Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage or V12?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:52 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
if you are a corner carver why didn't you get one with the sports pack?

Old 08-03-2018, 07:45 PM
3rdpedalrequired is an unknown quantity at this point
That is exactly my dilemma...

Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 PM
3rdpedalrequired is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Hey @3rdpedalrequired,
Never saw an answer to "have you driven both".
I ask because after 6 Porsches I had the same problem.
I drove 2 V12s and 2 V8s. Thank you Los Altos Luxury Cars.
I'm a corner carver so the V12s were not an option.
Coming from twin turbos and a supercharged C4S, I wasn't real happy with the V8s either, but I was in love.
Took me 5 months to find a Quantum Gray Metallic 6 speed with 20 spoke wheels.
Took me another 3 years to get it up to 500hp.
Now I'm just as happy as a pig in mud!
Here's the "before" and "after"

before

after
Originally Posted by Mathman85
"3rdpedalrequired"... 2010 to 2014 Vantage... I think you're far more likely to meet those requirements with a V8. I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point, the V12 Vantage only came with a sportshift trans (before they realized the error of their ways and released the doglegged 2017 V12 Vantage S).

By the way, get a copy of The Definitive Guide to new Gaydon era Aston Martin, which will help you narrow down those years. There are some notable differences between a 2010-2012.25 V8 Vantage and a 2012.25-2014 V8 Vantage (not the least of which is larger brakes).

And despite what some of the others on here are saying, not all V8 Vantage owners want a V12. While the V12 Vantage with a QuickSilver exhaust sounds like an F1 car, which is definitely a desirable characteristic, I adore my V8 Vantage. On the street, it has as much power as you could actually use; on a track, the balance is amazing and it still has plenty of power. The last track day I did, a friend of mine was an instructor for a guy in a ~500hp+ Corvette, and they struggled to keep up with me... the V8 is plenty fast.
Thanks! I 've ordered the book.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:06 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I'm a bit late chiming in, but here goes.

I owned an '09 V8V, moved to a '12 V12V, and now have a '15 V12VS. While I did not dislike the V8V, I found it unresolved and underwhelming in several ways. The biggest let down for me was the engine, which to me sounded thrashy and unpleasant unless wrung out a high revs, and with sluggish throttle response. I also found that while the car had good handling balance front to rear, and rotated well on turn in, the sports pack suspension never felt settled, with a disturbing, subtle corkscrewing motion from the rear end, and an unnecessarily harsh ride.

No offence to the V8 guys here, but I found the V12's to be clearly superior. The engines have far more character and are much more responsive, never mind the power and torque upgrade. For me, the sound is on a different plane than the V8. The original V12 has a firm but better controlled suspension than the V8. The S has a better suspension and better traction compared to the original, manual V12V, and I can't say I agree with Prefurbia's comments about being unable to hear the exhaust around town without breaking traction, but then again, I have a decat, and I run PS Cup2's as opposed to Corsas or PZeros. The steering rack on the original V12 is quite stiff and 'manly', which suits the character of the car IMO. The rack on the S is slightly quicker, which is nice, but is a little lighter, which makes it more relaxing on longer drives, but not quite as exciting. I can't comment on later MY V8's, but as with Prefurbia, I found the build quality (fit and finish, leather padding/thickness) of my V12's was clearly superior to my V8.

If you ever plan to track your car, be aware that IMO the OEM cast iron V8 brakes are inadequate for hard track use. Even changing to high temp pads and fluid isn't really enough. In contrast, I've had no issues with the CCM's on my V12's. Although the V8 turns in better due to superior weight distribution, and is a more neutral handling car, the V12's torque gives you more adjustability on corner exit, and the straight line acceleration is obviously superior.

As for maintenance, I've had all my major servicing done at the nearest dealer, about 2.5 hours away, mainly as I am not near a big enough urban centre to have enough competent indie options. Minor things like wheel balancing, tires etc. I've had done locally. In terms of cost, to date I wouldn't say the V12's have been significantly more expensive, but keep in mind that my ownerships have not been very lengthy: 3 years for the V8V, 2.5 years for the V12V, and to date almost 4 years for the S.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Hybrid will become famous soon enoughHybrid will become famous soon enough
Hey SpinEcho,
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have thread "How to get the power to the ground" that could sorely use your impressions of the PS Cup2's.
Hybrid :-)

Old 08-06-2018, 01:22 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Reply posted under that thread.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:07 AM
roketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really niceroketman is just really nice
V8 or V12

I had a 2013 V8 Vantage that I lowered and put a bigger tire package on. I also change the muffler for some nice sound. The handling of the V8 is clearly far superior to the 2017 V 12 I have both cars are manuals. truly for the handling the V-8 is a superior car. lowering the 12 and putting some pilot sport cup twos on it tremendously help the car since I don’t track the car the V 12 is truly just a wonderful Gt as in great a Grand touring car!
if I had to choose for that simple reason I would clearly choose the 2017 V 12 with the manual dog leg. It’s simply a joy to drive. the other advantages are Apple CarPlay and the updated center consul, which I really adore in regard to choosing it over at 911, that’s a hard choice clearly the 911is a wonderful car. I also have a 2019, 911, which I also adore. If I were to choose, or had to choose, I would go with the distinctiveness at the Vantage . It has beautiful lines is more distinctive and is not a dime a dozen. Plus the sound of the V 12 is just stunning.
just my 02