Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 05:30 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by larryg
My brother who has never owned an Aston called me after reading the R&T article on the new Vantage. " Hideous" was his comment on the new Aston.
Enough said!

You're brother doesn't know what he's missing. I love the new styling!

Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yankee04
You're brother doesn't know what he's missing. I love the new styling!
Oh, so you're the one.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:44 AM
NFS2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
I see where they might have been trying to go with the new style, but they missed the mark a little. I waited 2 years for the new engine and trans, but when I saw the body for the first time I went running to find a 2016 GTS.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:00 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I really don't like China Grey, and mine is filthy. And please excuse the grainy pics, this contract is almost up and this phone will be replaced with a better camera. I thought about taking my Canon but doubted I'd have a chance to park beside it. They suck but they're good enough so compare lines.

And it's very unfair to both comparing a 1st gen body, a second gen would be much more fair with the splitter and extended ducktail, but I don't understand how anybody can't see the Aston lines in the new V. The DNA is absolutely there. It spent some time in Chernobyl and has mutated greatly, but it's still Aston DNA, on steroids. Nobody has to like the way it's evolving, but if it's not moving forward it's falling behind. And it makes my car look "vintage, while the new one, may be a little too modern for me. But every time I see it it grows on me a little more.

One thing I can guarantee, I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 14 months, a warning [86/65], a $54 delaying traffic [97/65 blowing by him in the fast lane], and a "Keep it down" [mid 70's in a 45]. If I'm driving that new wolf, I'm probably suspended right now, but in my pretty car, no points and a $54 fine.
The pictures show good contrast between the two... there are enough design cues so there is no mistaking it's an Aston... not sure which one...?

I figure I'll have 5-8 years to let it grow on me...

FWIW I wish the local LEO's here in Florida were more generous in doling out tickets... I'm on my last "life" here...5 times to take traffic school to avoid points. . I've used up 4...

worst was 120 in a 55 on an on ramp (this was in my Porsche) ... wrote me up for 15 over...

Old 05-28-2018, 02:07 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Another unkind observation I will make about the new car after seeing your side by side photos:

Although it does not actually appear to be too much taller, it looks SO much taller due to the 'styling'.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:28 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
The side by side pictures are very telling. Thanks for doing that. It really highlights how fussy and over designed the new car is while somehow also removing the little jewels that make the original car so elegant yet aggressive and interesting.

I don't understand the comments about the company trying to appeal to different customers. It's very well documented that it takes alot more resources to get a new customer than to keep an existing one. Unless your customers are dying off (like the problem Cadillac was having 20 years ago), it's a very expensive mistake to alienate your current clients.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:19 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MRCW
The pictures show good contrast between the two... there are enough design cues so there is no mistaking it's an Aston... not sure which one...?

I figure I'll have 5-8 years to let it grow on me...

FWIW I wish the local LEO's here in Florida were more generous in doling out tickets... I'm on my last "life" here...5 times to take traffic school to avoid points. . I've used up 4...

worst was 120 in a 55 on an on ramp (this was in my Porsche) ... wrote me up for 15 over...
You have to learn when to take some points and when to take the school. We don't get that option here except once every 5 years you can go to school to drop 2 points, it doesn't avoid them though. We do have a 297 exception where you can change a points ticket into a non points for twice the fine, but you can only use that once every 5 years.

I heard it was very difficult to lose your license in Florida.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:29 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spinecho
Another unkind observation I will make about the new car after seeing your side by side photos:

Although it does not actually appear to be too much taller, it looks SO much taller due to the 'styling'.
It is definitely taller, longer, and far wider. Not sure how much taller, I know 3" longer and 5" wider so it is a bigger car, but I can tell you tall men will have no trouble in this one. I'm 5'9" and I have my seat all the way back, I don't know how tall people drive a previous V8V. In the 2019 I had to put my seat at least 4" forward to get the pedal feel right and it's got loads of headroom.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
It is definitely taller, longer, and far wider. Not sure how much taller, I know 3" longer and 5" wider so it is a bigger car, but I can tell you tall men will have no trouble in this one. I'm 5'9" and I have my seat all the way back, I don't know how tall people drive a previous V8V. In the 2019 I had to put my seat at least 4" forward to get the pedal feel right and it's got loads of headroom.
You must have long legs. I'm 6'1", 34" inseam, my seat has a plenty of backward travel left to go.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:07 PM
32" inseam. My seat is all the way back and my legs still have a good bend at idle. With it on the floor it's pretty straight though.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Most auto manufactures have this problem of following up an iconic car, Ferrari Dino, Jaguar E-Type, BMW 3.0 CS , Chevy 1969-70 Camaro ,ECT.
I think Aston Martin made a big step, instead of an evolution.
They went for a revolution. As I have said before, I like the new Vantage mostly. The front is not perfect and the interior is a bit busy. But I am willing to see how it holds up and what the first styling changes will be. Don't forget, that most customers and press have been on Aston Martin about there lack of tech, on the engine front and Nav, sound systems and more. So they took a big leap to try and compete.
Will I be trading my 2016 GT soon? Not until there is a stick in the new Vantage in a year or so. And I come up with a lot of money. Until then, I love my GT.
Ron

Attached Images  

Last edited by Ron Avery; 05-29-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:59 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Everything is just awful on the new Vantage. All the carbon diffusers and what not are way out of proportion. What is with that sculpting on the bottom of the doors? It throws whatever lines in had going for it off. They even put the gas cap on the wrong side of the car (for us yanks).

Last edited by deckman; 05-29-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:28 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Ron,
Having owned two Dino's, four E-Types, a 3.0 CSi and of course my V8V, I agree that these were very tough cars to follow.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:16 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi Ron...I think the stick will be a HUGE disappointment when introduced. Everything I have read is the gearbox will be completely different than the current new vantage the rear can not use the e-diff...it must be mechanical and the hints have been on detuning the engine as too much torque for the stick system to handle...

My son likes the new vantage....I have mixed emotions but do not hate it.

Aston is smart I think as..they want to finally have a car to offer that does not have the crazy issues of our model vantages. When you want to go public with your stock. You need solid products...not pretty ones with a reputation for everyday problems.

Time will tell...while many will run from the brand others will wait and judge as the car ages.

I am too new an owner just 16 months with my car. I have been lucky with no major issues but expect to be hit sooner or later. I do not feel that way with my company trucks and vans...Why? Outside of normal stuff we get 125-150000 miles on the same transmission...engine...drive train...yes brakes...oil etc...must be done.

Heck...I have a 99 Catera- with over 148000 miles that has less money put into it then my 09 Vantage. Plus I can use that car in the winter...lol

My vantage I doubt will reach over 100000 miles without costing me major money. But that is the fun of owning a low volume car.

Just my thoughts...safe driving everyone...

Old 05-29-2018, 07:43 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Aldv
Aston is smart I think as..they want to finally have a car to offer that does not have the crazy issues of our model vantages. When you want to go public with your stock. You need solid products...not pretty ones with a reputation for everyday problems.

Time will tell...while many will run from the brand others will wait and judge as the car ages.
"Crazy issues"? Everything is relative, I suppose. Anyhow, what guarantee is there that the new car will be so much more reliable?

As for "time will tell...as the car ages", I don't recall that being necessary with the Bez era Vantage. In fact, I think many will agree that it was love at first sight with that car, which is not something you hear about the new car from too many people!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread