Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Regretting 3 year custom Aston plates..............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:22 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
AMG's from the mid 2000's were blowing up too, the 957 Cayenne would blow up, Fiats... oh god... Heck I just had a friend with a brand new Jeep have her engine catch on fire and total the car!

Old 08-23-2018, 11:05 AM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
For what it's worth, if you haven't already, you need to check with your insurance company.

My friend had a Porsche Cayenne S that vapor locked the engine. Porsche kicked in some, and his insurance company covered most of the rest. Got a factory crate motor installed. Brand new engine with parts warranty can be attractive feature for done buyers.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Dustan is on a distinguished road
I think we need to get some reassurance that this isn’t a oil filter problem. Aston needs to look into a possible bad batch of filters if another filter failed. Please keep us informed.

if this happens to me I would go with the ford crate motor. Not an easy project but should be do able and would sound amazing. Good luck

Old 08-24-2018, 07:58 AM
superuser is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dustan
I think we need to get some reassurance that this isn’t a oil filter problem. Aston needs to look into a possible bad batch of filters if another filter failed. Please keep us informed.

if this happens to me I would go with the ford crate motor. Not an easy project but should be do able and would sound amazing. Good luck
If Aston does have a bad batch of filters that are bricking motors they should be 100% responsible for replacement cost even if the car is out of warranty.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I think it's still too early to presume the oil filter was the root cause. I really do hope the OP continues to investigate though cause at this point nothing is clear as to what "broke" or why. For all we know the oil pump could have failed. A complete drain and inspection of the oil & dissecting the filter might shed some light.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:07 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
No dissection needed, in fact dissection would kill any chance AM would cover anything, you'd have destroyed the evidence. If the filter imploded it can easily be seen by looking inside it. If it looks normal it's fine. If it looks like mine, it's the cause.

I only suspect it because that is exactly how mine went, what it sounded like, and what was affected, the top end. Absolutely could be coincidence, but it's definitely worth investigation.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:38 PM
karmafan84 is an unknown quantity at this point
over

Last edited by karmafan84; 08-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:23 PM

over

Last edited by karmafan84; 08-25-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:20 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Here is are a couple of links to Aston Martin Salvage cars for sale. Definitely worth a look. There is a V8 Vantage near Boston.

https://erepairables.com/salvage-car...n/aston+martin

https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/car.../aston_martin/

Mark

Old 08-24-2018, 05:14 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
This whole story sounds a little over the top. Broken Alfas, $6k towing, trackside oil changes, etc. In one post you said it blew up 2 days after the oil change and then in another, 4 days. And in the photo, the car already looks like it's part way to being a Frankenmotor. Post a photo of your busted in two Alfa, otherwise it (and the rest of this sad tale) didn't happen and is a very creative fantasy to generate forum buzz.i

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 08-24-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
This whole story sounds a little over the top. Broken Alfas, $6k towing, trackside oil changes, etc. In one post you said it blew up 2 days after the oil change and then in another, 4 days. And in the photo, the car already looks like it's part way to being a Frankenmotor. Post a photo of your busted in two Alfa, otherwise it (and the rest of this sad tale) didn't happen and is a very creative fantasy to generate forum buzz.i
Someone had to say it and I agree . I think theres just a hint of truth embellishment .....

Old 08-24-2018, 10:28 PM
over

Last edited by karmafan84; 08-25-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:59 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I understand why nobody befriended you at the Aston meet you attended. I've read some pretentious posts before, but yours is in a class by itself. You've got money up the ying yang according to you, so quit your *****in' and moanin' and just buy another car; just make sure it's not an Aston, please. What a tool...

Old 08-24-2018, 11:25 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
im 34, retired in February after all of this occurred and we received an 800,000,000 dollar offer. I retired the day the deals.was done
Holy F3g !!!!!!!

Call a psychiatrist - you are in serious need of help.

chr

Old 08-24-2018, 11:25 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karmafan84

how could something so beautiful be so cruel
I saw that 14', looks like body only but make sure nothing got the the engine. It's also mounted in a cradle so hopefully nothing disturbed the cradle. It looks fine in the front, what bugs me is why the rears are pointing outward. But for the $8k it'll probably cost you, plus the shipping, you get a 5000 mile 4.7.

How can something so beautiful be so cruel?

Overpaid for mine because I was getting really tired of the 9 month search, and it was Daniel Craigs Hollywood driver. It checked all the boxes, low mileage, full service history, gentleman owned, impeccable condition, provenance was Craig and the president and CEO of Microsoft [who I bought it from] . The next day off the delivery truck I realize the clutch is smoked at 5700 miles. Did my research and put in the V12 clutch, and it turns out to be a really noisy clutch pack. But within a month I realize the car has a stalling problem. Like once every 150 miles. Usually just embarrassing but it tried to commit suicide a couple times. Thanks to Mathman who sent an email to CEO Andy Palmer about it, evidently they threw down the gauntlet to fix this car, and everybody has been fantastic in that endeavor. After several software attempts and sending an engineer over they decided it was the lightweight clutch and changed it back to factory stock, to no benefit except it was quieter again, but stalled 100 miles later. In the meantime I checked the oil 5000 miles after service and saw how dirty it looked and figured I'd do the oil every 5000 instead of every 10,000. It was that extra careful oil change filter that imploded and melted down the engine [I melted it down in a panic, but it was already toast like yours, when you have metal shavings it's a rebuild]. Because it was dealer serviced they fought hard and got corporate to cover it under warranty of a dealer installed part failure. It took 2 months and $1800 in rental fees before I got it back [bringing my rental total to about $3000 for the year], turns out they sent a brand new engine, stem to stem, fully wired, and not the remanufactured long block they were expecting. Either way it's no longer numbers matching, but I was always going to drive the car 100,000 miles anyway. A couple weeks after I get it back I notice my dash is all lit up with stardust when the sun hits it right and I have my polarized sunnies on. So cool, how did I not notice this for over a year?! Until I have come to piece together, it's not, it was never there to notice. It's the same silver, teal, and pink mica that is the base of every Lightning or Mako, or probably most Aston paint, and it's not only on every piece of leather, it's also on every piece of plastic, inside, and out, and just tonight I went out and checked my underhood fuse box and it's on it also, as well as the valve covers and everything under the hood. Somehow when it was getting the engine put in, either they did paint work on my car, or a car near enough that mine was caught in the cloud and it settled everywhere. I just put all that together in the last week, so I'm a little edgy about it right now. Although I believe I've found a solution from somebody on Youtube on how to get the paint off the leather [and hopefully everything else] without damaging it. And at least it's only stalled twice in 3000 miles, so that's a huge improvement. But when I went in to get the break in oil changed over and they found the water pump gasket was leaking, the service writer pointed out that every piece of leather on my dash had popped and needs all the panels pulled and reworked.

No wonder the British say "keep a stiff upper lip".

And yet - I still love my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regretting 3 year custom Aston plates..............