Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Regretting 3 year custom Aston plates..............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:29 AM
karmafan84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Regretting 3 year custom Aston plates..............

over

Last edited by karmafan84; 08-25-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
If you can't find a used motor, then part it out. Trying to swap in a crate motor will bankrupt you.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:26 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
So sorry to hear about your situation. Definitely devastating.

Speaking to a few Aston mechanics, they've mentioned that they rarely replace v8 engines and can count on their hands how many times they've seen it happen. Your case is the second one I've read about here on the forums.

If I were in your place, I'd part out and get as much money as I can.

You can sell relatively quickly as there are people looking for parts for our cars at a good price, especially for the interior and electronics. Try using craigslist and eBay or check with your local salvage yard.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:09 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I realize you had the 4.7 but If it were mine I'd drop in this 4.3L AM engine for $8500 US and get it back running. Then you part out the old 4.7L engine to recover your cost.

Used Aston Martin 4.3L Vantage V8 Engine

Old 08-22-2018, 08:13 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
If you can't find a used motor, then part it out. Trying to swap in a crate motor will bankrupt you.
+1 for a used motor. Vantages are not immune to being crashed. There has to be used motors available somewhere.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
while the thought of putting the GT350 engine in that would be an amazing project and the performance would be insane... i'm not so sure it would work without costing you the cost of a new car... but it would certainly be a kick *** project and parting out your current engine would probably absorb a bit of cost

Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Send it to Bamford Rose and have them rebuild the motor bored out to 5.0L and re-tuned for improved performance:

http://www.bamfordrose.com/partners-usa/

Or ask if they are interested in buying your car as a donor car??

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-24-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:54 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I was where you are 8 months ago [including the stalling problems, but most important the blown engine]. I suspect you have the exact same problem I did, the oil filter imploded. It's all documented in this thread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-cheap.html

But that is what I'd have your mechanic check right now. Filter imploded gutting flow and starving the top end.

I had seriously thought about dropping in a Hellcat crate motor in the interim before they accepted responsibility and replaced it under warranty. Thankfully my service was done at an authorized dealer, if yours was you might be looking at a different resolution. But wrecked V8V's are always coming up, there was one 2010 that sold for $8000 on ebay while they had my car waiting for the engine to come in. There are never 4.7's for sale, 4.3's, there are plenty.

You mentioned twice rebuilt title. The engine has nothing to do with the title. The title would be the same title you have now, it's just no longer a numbers matching car.

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 08-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
What is your custom Aston plates? Do they come with the car?

Old 08-23-2018, 01:47 AM
over

Last edited by karmafan84; 08-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:11 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I was where you are 8 months ago [including the stalling problems, but most important the blown engine]. I suspect you have the exact same problem I did, the oil filter imploded. It's all documented in this thread
This possibility is interesting?

Karmafan84 - what type of oil filter was in your car when this happened? How long (Miles/time) had it been installed? Do you know who installed it? What type/weight oil were you using?

Old 08-23-2018, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by BMW-North
This possibility is interesting?

Karmafan84 - what type of oil filter was in your car when this happened? How long (Miles/time) had it been installed? Do you know who installed it? What type/weight oil were you using?
OEM filter ordered from redpants, along with the recomended 10w 60 oil. I had the service performed 4 days before this happened. I was at a track day (didnt take my car out on the track as Mclaren, Benz, Aston and BMW were letting some of us take out their new line up. When asked why i wasnt driving my car i mentioned it was due for a brake flush and oil change and after having a bad year with cars reliability in general i didnt want to risk it.
A few members of their racing team said pull it up to their station and they would knock it out in 30 minutes. The box with all the supplies came two days earlier and i had been keeping everything in my trunk waiting to find time to bring it in somewhere.

The odd part to me is that its not leaking, overheating, driving poorly or showing any code on the dash or through the diagnostic port. It absolutely sounded like metal on metal grinding and when we did find flakes in the the oil when we drained some to see if it was leaking at all. For all intensive purposes if it were not for the noise i would have no idea anything was wrong. we checked the new oil filter and its still functioning and seated properly. One guess my mechanic had was that the previous buyer used a very different viscosity oil since he lived in the deep south and as i had been dealing with some electric shorts as well there is a chance an oil pump didnt have the pressure or the power to feed the top end.

Its a strange sound though. the frequency of lifters ticking but with the force of moderate clangs with a wrench against the intake manifold. Either way calls yesterday into the dealership and corporate were not met with warm sympathy. They made it clear send them 40k plus my motor and if my motor only has light damage and can be rebuilt and sold they will send me half my money back - this does not including shipping or labor. im confident the engine is in good shape but they hold all the cards once i ship it to them so im not willing to take a 50k risk on a car that is just barely worth that after a sticker of 147k.

