Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I see that the 'jacked up' look from the excessive fender gap is present and correct. At least Aston remembered their heritage for one part of the car...

Old 05-20-2018, 12:57 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Pictures don't do any of these cars justice, you have to see them in 3D and I did not hate it as much in person and actually started to like some of the details. I wish they had used this in Spectre and released the DB10 as the production car because I find it more pleasing.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...e-2019-vantage

Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Pictures don't do any of these cars justice, you have to see them in 3D and I did not hate it as much in person and actually started to like some of the details. I wish they had used this in Spectre and released the DB10 as the production car because I find it more pleasing.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...e-2019-vantage
I've seen it in person. It didn't help. I've never seen the DB10 in person but I think it's fantastic looking. The 2d viewing is not the problem.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:07 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Let's just agree the DB10 would have gone over better with this crowd

Old 05-20-2018, 09:13 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
No offense, but "you have to see it in person" ranks right up there with corporate "explanations" of a car in confirming it has a serious problem.

A good looking car looks good in pictures and in person, and I don't need any 'Chief Creative Officers' to tell me why I should actually like a car when I don't.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:56 PM
None taken, but it is a fact any sculpture always looks better or worse in the flesh. I know my car looks better in person than pictures. In 2006 I saw pics online and said "that's a beautiful car", but I parked next to one in 08' and fell hard, pictures just don't convey how beautiful a V8V really is, or a DB9, or this 2019 V.

Not that anybody has to like it, I'm definitely not in love with it, but after seeing it in person the things I hated about it, I didn't hate as much. It doesn't make me want to trade mine in on one but it does make mine look the decade old it is. Thankfully the design is timeless

Old 05-21-2018, 03:25 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by spinecho
No offense, but "you have to see it in person" ranks right up there with corporate "explanations" of a car in confirming it has a serious problem.

A good looking car looks good in pictures and in person, and I don't need any 'Chief Creative Officers' to tell me why I should actually like a car when I don't.
+1
A questionable design always looks better in person, especially if deep down inside you really want tp like the car. The reason is that the mind skips over the bad parts of the design and languish on the parts that looks good.
In a picture there is no such luxury, the photograph does not change the questionable parts of the design. It forces you to unflinching look at it until you look at another photograph.
As I have said before, look at the great car designs over the years, if it’s a great design it looks great in pictures AND in person.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:05 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I do think most cars do look better in person.

One that stands out for me is the 1st gen NSX. I was not impressed when that car was shown in the magazines when it was first introduced. All you get in pictures are the slightly bland, blocky lines. But seeing it in person, it has a lot more presence, a nice low stance and great proportions that don't come through in pictures.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:51 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Just read Road & Track's review of the new Vantage (June-2018). They weren't very kind to our Vantage's.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Check the original post I added in a whole bunch of information that I just received and added in a whole bunch more pictures

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Redpants
I see your Miata and raise you 2nd-gen Eclipse.
A long, long time ago, I had two of those. I like the soft body lines of cars from the 90s like the Eclipse (don't look at the back, it's a horror show), Supra and the Rx-7.

I don't know why the shape of the headlights resembling a Miata or Eclipse is a problem for anyone. To me, the size of the headlight clusters is what's off. They're too small. Look how much wider and closer the clusters are on the Eclipse and Miata than they are on the Vantage. The Vantage looks more like a dear than the Tiger that Aston's marketing want's to portray. Sad that the Japanese did a better styling job 25+ years ago than one of the most renowned marques in history.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
The reason AM made this Vantage so hideous is to steer prospective customers towards the DB11 V8.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:57 PM
Whoever close wants to write their own review, Kerbeck in Palmyra, 5/23 - 24, 10AM - 6PM.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Yorick
The reason AM made this Vantage so hideous is to steer prospective customers towards the DB11 V8.
While a reasonable thought, they actually made the new Vantage to go after a NEW segment of buyers, younger ones to be exact, and not current Aston owners. So while we all debate on how we like it or hate it, we are currently Aston owners, and Corporate is not targeting us for purchases.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Damn those seats are comfortable, and that 500ft'pound of torque is addictive!! Flipping the ride from nice and comfy to trackable, I wish I could have turned the nannies off but that got a fast hard NO. Oh if it was only a stick!

The more I see it in person the more it grows on you. I took lots of shots of it beside my car and it's definitely 3" longer and 5" wider, especially the rear haunches. They look fantastic thru the rear view mirrors.

Expect the 5.2 under the hood pretty soon as they roll out more variations. The engine bay is the same as the 11.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread