks are quite deep and are concentrated near the back edge of the door. Can't share any photos because the car is under its winter cover, but the paint finish (I think that's what it is) is badly chipped.

: (

Really great project. OP, look forward to seeing the results!

Old 12-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
What about this idea, have a clear bra material put over the bare metal and that would protect it from becoming patinaed and fingerprints and also from the seatbelt.
Ron

Old 12-04-2016, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
OH, and I would incrementally sand all the way up to 3000 grit but at 1k start wet sanding.
I started wet sanding at 400 next is 600/800/1000/1500/2000/3000 and I change direction at every level so that it is easier to see when I am done.

Originally Posted by Redpants
One thing to keep in mind - not sure if this applies because this is the first time I've seen a door bar stripped down (awesome, btw!) - is that the bare metal might be weather-sensitive. I've noticed that SheriffDep's DBS shift **** does get noticeably colder in the mornings. It's late in the year so I can't compare how it does with heat, but it does react to cold. The door bar is out of the way a bit, but brushing up against cold/hot metal while driving or getting in/out of the car may be a bit uncomfortable if you're taken by surprise. You've got the same shift **** so I'm sure you're aware of it, but something to keep in mind (and food for thought for people that don't have experience with that shift ****).

Something that would be pretty cool is doing a brushed finish on all the metal trim - the door bars, the shift ****, and the shifter surround (which is milled aluminum, btw!). If you can give it a cool brush-line look, that'd be awesome, I think!

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
I don't think it will get hotter as it is still the same material... I will take some pictures at every grit so you will be able to see what a brush-line would look like

Originally Posted by Old phart
Love when people share their little projects. Looking forward to pictures along the way. Maintenance wise I think anodized may be the way to go.

Just me, or do others think about how hard or easy some modification will be to maintain before doing it? That would look cool but .....
Thanks... I was talking to an Anodizing shop and they also recommended after anodizing to Clear Coat it... might just skip the anodizing part but we'll see.

Originally Posted by TorontoDB9
The metal on my door handles are also deeply marked. I think the previous owner would just press the seatbelt release button and let the buckle fly across the car. Some marks are quite deep and are concentrated near the back edge of the door. Can't share any photos because the car is under its winter cover, but the paint finish (I think that's what it is) is badly chipped.

: (

Really great project. OP, look forward to seeing the results!
Thanks but if you want to do like I am doing get ready to put lots of elbow grease as it is time consuming but for me love working with my hands

Originally Posted by Ron Avery
What about this idea, have a clear bra material put over the bare metal and that would protect it from becoming patinaed and fingerprints and also from the seatbelt.
Ron
Clear bra material would be hard to get in and around the door pull... maybe a spay clear bra like 3M might do it.

I finish the 400 grit sanding yesterday afternoon, here is some results, it will be easier to do the 600 in the other direction...

400 grit wet sanded... long way to go to 3000

400 grit Wet Sanded

more 400 grit Wet Sanded

Last edited by handyman2009; 12-04-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 12-04-2016, 02:02 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Great project. One of the few advantages in living where there is a cold winter
Where I am in Florida a project like this might never happen.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Anytime you want to switch location...

But I do agree, I would never do it if it was on the road... I would have probably buy used one from the Internet and start playing with them which is an option for everyone that don't have to put their car away like the northern folks like us

Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
That looks great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.