Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V won't move, possible clutch issue?

Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
V8V won't move, possible clutch issue?

I'd like to preface this with the fact that I've never had any clutch issues, engine issues, even DTCs in my current 8mos of ownership of my 2011 V8V Sportshift

Dropped off my car at an indy exotic dealer last night to have a simple $160 alignment. I legit drove the car around for a good 60 miles doing random errands all day, with 0 issues before dropping it off. This morning, they moved the car around to make room for other cars to get onto the service bays with no issues whatsoever. They estimated they moved the car in and out a good 4 times with no issues, but when it came to actually get my car on the service bay - it would not move.

The car starts just fine, no lights on the dash, idles completely fine, but will not get into gear. When it's put in reverse, the car will not move - the car sounds like it wants to move but the throttle modulates without actually moving the car - it's like the wheels are frozen. It tries to reverse via engine noise, but nothing happens. Putting it in drive just free revs the engine, the clutch doesn't seem to actually be engaging. You can hear the clutch change from R to D just fine, but nothing moves! Again, I've had 0 issues with the car, no slippage whatsoever in my hard driving of the vehicle

Tomorrow, they are going to do a full clutch diagnostic free of charge, flush the trans fluid free of charge, and see if it may be some other sort of sensors. Again, nothing is indicating that there's anything wrong with the car, it just won't move. Yes, I double checked the handbrake myself (:P), but the service dept is also scratching their heads. They said a similar issue happened on a Ferrari they had in a couple of months ago, and it ended up being something about the trans fluid pressure not getting high enough to engage the clutch - they're thinking it may be the same situaition

So far, they've done the clutch relearn procedure, disconnected and hard reset the vehicle with the battery but no success. We'll see what tomorrow's diagnostic brings out

I did have a clutch readout 4 months ago done by our Aston martin dealership here, and they indicated nothing was wrong with the clutch. Attached are the results of the printout they provided me then

Click image for larger version

Name:	KqY7XLg.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	537011

Click image for larger version

Name:	jpakGSx.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	537012

Just wondering if someone else has had similar issues on their ASM cars?

Old 05-21-2018, 05:50 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
did you have them check the ASM clutch fluid reservoir? Another poster here found hydraulic hose leak that caused low fluid. Don't know if this is monitored or not

Old 05-21-2018, 05:57 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MRCW
did you have them check the ASM clutch fluid reservoir? Another poster here found hydraulic hose leak that caused low fluid. Don't know if this is monitored or not
They will be doing that tomorrow, I am also having them check fuse #8 in the trunk that controls the ASM pump - it could've blown

Old 05-21-2018, 06:54 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
30k+ miles, there is not a measured clutch reading on your paperwork. It all hardware/software. Unfortunately that's what a worn clutch does, works fine until it doesn't. I would look at an upgrade for your replacement. AP Velocity.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...did you ask if when you open the driver's door...did the hum of the ASM pump come on? Always does on my car...if no sound check the fuse..

I think someone moved the car wrong and stalled it and popped the fuse. There are many threats of the fuse blowing on this site...

Good luck..
​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Aldv; 05-21-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
30k+ miles, there is not a measured clutch reading on your paperwork. It all hardware/software. Unfortunately that's what a worn clutch does, works fine until it doesn't. I would look at an upgrade for your replacement. AP Velocity.
Yeah I was wondering why I didn't see any mileage readings, the dealer however told me the clutch seemed to be fine after the readout - they didn't see any issues with it when this was done. I'm not debating this at all, just mentioning what the dealer told me

If I need a new clutch I will definitely opt for the VelocityAP option

Originally Posted by Aldv
Hi...did you ask if when you open the driver's door...did the hum of the ASM pump come on? Always does on my car...if no sound check the fuse..

I think someone moved the car wrong and stalled it and popped the fuse. There are many threats of the fuse blowing on this site...

Good luck..
​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Do you know which fuse this is? I checked my manual and it looks like f8 is actually a spare fuse, not the ASM fuse. I'm not finding an ASM fuse labelled anywhere in the manual (it is an online version, not the actual book- don't have one)

Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Go to the car, F8 30amp (green)

Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Apparently the f8 fuse isn't blown, but it has no power coming to it. Is there some sort of fluid level sensor that prevents the pump from kicking on?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Dustan is on a distinguished road
What’s the best way to check the fluid level. Any write ups or how to posts?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:11 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
just to be clear, you're not hearing the electric hum when you open the driver side door?

i need to subscribe to this thread. really interested in what the cause is.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 AM
We do hear the electric hum when opening the door

We have confirmed ASM fluid level is fine, all of the lines/hoses leading to it are not compromised/dont have leaks

They checked pressure

Checked TCM, no fault codes

Checked all fuses and relays over again, all seem to be fine. f8 was putting out some activity

Made sure anything connecting to the drivetrain was still intact (axles, etc)

The only thing is this shop does not have the Aston tool needed to actually check clutch life, and judging by my readout a couple of months ago of no clutch life information, I am deducing it's the clutch

I have installed quite a bit of clutches over the past couple of years and will probably be doing this myself with the VelocityAP kit. I've seen that there is a v2 coming out with a 2 piece flywheel to replicate what the AMR kit offers for our ASM vehicles

I'll update this thread later when I receive the clutch, thank you all for the input! I desperately wanted the last thing for this to be is the clutch as you can tell lol

Old 05-23-2018, 10:42 AM
I'd be really interested to know if really indeed is the clutch. Usuually it should slip before it dies .But there's really no way to tell unless you get a clutch readout .Any chance you can call the dealership and ask than tha more info from the last service interval? I don't see the readout on the sheet you posted. Usually it'll read anywhere between 1300-1800. 1300 being brand spanking new clutch. 1800 being a dead in the water .if they said the clutch was fine when you took it in .they should owe you a clutch readout number.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
They checked for codes in TCM...yes...but did they check to see if still has data or dead?

Old 05-23-2018, 12:36 PM
ASM clutches don't slip they just decide to not work after start up. Have it torn down and you will see a clutch disc that still has life in it. Your at the mercy of the TCM and how it interprets wear and when to shift etc. The readings are not the same from car to car on wear. Depends on what it was at first measured new, then roughly 500counts to worn. 30k is good for clutch life in an ASM. Call AP Velocity and ask for the memorial weekend special.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
ASM clutches don't slip they just decide to not work after start up. Have it torn down and you will see a clutch disc that still has life in it. Your at the mercy of the TCM and how it interprets wear and when to shift etc. The readings are not the same from car to car on wear. Depends on what it was at first measured new, then roughly 500counts to worn. 30k is good for clutch life in an ASM. Call AP Velocity and ask for the memorial weekend special.
this is interesting. are you sure? when i got my PPI done, the dealer told me that a new clutch reading would be 1300, and a dead one would be 1800. and somewhere in the 1750 is when the clutch starts to slip. but what do i know, i am just a new owner.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8V won't move, possible clutch issue?