Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8vantage dead battery not starting ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Registered PM
Roddracer is an unknown quantity at this point
V8vantage dead battery not starting ????

Hello guys , hope some here can help out.

2009 v8 vantage , let it sit for 2 months inside since im in chily wisconsin.
battery was dead , i jump started it according the manual. it starts instantly but quits right after about 2secs later.
ideas?
in the past i did jump it once about a year ago with no problems.
im thinking about taking the battery out and charging it completely up. maybe its bad or needs to be completely charged to power the fuel pump?

thanks in advance , RR

Old 05-06-2018, 11:40 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
I would strongly suggest buying a new battery. Astons don't like weak or batteries in poor condition.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Registered PM
Roddracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello for the record,
replacing te battery solved the problem! thank you for the advice.!

Old 05-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Great- hope you enjoy your WI driving season! Some fight the need for battery replacement. Here in FL I believe the battery in an AM is just another Preventive Maintenance item that needs changed every 3 years. Just like non use - - the summer heat is rough on them. Unless your AM is a daily driver, I believe in the used of a proper battery maintainers no matter where you live. BTW if you have a 5 year battery most likely the new battery will be free. I have had 2 new FREE replacement batteries in the last few years.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:38 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
Great- hope you enjoy your WI driving season! Some fight the need for battery replacement. Here in FL I believe the battery in an AM is just another Preventive Maintenance item that needs changed every 3 years. Just like non use - - the summer heat is rough on them. Unless your AM is a daily driver, I believe in the used of a proper battery maintainers no matter where you live. BTW if you have a 5 year battery most likely the new battery will be free. I have had 2 new FREE replacement batteries in the last few years.
could you elaborate on the free battery part? i am a bit confused. are you saying AM dealer give out free battery if yours is more than 5 years old? does that work for out of warranty vehicles?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by howzz1854
could you elaborate on the free battery part? i am a bit confused. are you saying AM dealer give out free battery if yours is more than 5 years old? does that work for out of warranty vehicles?
No, not from an AM dealer. I purchased my (correct size and spec) battery from an independent dealer. After 3 years it seemed not to have the same starting power. I brought the old battery in, they tested it and found it not to be within the expected range of service condition. Gave me a new battery, no questions no cost. The 5 year warranty was from the battery manufacture/dealer. I know an Aston owner who purchased his from SAMS and got the same treatment, a free exchange under warranty.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:35 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Good to know. the reason why i ask is because i am running on a 7 year old battery. although still tested strong, i still just feel a bit hairy.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:56 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Roddracer
Hello for the record,
replacing te battery solved the problem! thank you for the advice.!
I suspect Aston's electrical system detects low voltage and will prevent things from operating where an older car would let it limp along. A completely dead battery, one that won't even take a charge, will be a drain on the system and provide a low voltage, serving to strangle an electrical system.

I've had much better luck with AGM batteries than traditional wet cells. They are more mechanically robust and seem to be more tolerant of occasional run downs.

I sounds like you've had the battery run flat before, it's best to attach a battery tender if you haven't already (NOT a trickle charger) to ensure that your new battery doesn't suffer the same fate as your last one.