Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V won't move, possible clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:24 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
That's general range 13-18. When you see some above 1800 and driving, it kinda changes things. So if you were told "hey you clutch is worn out and reading 1788" would you buy a new one.....I'd roll the dice.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:27 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
interesting. i guess i should find out. will sure sure to report back as i drive it. thanks

Old 05-24-2018, 08:04 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
So we had the car taken to the AM dealer, tech states that he is unable to register any sort of clutch reading

Left the car unhooked from the battery overnight, hooked it back up this morning and the car drives fine

However, reverse gear is a little jittery, it definitely seems like the clutch has shifted a bit or not kissing right. Once the car gets moving it drives completely fine like nothing is wrong at all

I am still leaning towards a bad clutch - I got in contact witht he previous dealers that serviced this car with the previous owner - they all noted the clutch has not been a maintenance item that was replaced in the past 5 years, I think it's safe to say the oem clutch has finally worn down at 32k miles

We checked all of the grounds (was thinking that potentially a ground might've come loose and is causing some sort of wonky issue), those were all fine. Literally no lights or warnings are popping up to indicate anything is wrong, which is leading me to believe it is purely a mechanical issue

Last edited by lilseevs; 05-24-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Reverse is always crazy...the clutch is always grabbing and releasing on ASM ...I try to never keep in reverse more then needed.

Did the dealer finally read your clutch life?

If not take the darn car out get it in the 7000 rpm range you will know if problems...

I still believe your indie did something and not telling you.

I am glad working...keep it out of dealers etc...and drive it. I have over 36000 on original clutch...no slipping. If you do alot of highway driving remember once in gear...no wearing of the clutch on stick or ASM.

Good luck...

Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Aldv
Reverse is always crazy...the clutch is always grabbing and releasing on ASM ...I try to never keep in reverse more then needed.

Did the dealer finally read your clutch life?

If not take the darn car out get it in the 7000 rpm range you will know if problems...

I still believe your indie did something and not telling you.

I am glad working...keep it out of dealers etc...and drive it. I have over 36000 on original clutch...no slipping. If you do alot of highway driving remember once in gear...no wearing of the clutch on stick or ASM.

Good luck...
This is not the normal roughness of the reverse gear, it definitely seems rougher

Yes, last night the car was dropped off but AM was not able to register a reading - this is leading me to believe the clutch is too far gone to even be read?

However, does not explain how the car seems to be driving just fine in normal gears. No loss of power, no shift slippage, you'd never tell there was an issue unless you put it in reverse

It's ironic though, I do all of the work on the car myself - dropped it off for an alignment with 0 issues, next day get the call the car wont move

Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Could the battery have gone flat? I let mine die, and all kinds of strange things happened.

Matt

Old 05-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by hsm precision
Could the battery have gone flat? I let mine die, and all kinds of strange things happened.

Matt
What do you mean by the battery going flat? The car was able to start and run just normally, just not move. Could you explain this a bit more?

Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Well I am seriously confused

i just drove the car back home from the indy with 0 issues, I didn’t really open her up on the freeway as I was paranoid as **** - but it legit seems like there is nothing wrong with the car

Reverse feels like normal reverse, driving is normal, no weird noises or jitters

I am probably going to go ahead with the clutch replace anyways as its probably time, but am just scratching my head here. It looks like all that was needed was for the battery to be disconnected overnight then restarted

Old 05-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Hi,
I meant that the shop may have let the battery go flat, then recharged. I'm just speculating, but maybe some of the clutch learn parameters were lost? There is a procedure to force the learn on startup (but I don't recall the details, and it changes by vintage of the car).

matt

Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
+ 1...I agree

Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM
That could very well be a plausible explanation and I doubt a shop would ever come clean about that as it seems sort of embarrassing

I will drive the car around a bit and see how it performs over the next couple of days

Old 05-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by lilseevs
That could very well be a plausible explanation and I doubt a shop would ever come clean about that as it seems sort of embarrassing

I will drive the car around a bit and see how it performs over the next couple of days
i think you should just drive around see how it goes. it's very possible that it was an electronic glitch that took a reset to restart everything. you'll know if clutch is really dead within the next couple hundred miles, aka a couple gas fill-ups. i am guessing somehow the TCU had a fluke and had to be reset.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM
So i’ve driven it around the past 2 days, casually and some spirited highway pulls - the car seems completely fine

I already preemptively purchased the VelocityAP clutch last week and it looks like the car is still on it’s original clutch (from service history and prior dealership commentary of the previous owner). I may just do the upgrade anyways since the order is in and just for the peace of mind

It could very well have been just an electrical hiccup last weekend but I’d rather be safer than sorry. Hopefully this thread will help in diagnosing clutch issues for anyone in the future, as theres a wealth of knowledge in the posts made by y’all!

Old 05-27-2018, 04:27 PM
I don't know about everyone else. But I think it'll be better to wait until the clutch actually run out to replace with VAP. It's good to have the VAP in hand. But you would be throwing away unused mileage ($$) by changing it out now. Sounds like the car is running fine now. I also plan on purchasing a twin plate backup but plan on using up the original one .

Old 05-27-2018, 04:36 PM
+1...also the more you have people touch your car the more sorry you will become...front end alignment ....simple job...turned into Aston Martin tow...

Chose carefully who installs this clutch...

Good luck...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8V won't move, possible clutch issue?