Looking at receipts and the mileage this car literally cost 22 dollars per mile it was driven not accounting for gas or insurance. I asked the gentleman on the phone if he was a car enthusiast which he replied he was. i told him while driving home tonight every two miles throw a 50 dollar bill out the sun roof and when you get home tell me if you enjoyed your commute as much as you normally do.

This happened right after in January I had to move my Alfa 4c Spyder to another garage I own and the temperature started to drop while on the way. heading up a hill two lanes merged and a truck wouldnt let me over and attempting to speed past him the lack of any electric control or tire heat put me into a spin. thankfully i saw a patch of grass and drove off the road about 15 feet not hitting a thing. Within 5 minutes a tow truck showed up with a sheriff and they insisted my car be towed. it was not in an accident, was still running and i lived 3 miles away. they insisted and then i saw them bring in a crane to pick it up........this crane was used to pick up a derailed train a few months back. me and 3 neighbors picked up the alfa a few nights earlier to position it in the garage. i begged them not to lift it, showed in the manual how it said you cant pick it up as all the weight is in the middle of the carbon chassis. i recorded the whole thing and at 3 ft the suspension and wheels gave way, 5ft drive saft broke, 7 engine mounts with the engine crashing intot he cabin then a loud rip and my 451 mile Alfa was resting in two parts in front of me. i had it 5 weeks. They refused to take it to the dealership though against he law and gave me a bill for 6k for the tow and crane service. fought them for two weeks then just paid it planning to sue later. car was gone, but i had video of me telling them what would happen, it happening and a walk around showing the car being intact.
I lost the case for breaking the car and for the excessive tow charge. I learned in our state there is a law that if a car is off the road and the driver of the tow truck thinks the car will be damaged by being left there, human life is at risk or its causing environmental harm (they said they thought it was leaking race fuel????) they can take whatever means necessary to correct course. The law also said i was to sign off on the charges prior to them being assessed but the judge said in light of the overall lose 6k hardly seems worth providing a secondary judgement. 14 years with a license only 1 ticket and not a single wreck. in one year two exotics totaled in 6 weeks without me being questioned, and now a 3rd blowing up on me for getting into it at 30 mph.

seeing how ive crossed the 500k mark for 12 months i think its time i take up a new hobby that is less expensive. Play golf with 24k gold centers, start a charity to give homeless dogs spa days. The list of dismal idea are almost endless

Old 08-23-2018, 07:00 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
OP- sorry to hear about your recent car issues...maybe time to move to another state, I have a hard time understanding how a tow truck driver gets to touch an individuals car without permission. I feel for you.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:19 AM
I'm easily confused. So did the race team do the oil change? What did you find NOW in the 2 scavenger mesh filters. Have you removed the oil filter and cut it open to inspect? Also have you or the chap helping you used a borescope to start inspecting.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:51 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by karmafan84
Within 5 minutes a tow truck showed up with a sheriff and they insisted my car be towed. it was not in an accident, was still running and i lived 3 miles away. they insisted and then i saw them bring in a crane to pick it up........this crane was used to pick up a derailed train a few months back. me and 3 neighbors picked up the alfa a few nights earlier to position it in the garage. i begged them not to lift it, showed in the manual how it said you cant pick it up as all the weight is in the middle of the carbon chassis. i recorded the whole thing and at 3 ft the suspension and wheels gave way, 5ft drive saft broke, 7 engine mounts with the engine crashing intot he cabin then a loud rip and my 451 mile Alfa was resting in two parts in front of me. i had it 5 weeks. They refused to take it to the dealership though against he law and gave me a bill for 6k for the tow and crane service. fought them for two weeks then just paid it planning to sue later. car was gone, but i had video of me telling them what would happen, it happening and a walk around showing the car being intact.
I lost the case for breaking the car and for the excessive tow charge. I learned in our state there is a law that if a car is off the road and the driver of the tow truck thinks the car will be damaged by being left there, human life is at risk or its causing environmental harm (they said they thought it was leaking race fuel????) they can take whatever means necessary to correct course. The law also said i was to sign off on the charges prior to them being assessed but the judge said in light of the overall lose 6k hardly seems worth providing a secondary judgement. 14 years with a license only 1 ticket and not a single wreck. in one year two exotics totaled in 6 weeks without me being questioned, and now a 3rd blowing up on me for getting into it at 30 mph.
Frankly can't believe this... it sounds like something out of a surreal nightmare. Seriously, you have video of all of this, including the bit where you asked/warned them not to do it, and they still get to walk away without any culpability? Were you representing yourself or did you have a lawyer? Have you consulted a lawyer about an appeal? It sounds nuts...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regretting 3 year custom Aston plates..............