Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2019 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:09 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Will write up a specific review with pictures on a separate thread tonight

Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 AM
mrklas will become famous soon enough
You like the Sportshift transmission? I figured the ZF8 would be an improvement of in the shifting smoothness and speed of the sportshift.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Yes, I think the Sportshift is a perfect blend of manual and involvement, or 'feel'. It's kinda raw and gives the car a personality. Since I use the car as a driver and not a street racer or track car, so a millisecond means nothing to me, I like the feel and feedback. As far as the ZF with Aston's programming, I found it irritating when trying to paddle shift, it was something less involving - distant. If I was interested in being a street racer, the Vantage would not be high on the list. If I wanted an elegant sportscar that I felt special in, and proud owning as a reward for working my *** off for 50 years, the V12S or most of the V8 Vantages would be on the top of the list. Sorry, but if the older Vantages did not happen, and my only choice was the new one, Aston would be on the absolute bottom of the list. Hideous on the inside, no elegance, just in your face street racer looks, zero elegance, and no soul. The older Astons on start up stated: Power - Beauty - Soul, my V12S states instead - Pure Aston. The new Vantage will price high (another big mistake) and if you want to be that bad boy look at me street racer, there are more options (slightly used Hurcan, and Ferrari) that have that look at me factor and a better interior, or F-Type, Vette, Porsche, etc. with a few performance and body mods at a much lower cost. The DB 11 remains the only elegant Aston option.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
These are pre-production / not-for-sale cars, correct? Andy Palmer only posted Thursday that Job1 rolled off the assembly line...

Last edited by yankee04; 05-20-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: wrong url
Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 AM
mrklas will become famous soon enough
Thanks for sharing your observations Prefurbia

I've owned a 2012 V8M and have driven the V8 with SportShift on the road, V8S with Sportshift at Millbrook proving grounds and V12S Sportshift at Spa. My limited road exposure was not positive - my daily driver was a 2011 M3 with DCT. My observation was the Sportshift was very good on the track but I felt like I was driving a manual with someone else pushing in the clutch pedal on the street.

When I owned my V8M, I received a loaner of DB9 with the ZF auto and thought it was nice for driving around town.

I'm not sure sure if I want an Italian sports car. May just decide to not replace my 911...after all if there isn't a car that truly inspires one to get in it and drive - the pursuit of such a vehicle is better than settling for one that almost makes you want to drive it.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mrklas
My observation was the Sportshift was very good on the track but I felt like I was driving a manual with someone else pushing in the clutch pedal on the street.
An astute observation, considering that is exactly what the Sportshift system does...

Old 05-20-2018, 01:14 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Yes Mrklas, the Sportshift is a manual with automated clutch - it makes a terrible replacement for an automatic Drive mode, so you modulate the gas and manually shift with paddles to get the most out of it, otherwise it's not very good. Driven as intended - very good.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Yes Mrklas, the Sportshift is a manual with automated clutch - it makes a terrible replacement for an automatic Drive mode, so you modulate the gas and manually shift with paddles to get the most out of it, otherwise it's not very good. Driven as intended - very good.
Exactly. I love the involvement of the SS in my Vanquish; so much better than using the paddles on a ZF. But if you have to let it shift on its own, the ZF, no contest.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
It would seem that AM made the new Vantage as ugly as possible just to increase sales of the DB11.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Yorick
It would seem that AM made the new Vantage as ugly as possible just to increase sales of the DB11.
-maybe

Old 05-23-2018, 08:47 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrklas

I'm not sure sure if I want an Italian sports car. May just decide to not replace my 911...after all if there isn't a car that truly inspires one to get in it and drive - the pursuit of such a vehicle is better than settling for one that almost makes you want to drive it.
Have you driven the Evora 400?